4/2 Roll Call Last Day!

DiMe

Off the snow at 1045 to head to soccer.  Enjoyable morning to me, but then I've never been an irrational Camelback hater. Last few runs things were getting a bit softer even over on Nile Mile and Pocono Raceway. Bet it was great 30-45 minutes after I had to quit.

Think this was my first Camelback visit since before the pandemic, but it reminded me that I do quite like the place. Not $275ish add-on to my Blue pass like it, but if they have triple tickets sub $130 next season I'm likely in for one. If I was midway between them instead of 20 minutes to Blue and 45 to Camelback, I'd probably spring for the add-on.

Debated running into the rental shop to see about setups for the boys (no not kidding) but didn't think I could get in and out and to the soccer field by noon. Did squeeze in a stop to grab takeout from Zack's tho.

20230402_112320.thumb.jpg.f9b9f5ab905086ee5d30e607ae6c5b55.jpg

Edited by enjoralas
  • Like 8

It was an interesting day and like @RidgeRacer said, Cameltoe surely makes you appreciate what we have at Blue, without all the crap, like the pay for parking from your phone sign that was right in my view as I parked!

The peeps I was with are some Blue bumpers Gah skier George & Jr., Gary and later Jason also arrived.

Conditions were as expected after the rain and deep freeze.  We did find the (attempt at) seeded bump line, but it was rock hard frozen slush cat tracks that’ll be that way until the 70’s later this week.

We couldn’t get over the Cadillac of lifts that is the bubble 6, while Blue got the Pinto.  This thing is whisper quiet, has all metal coverings, a nice big building to store the chairs and suspended seats to soften the rumble of the supports.   We couldn’t figure out which was shorter, the ride up or the runs down…

While walking out to car, there were two cop cars with sirens blaring, hauling ass right up to the lodge.  I guess someone’s drinking a beer in the lot or something.

I had two beers and a sangwich in the lot and avoided harassment.  I guess they don’t care on closing day.

9FBDBF1B-04C6-4B81-8AA5-A19B6E49466B.thumb.jpeg.04ef3bb5c7a03b6a037b6acb655e2686.jpeg
402E8A3D-2B99-4A8D-B6C9-22903A8F0AC8.thumb.jpeg.2a553429f3b7ddf2679e44e62c13f7d0.jpeg

Bump line, sort of…

FF28AF8D-93A6-4314-8960-8FE926C49137.thumb.jpeg.6da4fc4ef34a0d796c07561671f8b3ba.jpeg

Must’ve been another Blue alien…

78AF31E1-3227-4FE0-87B8-F6D8B3EEF645.thumb.jpeg.8288b38ce77319e2e44567f2e2bfe140.jpeg

• Like 8

Awesome way to close out the PA season.  I was there open to close.  Solid ice groomers until around noon when everything but Rocket softened up to spring corn.  

Coverage was suprisingly good, rock skis/boards not required today!

20230402_095051.jpg

• Like 6

I had such a good time I called Blue today to add the $263 CBK addition to my Blue Pass. 

I figure it gives me more terrain park terrain to train on, weekend First tracks for any powder days and the potential for earlier and or later season days. I only have to use it 3 or 4 times to get the value out of it and CBK is 18 minutes away.  Blue The True will forver be my new PA home base now though.

Edited by DiMe
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, DiMe said:

I had such a good time I called Blue today to add the $263 CBK addition to my Blue Pass. 

I figure it gives me more terrain park terrain to train on, weekend First tracks for any power days and the potential for earlier and or later season days. I only have to use it 3 or 4 times to get the value out of it and CBK is 18 minutes away.  Blue The True will forver be my new PA home base now though.

Remember if you ride both mountains in the same day, it only counts as one day of skiing.  

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Remember if you ride both mountains in the same day, it only counts as one day of skiing.  

Are you suggesting I might use this unique situation to exploit the skiing stat leaderboard? 🤔 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, DiMe said:

Are you suggesting I might use this unique situation to exploit the skiing stat leaderboard? 🤔 🤣

The stats leaderboard can not be exploited unless you log in the wrong dates… I’m already starting my audit of the 22-23 stats and if I see anything Sus, I direct it to the ethics board which consists of @saltyant 

21 hours ago, DiMe said:

Awesome way to close out the PA season.  I was there open to close.  Solid ice groomers until around noon when everything but Rocket softened up to spring corn.  

Coverage was suprisingly good, rock skis/boards not required today!

20230402_095051.jpg

Saw you off the Bubble and yelled but you were in the zone. You took skiers left and said byeeeeee

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The stats leaderboard can not be exploited unless you log in the wrong dates… I’m already starting my audit of the 22-23 stats and if I see anything Sus, I direct it to the ethics board which consists of @saltyant 

Not according to our fearless leader on April fools day!!

16 minutes ago, mute1080 said:

Saw you off the Bubble and yelled but you were in the zone. You took skiers left and said byeeeeee

Aww man, if I was alone and took off in a hurry that must of been when I broke off from my group being slow waiting around to get in some hot laps by myself in the softened snow.  Would have been a perfect time for some runs.  Next time! :rock

Edited by DiMe
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DiMe said:

I figure it gives me more terrain park terrain to train on, weekend First tracks for any powder days and the potential for earlier and or later season days. I only have to use it 3 or 4 times to get the value out of it and CBK is 18 minutes away.  Blue The True will forver be my new PA home base now though.

I might do the same. Its the same drive for me as Blue and even when I was there on a mid winter crowded weekend it wasnt that bad. If I had a season pass I would've happily bounced and been happy with my day after 2 hours before it got really crowded.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, antman12 said:

I might do the same. Its the same drive for me as Blue and even when I was there on a mid winter crowded weekend it wasnt that bad. If I had a season pass I would've happily bounced and been happy with my day after 2 hours before it got really crowded.

Awesome.  For the price and the price of day tickets + parking these days I think it's a good value as an addition.  Plenty of reasons to utilize the option the 3 or 4 times and get more than the ticket value.

Edited by DiMe

10 minutes ago, DiMe said:

Awesome.  For the price and the price of day tickets + parking these days I think it's a good value as an addition.  Plenty of reasons to utilize the option the 3 or 4 times and get more than the ticket value.

For sure. Another option would be great as this thought often goes through my mind…

”Bear Creek gets boring fast and I don’t really wanna drive an hour each way and ride Blue 2 days in a row”

5 hours ago, theprogram4 said:

Good to see a resistance forming against the Camelback haters on here💪

I hate the corporate side of Camelback and what it has become as a former employee.  But just hating it to hate is just cutting your nose to spite your face on some potential extra local days 🤣.  It lost it's mountain vibe for the corporate resort feel but snow is snow when/where it's available.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DiMe said:

I hate the corporate side of Camelback and what it has become as a former employee.  But just hating it to hate is just cutting your nose to spite your face on some potential extra local days 🤣.  It lost it's mountain vibe for the corporate resort feel but snow is snow when/where it's available.

I give them props for being open one extra day after Blue was closed but they also opened three weeks later than Blue. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I give them props for being open one extra day after Blue was closed but they also opened three weeks later than Blue. 

Ya I dont know what the trend has been the past several years.  The snowmaking windows have the potential to be dramatically different between the two hills because of the location and elevation as can be natty snow days.  My preference any given day is Blue, it just still has that good vibe and significantly more fun terrain to lap.  I just really hope KSL doesn't fuck it up.

We were checking out the snow guns around Cameltoe on Sunday, WJW!
Every run we went down looked like brand new guns and even a battalion of new sled guns to put in strategic locations.
The gun heads looked like they had 3 different sets of nozzles, perhaps they can pick which ones to use based on conditions?
I think they were these: https://www.hkdsnowmakers.com/products/impulse/
Hopefully the announcement to upgrade Blue's snowmaking will include a bunch of those guns and automate the remaining trails to do away with the manual guns, so the entire mountain can fire up at the flick of a switch.

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

2 hours ago, DiMe said:

Ya I dont know what the trend has been the past several years.  The snowmaking windows have the potential to be dramatically different between the two hills because of the location and elevation as can be natty snow days.  My preference any given day is Blue, it just still has that good vibe and significantly more fun terrain to lap.  I just really hope KSL doesn't fuck it up.

One of the biggest reasons Camelback opens so late is that they insist on opening with a lot of the lookers left part of the mountain, which requires tons of snow to open because they have to cover up the lazy river, etc. 

If they would decide to open with Nile Mile, Cliffhanger, Pharoah/Bactrian, Pocono Raceway*, Rhodo Glen* and Sunbowl for the beginners then they would only be covering grass/natural terrain and they could open with just a few nights of snowmaking like most mountains can. 

They could still use the upper lodge, just walk to the edge of the snow at the top of Sunbowl and ski down to the indoor waterpark lift. Ride Sunbowl lift up and walk to the lodge if you need to or at the end of the day. Hotel guests can walk right out onto the snow from Day 1 of the season.

It seems the obvious way to open that mountain to me, but they go the other way with it. 

*possibly not these two, since they put that new style alpine slide in a couple of years ago. Parts of it may cross both slops (I know it crosses Rhodo) and may take more snow to bury than early season snowmaking could cover for an express opening

• Like 2