Elk Opening

Finndog

Looking to see when Elk typically opens. I was hoping to ski there around Thanksgiving or start of December beofre heading out to CO.

Finndog,

Others on here can tell you their past opening day record better than I, but it seems like they don't open much before the other nearby PA mountains. They can't make snow as fast as the other mountains, but the weather gives them more time to lay down a base.

However, if this keeps up, it could be an early year! Picture is from Elk's website, October 25, 2005.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, we can all hope for the best! Blue usually opens around the the end of the 1st week in December, but I was really hoping to get out there that last week in Nov. or 1st week of Dec. WE"LL SEE

yuppers ... most pa ski areas all open around the same time. They just dont have the temps as the NE resorts do to open really early.

I'm looking forward to skiing Elk this winter, hopefully on a weekday. I guess they allow tree skiing which is awesome. I just remember the lifts being super slow.

I dont think they allow it, but i dont think they really enforce it either, unless your a noob who is out of control.

Edited by montageskier

That is one reason why Elk feels like a Vermont Mountain... They may say no tree skiing, but it isnt enforced at all... After a snow dump there is great tree skiing off to the right of the mountain along those long blue trails... Few do it, so there is always pow, and there are so few rangers, which all of you can couch for who have been there, that it really isnt a problem...

As of today, (Sunday, 11/20), Elk's website says they are making snow. Looks like they just got started, as the pic shows a light coating on Susqy.

"The Elk Mountain snow crew has started making snow. When temperatures permit we will make snow and plan to open in early December depending on the weather."

elk has a good 4 inches covering the mountain right now not including the bsae. in my opinion thats plenty to open, for at least nepa conditions. these people expect to get tons and tons of snow before next weekend (which is when they plan to open) like there in vermont. they should just open now. if anything the weather is about to get worse and with thanksgiving vacation on everybodies back this is the perfect weekend to open, but will they open?no, because the owner has continuosly made bad decision after the next for the past twenty years. someone mentioned something about no ski patrol. this place is more strict and has more ski patrol than any other place i have ever been to. you accidently run into a skier and they will rip your season pass right off your hand before you can apologize. now there new bs rules are no backpacks on the lift and you have to have your pass on your forearm. soon we're going to have to give our first born in order to get a lift ticket.

nice..i love tanglwood though..workin there and i live..10 minutes from it? park isnt to bad either..

elk has been very strict...the people that ski there can be pretty gay..i got yelled at for not having a leash on my bindings...didnt they put a rule on ipods too?

Edited by nfgdrummer21

Elk strict? I've only been there a few times, but I've never run into any overly tough patrolers there. I got yelled at for jumping from the woods over a creek onto the bunny slope once, but they weren't really all that mad. Half the time I'm there I'm in the woods and no one seems to care.

• 2 weeks later...

nice..i love tanglwood though..workin there and i live..10 minutes from it? park isnt to bad either..

elk has been very strict...the people that ski there can be pretty gay..i got yelled at for not having a leash on my bindings...didnt they put a rule on ipods too?

Tanglwood is were i learned to ride. I have a house about 20 minutes away from there, but for the most part i ride blue now. I make it to tanglwood around 1 time a year if im lucky now.

I was there last year for the Blizzard in early january. Rode tanglwood at night, was 1 of 4 people at the mountain. Good times, fresh dump, to bad the mountain is so small. Glad to see there's some other people on here, that have ridden tanglwood.

I also rode elk the next day. Very fun. To bad they groomed all the trails or it would have been a sick pow day. They left a few ungroomed trails which were fun. Good times