new park

kmar2006

they should be able to open sidewinder by friday. they can blow on it all day today and into most of tomorrow.

haha far from it the widened the trail by like a million feet.. haha not really... so it needs more snow... so think about it... they say monday.. i talked to the park builder danny.. he said he doesn't know... hes caught up in a lotta bull crap like the res of us... later

How can they learn to ride park then?

alright doug... lets think about this... if you wanna learn to ride park.. you buy the pass... but little kids with there familys shouldn't be going into the park and having to crawl up the lip of a jump cause they dont know what there doing... as goes for the older men a women, it used to be a regular trail... but its not... so lets keep it a park...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well the zawg is here............ and all i have to say is wait til you see the new rails... ill hint out there be between 4 and 6 new ones.. plus new wallride..... and what else can i hint towards... you may use the stairs? but not for walking... and how big of a box can you make? say umm over 45ft?

kershie you hoe... haha i figured i'd check this site out cause i heard you talkin about it... its aight i guess.. so yea i want my job back but oh well.. peace out

... supposedly the new 45-foot battle ship box is going to be out

where they widened sidewinder over the summer there is going to be a decently large jump

I would guess so. I saw that bad boy today , going down easy out/vista, looking up. They were moving it around with the cats, so i would imagine that it will be in. (btw, from what it looks like, the new battleship box is about as wide as the disco flat down box, but then again, it was from a distance.

Yeah, there's a jump there.

too many times people get hurt in the expert park on sidewinder and ruin it for us all.

it isnt possible to progress if the park is set up like a beginner park. that is why there is a beginner park (terrain run).

Yup, exactly.

alright doug... lets think about this... if you wanna learn to ride park.. you buy the pass... but little kids with there familys shouldn't be going into the park and having to crawl up the lip of a jump cause they dont know what there doing... as goes for the older men a women, it used to be a regular trail... but its not... so lets keep it a park...

well said... its so true... its the same concept of regualr skiing... if you want to learn.. you buy the pass. if you want to learn to ski park (we prefer if you learn in the beginner park) then you buy the pass..

every mt should have a park where its small and ride one where you dont need a pass.. and then have a bigger all jump on and bigger rails, jumps and a wallride and have that a pass park..

its the way mountain creek does it and i rememeber having to watch a video for Stratton to get into the powerpark

every mt should have a park where its small and ride one where you dont need a pass.. and then have a bigger all jump on and bigger rails, jumps and a wallride and have that a pass park..

its the way mountain creek does it and i rememeber having to watch a video for Stratton to get into the powerpark

yea.. but watching a video is some what ludacris.. who really pays attention? but anyway, we do have a smaller back, the lower terrain run, thats for beginners... so all in all, it would work out, but no one is willing to give it a try

Kmar, on Blues site over the summer under the improvements headline they had:

1) installed magic carpet in valley west

2)widened sidewinder

3)widened the pipe

4)other things that I don't remember

after we saw what they had written we drove up there and saw the changes to sidewinder and then drove down to the pipe and saw the whole right wall torn up and re-seeded. I don't have any before and after pics, but it was pretty obvious that something had been done.

superpipe is probably rumors at this stage but thats how everything starts. the staircase was just a rumor less than a month ago and today they are workin' on it in the garage. I was told its a 12 set with a handrail in the middle and a ledge or box on either side.

super pipe has ben rumor for years, most of the new rails you here about, do exsist, i was up in the warehouse and saw them with my one good eye, haha j/k

Well, just seeing all that new grass planted there, first instinct was to think that they widened the pipe. When i hiked up there, i thought those guns looked new-they weren't familiar. Anyway, i think it's good that blue is making so much commitment to their parks/pipe. The pipe should be good this year- no doubt in my mind. :yes

ok folks, lets just get this straight.. kmar works there like full time.. he knows what hes doin.. i used to work there. we both know just about everyone that works there haha.. so we're not lying, if i was.. you'd know.. like if i said that the trail they were cutting underneath the quad was gunna be the new jib park and they were going to increase the grade on the snowboarding school hill and make it into a super pipe... just thinking about that makes me laugh, now lets see how many rumors get started

yea.. but watching a video is some what ludacris.. who really pays attention? but anyway, we do have a smaller back, the lower terrain run, thats for beginners... so all in all, it would work out, but no one is willing to give it a try

the whole point of the video is for people to understand that they arent the only people who use the park and how to be courteous to other who are also there... if people have to watch a video to get their park pass.. it will prevent the first time weekend skiers/riders from going through the park and trashing it and hurting themselves or others.

the only thing that is ludicrous is not wanting to watch a 20-minute video, which would keep the park in more or less immaculate shape and prevent huge flocks of people from wedging their way through

hopefully you are impressed with it... still arent sure what they are putting in it yet, but it looks promising... i'll probably be around there too after i get out of work..

of course i'm going to harrisburg till tuesday so i wont be able to hit it up whenever it opens.. i'll prolly be sittin in the groomer though for a little with danny.. not all night though.. i need to sleep

super pipe has ben rumor for years, most of the new rails you here about, do exsist, i was up in the warehouse and saw them with my one good eye, haha j/k

ok folks, lets just get this straight.. kmar works there like full time.. he knows what hes doin.. i used to work there. we both know just about everyone that works there haha.. so we're not lying, if i was.. you'd know.. like if i said that the trail they were cutting underneath the quad was gunna be the new jib park and they were going to increase the grade on the snowboarding school hill and make it into a super pipe... just thinking about that makes me laugh, now lets see how many rumors get started

thanx atleast some respect here...hey jon atleast u and i know what goes down up here.. along with bird for sure

No one ever said he was lying, and i didn't know that he works there full time. I made my judgement by what I saw when i hiked the mt a while back.

thanx atleast some respect here...hey jon atleast u and i know what goes down up here.. along with bird for sure

I think everyone (on this board) who rides blue's parks has respect for you dude, you're an insider. I think that people on here trust your word over everyone else's. I was just excited/convinced with what i saw in person, myself, so of course i would try to prove myself.

This year the park crue is really trying to make a big distinction between the lower park and Sidewinder. I know they don't have total say in what is where and how the features are built, but management is listening more than ever to them this year, because they are the guys and girls who ride the stuff on a daily basis. I've seen more people working together (groomers, park crue, management, etc...) up there this year to make the mountain a better place than I've seen before, and I've been there for 5 years, a quarter of my life. I know alot of guys on this board have been there much longer, but it feels like a long time to me.

I am also one for park passes. Every mountain that I have visited that has implemented these has had a good deal of success with them, and I think it would be great for Blue to have them, but only if they are going to make a park that is all advanced and expert. For anyone thinking that you have to pay for the pass ach time you come up to the mountain, thats not how it works at most places. Usually you sign a waiver, sometimes watch a movie, and pay a 5-10 dollar fee that is good all year and often that money helps maintain the park. The fee is low enough so that it is affordable to freeriders visiting from other places, and so that its not restrictive. Most of the people that use the park in its intended manner will agree that park passes are the way to go. The majority of arguments I've heard against them have come from those who are better off not being in the park environment in the first place, because their presence is a distraction to athletes who require concentration and focus. The argument that you should pay for a pass to use Paradise in a tuck, or to even be on Switchback, is not well thought out in my opinion. What is the distinguishing factor of these runs? They are both groomed daily, users of these trails are confident that people won't be leaving the trail and then falling back onto it, and giant pieces of steel sticking out of the snow will lurk around corners. Sidewinder Park is a unique trail, with unique rules that few of Blue's customers take the care to learn. Doesn't it piss you off when someone doesn't know the rules of the roads that you drive everyday? Now put yourself in a parkrats shoes. Sidewinder is our highway. Roadrage ensues on an all too common basis.

However, park passes at Blue are at best a distant possibility right now. Ray Tuthill's (part owner of Blue) opinion is that if someone pays good money for a ticket then they should have unrestricted access to whatever they want to ride. This is a good argument, but I feel that in a cost vs. benefit analysis of what the trail is intended for and who uses it, park passes would really help more people enjoy their time at the mountain.

I am also one for park passes. Every mountain that I have visited that has implemented these has had a good deal of success with them, and I think it would be great for Blue to have them, but only if they are going to make a park that is all advanced and expert. For anyone thinking that you have to pay for the pass ach time you come up to the mountain, thats not how it works at most places. Usually you sign a waiver, sometimes watch a movie, and pay a 5-10 dollar fee that is good all year and often that money helps maintain the park. The fee is low enough so that it is affordable to freeriders visiting from other places, and so that its not restrictive. Most of the people that use the park in its intended manner will agree that park passes are the way to go. The majority of arguments I've heard against them have come from those who are better off not being in the park environment in the first place, because their presence is a distraction to athletes who require concentration and focus. The argument that you should pay for a pass to use Paradise in a tuck, or to even be on Switchback, is not well thought out in my opinion. What is the distinguishing factor of these runs? They are both groomed daily, users of these trails are confident that people won't be leaving the trail and then falling back onto it, and giant pieces of steel sticking out of the snow will lurk around corners. Sidewinder Park is a unique trail, with unique rules that few of Blue's customers take the care to learn. Doesn't it piss you off when someone doesn't know the rules of the roads that you drive everyday? Now put yourself in a parkrats shoes. Sidewinder is our highway. Roadrage ensues on an all too common basis.

I feel that in a cost vs. benefit analysis of what the trail is intended for and who uses it, park passes would really help more people enjoy their time at the mountain.

Well said...

Watching my kid grow in the park has allowed me to observe the progressions. He was one of those kids who got yelled at for being the park. He couldn't understand then - I tried to explain.. But really, some of the parks we cruised through out west we had no business being in. Now, it is heart wrenching to watch him screaming drop in, drop in, drop in, waiting and waiting start, then stop, start then stop.. Yesterday, I finally saw him say F it and went off big.. a snow boarder gave me the finger when I was telling him to hold up, "some one is dropping in.." I estimate that his skis were 3' from that helmetless disrespectful knuckledraggers' neck.. You should have seem his eyes afterwards. He is the same type that you will hear complaining that he almost got hit..

Make everyone watch a video, make them watch it 10 times. If someone drops in with out looking up or calling it or cutting someone off, sits in the middle of the slope, sits below the landings... it to me is far worse than skiing too fast or skiing between trails the patrols seem some intent on enforcing.

PARK PASSES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"anybody is allowed to ski the park like a regular trail along the side of the trail. As long as they stay away from the take-offs and landings." Doug, the main point of the park pass would be to educate. People simply don't know these rules, and I'd rather not have guys and girls I know yelling at people who are just trying to have a nice run. Yes here are warnings at the entrance to the park, however, if you ask 100 riders at the bottom of the park what the sign says at the top, I would bet that you would be hard pressed to find more than 5 who even glanced at it. That is not a good ratio, and due to the hazards that I mentioned in my last post, and Papasteeze mentioned in his, it really seems like a good idea to make sure that everyone who is in that type of area is well informed. One of the ideas we have this year is to stand at the top of Sidewinder, and politely request that people read the sign, and read the "Easy Style It" rules. If it were up to me, Sidewinder would be wider, and a quarter of it would be roped off for general skiing. This would allow people who want to spectate to do so in a manner that is neither distracting nor dangerous to riders trying to use the features, and would still keep the trail available to all ticket holders.

"If someone pays 40 dollars for a day of skiing which is alot for most people they shouldn't have to pay more for a park pass or waste their valable time filling out forms."

When you tell most of the people who belong in the park that the extra 5 bux or whatever it is will be used to maintain and improve the park, most think that it is a good idea. And since when has time been valuable to alot of people in this country. With tv, the internet, and other means of wasting time in the most efficient manner possible, people usually won't mind to much doing one more thing if they want to use the park. A few initials and a sig? Thats less than five minutes (I dont think riders should have to watch a movie, who wants to cue it up every time, let alone wait for it to start). With Blues stellar new park crue, the park wont be destroyed in the five minutes it takes you to sign that and read a form.

well lets see the first jump was nice and the rail before that.. but you cant hit both you just couldnt get enough speed to really CLEAR the flat of the jump.. the battleship box wasnt to bad.. the wall ride after that had a terrible transition.. the jump after that was just set up really strang and i wouldnt hit that... the flatdown box next to that points to the woods and you have to turn right after or your in the woods.. the trail itself is really narrow.. not to mention it gets icy as hell in that park..umm lets see the other table by the flatdown box was also in a ghetto place.. the bottom park was crap.. the first jump was alright but like the lip was destroyed by 4.. and then the flat box had such a bad lip/ride on to it.. and the flat down box at the end at a huge hole on the landning.. the last wallride was good though..

but the main thing i couldnt stand was how narrow that trail is.. i was afraid to hit something maybe land a little funny take a fall and end up in the woods..

parks are meant for wide, more straight trails i think blue could have a much sicker park if it was just on a better trail.. the trail itself it was really got to me haha

Good points, I miss Sidewinder as a regular ski trail, I wonder why they chose Sidewinder as the park trail?

What other trail that is not heavily traveled could they use. The logical choice (one could argue that) is Sidewinder. Lazy Mile would be good, but too much traffic beceause it's a great trail for intermediates. Not switchback, that's worse then sidewinder I think. Paradise? Well MAYBE, but that's a heavily traveled beginner trail, and I don't think they would give that up for a park.

Yeah but anybody is allowed to ski the park like a regular trail along the side of the trail. As long as they stay away from the take-offs and landings.

However, park passes at Blue are at best a distant possibility right now. Ray Tuthill's (part owner of Blue) opinion is that if someone pays good money for a ticket then they should have unrestricted access to whatever they want to ride. This is a good argument, but I feel that in a cost vs. benefit analysis of what the trail is intended for and who uses it, park passes would really help more people enjoy their time at the mountain.

I agree with Ray, Ray is the man. I also agree with his point verbatum. I was having the discussion with a couple of groups of riders on the lift and they all thought park passes are stupid. If someone pays 40 dollars for a day of skiing which is alot for most people they shouldn't have to pay more for a park pass or waste their valable time filling out forms. They're warnings at the entrance to the park. If somebody is riding out of control or is not following the rules, that's the ski patrollers job to enforce. Go Ray, stick around for a while longer because I don't want Camelback taking over Blue mountain :banghead

sorry to say doug but i dont see how you can think hes the man when all the shots are called my dennis who has no clue, ray just pulls in a nice check along with Mr ferko the other half owner. just think about that, he really has nothing to do with what goes on at blue.

it would be amazing if it was on paradise... but they will never sacrifice that trail for a park... especially since they built a permanent wall ride on sidewinder

yea i told my dad if we won the powerball we'ed by the mt. and i'd run the park which would be on paradise... the possiblilities cant even be listed, with those head walls for speed?... i dont know where to start, school hills are for learning, so is vista, lazy is ok too... i say we just all put are money together and buy paradise... what a far fetched idea haha, later

Doug - If you ever come over to CB for the day.. Make sure you message me and let me know when. I want you to ride with me some and my kid nipples and observe the goings on. You will see (at least at CB) why park passes would/will work to the benefit of everyone.

The Nastar Courses are a great analogy... COuld you imagine, if they just set up some gates with no start house and everyone just started bombing it!!!

Holy cow, if you think this is a vocal group.... Parks are progressing, it won't be long at all before all intermediate and advanced terrain parks are run similar in nature to a recreational race course.

Doug - If you ever come over to CB for the day.. Make sure you message me and let me know when. I want you to ride with me some and my kid nipples and observe the goings on. You will see (at least at CB) why park passes would/will work to the benefit of everyone.

yeah man, i completely agree. doug, ski with my crew up at Blue and you will see why they are so necessary.... especailly once the skiclubs start and the busses of out-of-towners start rolling in