Good News

Park Crue

THAT'S AWESOME, ANY NEWS IF THEY'RE GOING TO HAVE SOMETHING LIKE THAT FOR SKIERS OR IF SKIERS CAN ALSO PARTICIPATE WITH THE RIDERS. I WONDER WHAT THE COST WILL BE??? DO SNOWBOARDERS NEED HARD-BOOTS TO RACE? I KNOW VTMARK WAS AT NASTAR NATIONALS AND I THOUGHT HE HAS NORMAL BOOTS.

Blue has offered adult race clinics for skiers for years. In the past they offered them Tuesday and Thursday night. Now it is just Tuesday night and Wed morning. Thursday night was replaced by Nastar. I took the Thursday night clinic years ago. My brother takes the Wed. morning clinic and loves it.

:ph34r:

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue has offered adult race clinics for skiers for years. In the past they offered them Tuesday and Thursday night. Now it is just Tuesday night and Wed morning. Thursday night was replaced by Nastar. I took the Thursday night clinic years ago. My brother takes the Wed. morning clinic and loves it.

:ph34r:

do they set gates for the clinics? i dont recall seeing anything like that on Wednesday mornings when i was up there this past year. maybe i just missed it.

O.K. it's on their website...wow learn something new everyday... http://www.skibluemt.com/learning_center/s...rog_html#adrace

Wow, that's great that they offer a Wed morning clinic. We're not even OPEN then.

Exactly why are you and 1st Grade pissy at each other? I think 1st Grade is a wiseass in a good way. You two should make peace. Maybe get together over a few beers and skanks.

We are gonna be settin up gates every Friday evening. I hope lots of you Parkies join up.

If there are a lot of you, we can hit up the park in our tight suits and buzz all the railriders and cut them off just as they are about to hit up a rail !! ;)

hahahaha... doug for all your enthusiasm, it funny that you are such :lol a noob!

That's not a noob question. It's actually fairly complex, just as it is with ski/boot setups. Both skiers and riders that first get into racing buy boots that are labeled "race" and are too stiff for them to flex. A lot of USSA kids are using boots that are keeping them from getting better.

I think I recall that Sib made a decision to keep her daughter in soft, recreational boots as a J3 or 1st yr J2 and she had really good success because of it.

So it's soft boots until you max them out. Then a hard boot setup, although a lot of kids and lighter skiers/riders will have their boots cut to increase flex.

That's not a noob question. It's actually fairly complex, just as it is with ski/boot setups. Both skiers and riders that first get into racing buy boots that are labeled "race" and are too stiff for them to flex. A lot of USSA kids are using boots that are keeping them from getting better.

I think I recall that Sib made a decision to keep her daughter in soft, recreational boots as a J3 or 1st yr J2 and she had really good success because of it.

So it's soft boots until you max them out. Then a hard boot setup, although a lot of kids and lighter skiers/riders will have their boots cut to increase flex.

huh?? hard booting refers to alpine boarding - Is alpine boarding that obscure? It's todays equivelent of the monoski of days past.

What is Carving?

Carving on a snowboard means never skidding. Carvers tilt the snowboard high on edge, leaving pencil-thin trenches in the snow, while leaning into the turn until both forearms are skimming the slope. Carvers make perfect half-circles out of each turn, changing edges when the snowboard is perpendicular to the fall line and starting every turn on the downhill edge. Carving on a snowboard is like riding a roller coaster, because the board will lock into a turn radius and provide what feels like multiple Gs of acceleration. It feels like the purest way to ride a snowboard, because no skidding is involved. It also qualifies as a spectator sport that shows off the most beautiful, perfect turns you will ever see on the slope. It can be done to a limited extent with a stiffer freeride snowboard setup, but to achieve "dialed in, locked-in" carved turns, carvers use snowboard racing gear, which consists of hard-shell snowboard boots, hard plate bindings, and a race board. Carving also requires a skill set that is somewhat different from either freeriding or racing. In the U.S., carvers are a rare breed: Except when snowboard races are held, there will typically be fewer than a dozen carvers on the hill, and carving gear constitutes less than 1% of the snowboard market. Carving advice is rare, and hence the necessity for The Carver's Almanac.

here, this is from 2002 http://www.swoard.com/films/2002/wmv/ecpreview.wmv

Here is a ton of info on alpine boots - "hard Booting"

http://www.alpinecarving.com/boots.html#basics

huh?? hard booting refers to alpine boarding - Is alpine boarding that obscure? It's todays equivelent of the monoski of days past.

No, really? Hard boot means that? It's a freaking FIS sport, Rob. And you're calling other people noobs? And I wouldn't be calling it the equivalent of monoskiing, which was just some stupid and minor fad that some French guy tried to make money off of.

this thread is WAY too long to read through and see if any of this has been said. so i am just going to post my wants:

-i'm a fan of parks that mimic urban locals. so the steps were a sweet addition in my mind. maybe a picnic table (which is esentialy a butter box doug). or other things of the like

-long rails are a must.

-im in favor of bettering the landings. no need to beat that dead horse anymore.

-better upkeep on the wallrides. i was up there a few times and they looked fine only to find about a foot gap between the end of the snow and the wall.

-don't convert totally over to rails, some long mellow boxes would be nice to learn new stuff on.

-um, make stuff longer

-longer

-did i mention longer rails and boxes?

Doug, it doesn't mattter if you prefer hard or soft boots. I was just speaking generically.

I am going to talk with the race dept. and see if they can set up snowboarding gates for Nastar.

It sure hurts to smack Ski gates which are are over 6 ft. high. Either with your butt or face. Not good.

No, really? Hard boot means that? It's a freaking FIS sport, Rob. And you're calling other people noobs? And I wouldn't be calling it the equivalent of monoskiing, which was just some stupid and minor fad that some French guy tried to make money off of.

Alpine boards are very Euro. It was funny listening to Todd Richards and Pat Parnel out at the Olympics because while the race was going on all they did was make wiseass comments about the racers and their suits. They did the serious voiceover later after the racing. It actually is quite similar to monoskiing in the fact that many more Europeans do it. It takes a crazy amount of skill to do, but just isn't seen as cool. Watching those guys train was just as impressive as watching the skiers.

There were a group of 2 or 3 carvers or whatever one morning at blue late season - Doug I think I was actually skiing with you and A-Jeff and some guy not from the board. They made reeeeeaaaallllly wide turns - totally perp to the fall line like Rob says - at speed, I almost took one out on Challenge or razors cuz you just figure they're going to initiate the turn much sooner than they do. The boards were long with square tails and the boots looked more like ski boots with elevated bindings. That was the first (and only) time I had ever seen them...

We are gonna be settin up gates every Friday evening. I hope lots of you Parkies join up.

If there are a lot of you, we can hit up the park in our tight suits and buzz all the railriders and cut them off just as they are about to hit up a rail !! ;)

Hey just b/c I race doesn't mean I can't hit a rail every now and then.

Doug, it doesn't mattter if you prefer hard or soft boots. I was just speaking generically.

I am going to talk with the race dept. and see if they can set up snowboarding gates for Nastar.

It sure hurts to smack Ski gates which are are over 6 ft. high. Either with your butt or face. Not good.

yes they do.

There were a group of 2 or 3 carvers or whatever one morning at blue late season - Doug I think I was actually skiing with you and A-Jeff and some guy not from the board. They made reeeeeaaaallllly wide turns - totally perp to the fall line like Rob says - at speed, I almost took one out on Challenge or razors cuz you just figure they're going to initiate the turn much sooner than they do. The boards were long with square tails and the boots looked more like ski boots with elevated bindings. That was the first (and only) time I had ever seen them...

Thanks for the intelligent reply. I rode with a friend who hard boots a bunch last season. Took a racing clinic with another. There is also 2 others who run Nastar at CB and BC regularly. hard booting does not = stiff racing boots. it's all jargon, no biggie unless you are a know it all racing something or another.

Anything to say about Blue Mountains park or riding clinics Ski? C'mon man...

C'mon what???? I was posting that hard snowboard boots are hard for a reason. Is that so off topic? Rob posted that it wasn't true ("hard booting does not = stiff racing boots"). If parallel GS racers (that's the snowboard giant slalom competitors) could ride faster in a soft setup, then some might. None do. It's all about the fastest transition of energy from body to board. And that comes through a hard setup.

What's the problem with that?

If it's wrong, then tell me. I'm no parallel GS expert.

From the one hardboot snowboarding MB I could find:

"Racing is the foundation of hardboot snowboarding. Although there has only been one racing event(GS) in the Olympics for the last three games. There has been a GS Snowboard race in the Olympics for the last three games! And this year they are bringing the Viewer friendly Boardercross into the mix it too a race on snowboards. A race that will give builders athletes and coaches a chance to step into the ring and leave with a winner."

Nothing wrong with what you're saying about gear. Whether used recreationally or in competition, there is no doubt that hard boots are designed more for racing.

My "C'mon man..." is not about your gear based postings, its about the issue that you and Rob seem to have that you guys fill up threads with. I know I'm not the only one that has said something about this, and definitely not the only who has been annoyed by it. Many people refuse to post on this MB because of bullshit like that, and its one of the reasons some mountains won't sponsor or link this board. Both of you are at fault, and shit like that isn't doing anything for the site or the local scene. Don't get along? Thats great but don't make us suffer through it.

Nothing wrong with what you're saying about gear. Whether used recreationally or in competition, there is no doubt that hard boots are designed more for racing.

My "C'mon man..." is not about your gear based postings, its about the issue that you and Rob seem to have that you guys fill up threads with. I know I'm not the only one that has said something about this, and definitely not the only who has been annoyed by it. Many people refuse to post on this MB because of bullshit like that, and its one of the reasons some mountains won't sponsor or link this board. Both of you are at fault, and shit like that isn't doing anything for the site or the local scene. Don't get along? Thats great but don't make us suffer through it.

Okay, so you are judging my contribution to this site as a whole. What you get is what you get. This site was founded by a group of people that expressed opinions that got us banned from the other boards. So you only want positive posts from me?

Sift through my posts and go ahead and let me know what's acceptable. Should I do the same for you? Should we rate the value of each contributor? How many technical contributions have you made? I don't know---not a loaded question. I help people with waxes, racing, instruction, and gear. Are people suffering from that, too?

EDIT:

So when Rob threatened to call the county regarding Montage and try to block the sale, it brought a lot back. It's a huge deal---the sale, that is---that has a great effect on our home hill and whether or not it'll be there in five years.

And I can almost hear you typing, "No, dude, just chill out with Rob." But that's not how it works. You get what you get with me. Rob had people call my house and yell bad shit at my wife. If Greg wants me gone, then so be it.

Edited by ski