Good News

Park Crue

about the landings, i think i might have sent this to trevor before, but one of the mods on newschoolers is also a top notch park groomer, and decided to grace us with his words of wisdom.

http://www.newschoolers.com/ns3/web/conten...6&hide_header=&

he explains his whole process basically. seems like 30-34 degrees is the best for landings. any idea what you guys had last year, i'm just curious?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, please give us landings. The wedges this year weren't bad at all, and i agree that it kept the gapers off a little bit which was nice, but when a jump is 10+ feet high at the lip, we need long steep landings so we don't blow up all the time. The 53 foot wedge before the wall was so nice all year, but it just needed a nice landing to go with the wedge. It seemed like you would just freefall from real high onto a not so steep landing. I'm not trying to complain, because blue certainly stepped it up a hell of a lot this year, which was awesome. But i found myself holding back on jumps around here because the landings just weren't friendly whatsoever. Like Toast said, jumps out west were awesome and i know a bunch of us progressed in a matter of days on them. The wedges were good, just give us nice steep landings and i promise you that you'll see skiers and riders around here kill shit. Keep up the good work keith, blue's headed in the right direction for sure.

Big mother fucking booters...that phrase echoed through the park during the 05-06 season...Little kids that looked like the kids from South Park and with the same potty mouths were always talking about the big mo-fo booters... :rock:rock

shut up... pleeeeeeeease?

about the landings, i think i might have sent this to trevor before, but one of the mods on newschoolers is also a top notch park groomer, and decided to grace us with his words of wisdom.

http://www.newschoolers.com/ns3/web/conten...6&hide_header=&

he explains his whole process basically. seems like 30-34 degrees is the best for landings. any idea what you guys had last year, i'm just curious?

excellent link Justo! It doesn't get any better than that. Does blue have a winch cat?

I think they do, but I doubt they'd dedicate winch cat hours to the park. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong.

Correct me if I am wrong - the winch cat is used for the initial building of the landings due to the steepness. Its not needed for maintenance grooming on a regular basis is it? I watched a jump being built for Nipples big air comp in Killington, I was surprised at how long it took. Once the pushing of snow was done the regular groomers took over.

No winch cat at Blue unless they bought one this summer. The newer Park Bullys are a bit better but the winch cat would be huge.

I think I done learnt somehting....

I like to use an angle measuring device (called a clinometer I think) to make sure the landing is steep. Putting it on one of the spots in the cat that is flat with the tracks allows you to measure the landing. Anything under 30 degrees is flat as shit. If you're building a floaty jump, then 30-32 works. 32-34 if you want your jump to have some kick. Anything more than 34 starts to get into being too steep for park jumps, and you'll have problems getting it right.

So... does CB have the only groomer capable of building a steep enough landing? hmmmmmm

Also have you guys noticed how the snow on Razors is always decent?... State of the art snow guns.

We will have some new ones on Sidewinder next year.

What snowguns are they? I'm thinking York Borax?

After you guys get a good base down, start pointing the snowguns up a little higher to make drier snow. The thing that messes up snow quality is when you guys put those air/water tripod guns right in the middle of the trail and point them straight toward the ground. This makes wet, durable snow, but it's not very forgiving and ices over easily. Making drier snow actually gives you more volume. I haven't noticed it much at all last year, but I did the previoius year. Everyone seems to be suggesting good things about jumps, so the only thing I'll say is about the hip. Last year it wasn't even a true hip. If you make one this coming year, have a lip with a landing rotated a full 75-90 degrees on the side. Oh, and at the end of the season I noticed that "quarterpipe" on the tree next to the wall ride. I liked how it was back somewhat hidden and how you had to really carve in to hit it, except it wasn't really maintained. I keep thinking of things as I type, so I'll end it with this: I missed the blue flat-down rail last year.

Oh, and at the end of the season I noticed that "quarterpipe" on the tree next to the wall ride. I liked how it was back somewhat hidden and how you had to really carve in to hit it, except it wasn't really maintained.

That wasn't really a legit feature, it just kind of popped up from people hitting it. I know I did. Hopefully this year we'll be able to use some of the natural type features to help the park flow a little better. Last year there were some fun lines to take, in terms or rail or jump lines, but this year hopefully there will be a few lines with good visibility so you can do runs all the way through the park.

Concerning Camelback's winch cat, I think they mainly use that to maintain the bumps. Correct? I was there early season like three years ago and wasn't impressed with the park but my main complaint was the yellow coats. It was only like three weeks into the season so I wasn't really expecting much from the park, but its one of those things where my opinion is that Blue's terrain is better and closer for me so why go to Camelback. If I remember correctly their park/halfpipe really isn't built on a trail that has any decent grade, so its very tough to get enough snow to build decent hits. Have they moved it since? I think it was right by a double/slower chairlift...

i was waiting for someone else to say something :ph34r:

I think it's appropriate to start a thread over on CB's board.

Montage has a small wench cat, but they wouldnt even think about putting it on the jumps.

mmmmm. small wenches :lol

Concerning Camelback's winch cat, I think they mainly use that to maintain the bumps. Correct? I was there early season like three years ago and wasn't impressed with the park but my main complaint was the yellow coats. It was only like three weeks into the season so I wasn't really expecting much from the park, but its one of those things where my opinion is that Blue's terrain is better and closer for me so why go to Camelback. If I remember correctly their park/halfpipe really isn't built on a trail that has any decent grade, so its very tough to get enough snow to build decent hits. Have they moved it since? I think it was right by a double/slower chairlift...

To put it mildly , CB's park's really suck.

The halfpipe at Camelback is smaller than the one at Blue but I thought it was better. :rock Blue probably has the worst half-pipe in the ski world... :banghead

When it was cut this year at Blue it was awesome. Problem was I think it was cut like three times at the most. Its been beat to death, but to build a decent pipe you either need a TON of snow, or an extremely large manmade earthen structure in cases where lack of snow is an issue (read Mt. Creek, Bear Creek, Blue Mountain, Camelback, etc...). The new pipe cutter broke last year on one of its first runs, then there were problems with groomers breaking down which cut into park maintenance, and the warm spell made features like the bigger jumps and the pipe untouchable because you don't want to be moving all that snow around when its warm like that or it melts alot quicker. With all of those problems I thought it was surprising how well the park did shape up. Hopefully there isn't an unlucky streak (broken quad being a good example) like that next season. It will get better with good maintenance and good riders.

Bob and I liked the little park in the middle of the mountain (Rhododendron Glen I think) cause it was a nice quite place to practice and not be in the way.

Blue probably has the worst half-pipe in the ski world... :banghead

What...there aren't supposed to be giant crevices and ice chunks in the pipe?

Rhodo glen has no people in it compared to the other park

It was kind of nice too becuase it gave us the chance to learn without rush or worry that we were falling in the way of someone who actually knew what they were doing. We only went to CB once (never going again, but that's another story) on a Friday and I swear we only saw 2 or 3 people on that trail besides us the whole day. I also liked the little lift that serviced that area. It made 700 runs down the same trail bearable.

I am that guy..I still want to ski down the steps switch..I wimped out this past season...I do a pretty good crotch grab spread eagle...I prefer getting forward distance to high distance off the big mo-fo booters..The light up box was pretty fun and I think I only fell off of it once.... :rock I want Blue mountain to put in a butter box because the butter box at Montage was hella fun.. :wiggle It would be cool if there were a few kickers in the terrain park like they have in bump competitions..that would be mad steezy yo...They should also change the name of Blue mountain to Booter mountain because of all the big mo-fo booters..Holla

does anyone else want to gouge their eyes out after reading that? or is just me?

i still think you should try CB again, but its your choice

Nope, it's Bob's choice and I know there is no way in hell, so....

don't be that guy.

Oh, he is so that guy, but that's why we love him, or love to hate him. You decide.

P.S. I love ya.

If there is one thing (aside from park passes) that I would like to see Bear and Blue improve on, that would be the landing transitions. There needs to be more tables. if you are going to build a step down at 60 feet then heaven help us, give it a decent steep landing.

YES!

Thanks for the good words.

Trev, I'm gonna set up a meeting in August when everybody is back from France.

Will mosdef let you know.

I don't think wind will be an issue on the new part of Sidewinder.

Also have you guys noticed how the snow on Razors is always decent?... State of the art snow guns.

We will have some new ones on Sidewinder next year.

Tables v. Cheesewedge :

No Park passes means every Tom, Dick & Harriet WILL enter the park and gape.

If every jump was a table, these guys will insist on riding over them, and if they are older 2 plankers make some turns on them, just for the hell of it.

Maintaining lips & landings, when the snow has turned into granular is difficult. Once you ride over a 10' cheese wedge and jar your knees and spine, you kinda think twice before doing it again, unless you clear it.

The point about longer steeper landings is valid and we will address it. This is not to say that we will not have table tops. And Toast, I too like the idea of mound of snow with a lip in front of it.

Anyways, thanks for the input. We are listening.!!

Listen to this- park passes. With the six pack, you're gonna be dumping 3x as many people at the top of the mountain- right by the park entrance. Adding in the factor that it's high speed doesn't help much. Stepping up the park is great, but if you let any asshole in there- they're going to get in the way or get hurt, or hurt someone else.

This also hasn't been brought up. I loved blue last year, but the kickers on to the lips weren't that great. Make nice, wide kickers, and for god's sake- throw a little gap in there. Then again- this could be because of people using them the wrong way (ex- jumping off the sides [which park passes could reduce])

shut up... pleeeeeeeease?

excellent link Justo! It doesn't get any better than that. Does blue have a winch cat?

They do have a snowcat with a winch on it, but it's more like a crane setup- the orange LMC that sits at the top of the park. They use it to position rails and move them around.

What snowguns are they? I'm thinking York Borax?

After you guys get a good base down, start pointing the snowguns up a little higher to make drier snow. The thing that messes up snow quality is when you guys put those air/water tripod guns right in the middle of the trail and point them straight toward the ground. This makes wet, durable snow, but it's not very forgiving and ices over easily. Making drier snow actually gives you more volume. I haven't noticed it much at all last year, but I did the previoius year. Everyone seems to be suggesting good things about jumps, so the only thing I'll say is about the hip. Last year it wasn't even a true hip. If you make one this coming year, have a lip with a landing rotated a full 75-90 degrees on the side. Oh, and at the end of the season I noticed that "quarterpipe" on the tree next to the wall ride. I liked how it was back somewhat hidden and how you had to really carve in to hit it, except it wasn't really maintained. I keep thinking of things as I type, so I'll end it with this: I missed the blue flat-down rail last year.

Do they use them in the middle of the trail like that? I don't remember, but i know they use some tower mounted ones (baby snow giants? or snow cannons or something?)

very mildly

The halfpipe at Camelback is smaller than the one at Blue but I thought it was better. :rock Blue probably has the worst half-pipe in the ski world... :banghead

Camelback's strong point.

Bob and I liked the little park in the middle of the mountain (Rhododendron Glen I think) cause it was a nice quite place to practice and not be in the way.

What...there aren't supposed to be giant crevices and ice chunks in the pipe?

Yeah, sadly- that's their more advanced park :woot