Good News

Park Crue

More streetstyle/gap setups would be sweet, ride on scare me becuase I'm so used to ollieing/climbing up into the rail from Mountain Creek

a steady diet of those suck for skiers. Nipples didn't like MC for that reason. Hit a rail got on and off, it was funny a skier judge later in the comp tried to get up on it and wrecked. BTW nipples was the only skier in a competition of 35 snow boarders.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Montages bumps

Don't really think Papa was referring to moutains like Montage...

Over at the Olympics I got to see first hand how they make competition bump courses. They have a bump machine that looks just like a normal groomer, except its got acuators underneath that form rough bumps. After they form them by machine, they then shape them by hand. After the detail type work, they just start sending good skiers down to form the lines, and then work them a bit more by hand. You end up with a pretty good final product.

So, we're having a Tuesday nite series. Starting in the middle of Jan. Everybody will have 4 chances to qualify for the Finals. So 4 Tuesday nites and then the qualifiers compete in the finals. I need your input on how to breakdown the age groups. I'm thinking 14 & over, 13 & under and women. Trying to get a mega cash prize for winner.

Keith.

So, we're having a Tuesday nite series. Starting in the middle of Jan. Everybody will have 4 chances to qualify for the Finals. So 4 Tuesday nites and then the qualifiers compete in the finals. I need your input on how to breakdown the age groups. I'm thinking 14 & over, 13 & under and women. Trying to get a mega cash prize for winner.

Keith.

I think you should have an "open" category. That should be for the "pros"..

..or maybe they could let falls or Chute bump up. Way back in the day both Chute and Falls had moguls.

Bumps on Chute?!? There was barely had enough snow to cover the trail let alone enough to push into a bump or two. On second thought, a ton of newbies accidentally go that way and fall, so bumps there would really make for interesting people watching. Hmmmm.

Keith.

maybe a women, 14& under, 15& over, and an open...or you could do it like BC does with beginner, intermediate and expert, except you gotta watch for people going a skill level down just to win

How would you determine who is "Pro"?

:ph34r:

Its a phrase. The open category is where the big prizes should be. Usually the opens have the best of the best. You place your self in that category often by paying a fee and then competing. For example: My son might want to compete in that category if there is no competition in his age group. Pro's is just a nick name for the really good riders.

or you could do it like BC does with beginner, intermediate and expert, except you gotta watch for people going a skill level down just to win

I hate that. They should quantify what tricks put you in what category if they are going to do it on a skill level. I was watching cork 5 in the intermediate level last year. gimme a break..

Its a phrase. The open category is where the big prizes should be. Usually the opens have the best of the best. You place your self in that category often by paying a fee and then competing. For example: My son might want to compete in that category if there is no competition in his age group. Pro's is just a nick name for the really good riders.

I hate that. They should quantify what tricks put you in what category if they are going to do it on a skill level. I was watching cork 5 in the intermediate level last year. gimme a break..

I guess my question is, how do you prevent the better "pros" or whatever from going a class down just to cherry pick the prizes? You have to have good prizes for the lower ability kids or there will be no interest down there.

I guess my question is, how do you prevent the better "pros" or whatever from going a class down just to cherry pick the prizes? You have to have good prizes for the lower ability kids or there will be no interest down there.

I guess you can't really. It's been my experience that the open category is a small one. Usually it has the sponsored riders. Sponsored riders aren't as likely to sand bag. The converse problem is prevalent with out an open category. The same riders always win and it is discouraging to getting new entrants when they are all amassed into one group. Series like Bear, BB, RT and soon Blue are the best comps.

Open categories can allow for more stringent judging also. A clean 7 with a grab beats a hucked 10 for example. JMHO

No one around here has the kind of lighting that would be primo for night comps. I actually think its alot easier to keep up a park during the evening hours than during the night. I worked mostly nights last season on park crue and it kinda sucked because by then all the people who could really appreciate your work had gone home. Hopefully I'll be able to work during the mornings more this year. Last year I know it was a little tough because the snowboard school (where park crew is run out of) had alot of lessons and those take priority. Blue's park crew should be kickin it hard this year!

Another note for the comps: Tuesday nights are kind of deadtime aside from school groups. If you close the park on a Saturday or Sunday morning for four weeks in a row, you're gonna have a ton of people bitching.

since theres no chance of the comps getting changed to a weekend day when we can actually see the course, is there any chance they are going to fix the lighting on sidewinder? if the lighting was better and they made better snow that didnt ice up quite as bad, it wouldnt really be a problem to have the comps at night. also, i agree with papa about the categories in bears comp. it sucked last year because there were kids in the novice category that could have placed well in the expert category, but dropped down just to win the easier-to-obtain prizes. obviously give prizes for the lower levels, but save the big prizes for the highest level of competition, otherwise kids have no incentive to push themselves. thats what its about right? comps are supposed to puch your abilities and make you have to work for the prize, it shouldnt be handed over to you because you are so far above and beyond everyone else in your grouping. age categories plus the open division seems like the best bet for this.

Sounds like Blue should just cancel the "Tuesday Nite Fever" until they can institute park passes, better lighting and learn how to make snow!! Come on guys, every year the facilities, conditions and events get better. Rome wasn't built in a day!

Why cancel? Do you compete?

Park passes are tuff. If we have decent weather, than the snow can be worked. Lighting will be inproved.

sounds good to me. i know it was tough this past year with snow cause the weather sucked, but when they tried the last two weeks or so, the snow was awesome in the park and it made everything much better. as long as the lights dont flicker on and off anymore, i'll be content.

So anyway...

I'm glad to hear that Blue is putting some work into Sidewinder. Of course a few of us wish that we had a trail that was a bit easier to work with, but we might as well play with what we got. I really liked the placement of the up flat rail last season on the first turn. Any other features people like or would like to see again in an improved fashion?

need....better.....gaps..and....takeoffs..........please

I saw people ride it but it always looked like death in the making...

Ask dan (shadows) about it... :lol

Keith.. have you looked into what Camelback is doing with their park passes? i know that is one of the major things that us park junkies at Blue were really trying to push.

Please, look into it, and keep us posted.

I was being sarcastic. Don't cancel. You guys will get all the kinks figured out. It just takes time.

You just moved up 1/2 a step on the PASR totem pole.