pine hill/ski action mountain nj

rgrwilco

my friend was just telling me about a place in south jersey where his dad used to go skiing about 20 minuits from my house. i searched the net and the only info i could find was that its now the pine hill golf course, and it sits on the highest point in south jersey at 214ft. does anyone remember this ski area or have any additional info or pictures?

I don't know much about it as a ski area, but I did get to play the golf course earlier this summer. The club house is built on top of that highest point that you mentioned and provides a great view out over much of the course and the surrounding area. There are no remnants of it ever being a ski area though ...

That's where I learned to ski in the Glen Landing (somerdale, nj) SKi club around (yikes!) 1974-75!!! I don't know the vert but it was literally a hill - from the lodge my folks (who didn't ski) could watch me ski top to bottom. It had a T-bar on skiers left and a rope tow right. I think there were 3 "trails" - beginner, beginner, and uh, not beginner. I think I rememeber weekday lift tix were like $6 -f&*k I feel old....for the second time this week. I took my new longboard to Amatuer Athlete with some trucks and wheels that were in the garage for new bushings, cups etc.. Everything was fitting together kinda squirelly and when I did the math I figured the Indy trucks were like 27 years old!!!

• 3 months later...

I don't know when this park actually closed, but I used to drive by the ACTION MOUNTAIN sign for years. I left the area in 1998, and I think the sign was still out (advertising season passes) at the entrance where an apartment complex now sits. As a teenager in high school in the early 90s, our cross country team ran in the woods up there one time, I believe we entered the woods from Blackwood/Clementon road (on the way to Camden County College in Blackwood). After getting lost (the woods were still very dense at that time), we ended up of what was Action Mountain. We could see the skyline of Philadelphia while looking down at the remnants of the park. There were old water slides, plenty of graffiti, and evidence of arson, but I don't remember anything from the "Ski Days". Although one could see large concrete blocks of cement that could have been for the ski lift or t-bar. Sadly, by this point, I think the park was a popular destination for partying and the growing of marijuana.

I meet a guy once who was a life guard at the park who told me a funny story about a fat guy making one of the slides impassable. A teacher I had also mentioned there used to be a lake back in that area where he took his son to swim?

I'd love to read more about the area/park, but I have found nothing except information on Pine Valley, the golf course which currently occupies the land. If anyone has a link to more info, I'd be very appreciative!

• 3 weeks later...

different track...vernon / mt creek is north, pine hill was where jim says - right around the corner from Clementon Park. My guess is that not there either. I hadn't been down that way for prolly 30+ years intil this past fall i had to go to a USA Hockey seminar. I thought i could maybe navigate my way around still but gave up after a few minutes!

action park before mountain creek actually had a looping waterslide. insane.

loopin.jpg

So, is this a picture of ACTION MOUNTAIN that was in the town of Pine Hill, Camden County....or ACTION PARK in another part of the state?

Here's the website for Pine Hill Golf Course that occupies the former Action Mountain:

http://www.golfpinehill.com/page/14-234.htm

If you wait for the pictures to change on the main page, you'll see the clubhouse on the hill. I believe its the hill from which you can see to Philadelphia, it must have been the hill I was on years ago. I'd love to see it again, perhaps I'll scale a fence or two next time I'm in NJ.

Its sad to see the park gone, but I guess having a private golf course there on the land is better than a housing development or another useless strip mall or worse.

Edited by jim102016

At this point in time we have sixty business' in town including a golf course designed by Tom Fasio with a restaurant on the old "Ski/Action Mountain" site on Branch Avenue

You should turn this one into nelsap.org you might get more info, eventually.

http://www.nelsap.org/contribute.html

Edited by Papasteeze

• 1 year later...

My sister and a couple of her friends took me skiing at Pine Hill once or twice. I think it was in about 1982, but it could have even been early 1983. I did not realize that it was closed, since I did not take much to skiing and left the area in 1985. It was a cute little ski area from what I recall, but I'm sure real snow sport people thought it was a joke.

It's strange that something from my past has almost entirely disappeared from memory for so many!

• 2 years later...

Just spotted this old thread. I live 10 minutes from what used to be "Ski Mountain", and subsequently "Action Park". This was the first place I ever skied back in the late 60's, while in high school. I am not sure what year it ceased operations as a ski hill, and never visited it when it was Action Park.

• 9 years later...