Moving your way

Phil

I found out recently that I am moving to Pottstown. I am bummed to be leaving York because I was really close to Ski Roundtop. I have been going there six days a week for a long time. I am pretty excited about Bear Creek, though. I have never been there when snow was on the ground.

I was hoping that you guys could tell me what you think of it overall. I would especially like to know how it compares to Roundtop.

How is their pipe on an average day? It seems like you guys are pretty happy with the park. Are there any steeps?

I have been lurking here for a while because I had a feeling that we were moving to Pottstown since this summer. As I lurked, there seemed to be a vibe between skiers and snowboarders and also between BC riders/skiers and Blue Mt. riders/skiers. Is that how it is on the hill, or just in this forum?

Anyway, my plan is to still be at SRT on the weekends, but to hit up BC on the week days. Next year, I will cut the umbilical cord and be at BC six days a week.

Lastly, does anyone know anything about the Freestyle Coaching program (besides what is on the website)?

Hah... all night I thought Phil was Philpug, imagine my confusion as he was asking about PA areas with any real interest.

... anyways. BC doesn't have a lot going on outside of the park. They have one short headwall that I think they let bump up, but... well it's short, not that steep and dumps you out into a trail merge, so really bombing out of it with any speed is borderline suicidal.

Blue is the best freeriding in the immediate area. Blue and BC seem to have a friendly rivalry going as they both are in close proximity to allentown/bethlehem/eatson. More pocono kids hit up Blue, and mroe philly kids hit up BC.

I was hoping that you guys could tell me what you think of it overall. I would especially like to know how it compares to Roundtop.

How is their pipe on an average day?

Are there any steeps?

Is that how it is on the hill, or just in this forum?

Lastly, does anyone know anything about the Freestyle Coaching program (besides what is on the website)?

I am going to put in a plug for BC

Roundtop Skis bigger than BC but in many ways they are very similar. Both are strong with thier racing and park programs. BC has top shelf lodge and other facilities, everything is brand new.

Pipe is very weather dependant - BC does a better job than RT better than Blue, however last year no one other than CB really had a pipe open due to weather.

BC has short steeps and they have new trails open for weeknight racing.

The rivalry is friendly loyalty everyone pretty much knows everyone else. I find that quality of the snow at Blue is the worst in pa, due some type of grooming problem. doug is the only person I know that likes it

Coaching, Given the amount of time you spent at RT - Contact the GM directly, you will find his contact info on here under his profile. I think he would be stoked to have you aboard.

... anyways. BC doesn't have a lot going on outside of the park.

That is wrong - BC will likely have a very strong adult racing program this year through the various clubs. They have more demand than they do supply for weeknight racing lanes.

hah, weclome!

as for the rivralvry between the two, that's most on this forum, alot of us are very montain loyal, and it's all in good fun, because everyone knows blue is the best in the area :nana

You have to ask yourselft this:

Do I want a good park and no trails, or a good park and good trails? If you just want the park, goto BC, but if you spend more then 10% of your time out of the park, drive the extra distance to blue, it's worth the drive.

As for the worst snow conditions in PA, I'd say CB's grooming is far worse. I just love how all the trails there are crowned (Asp/Marjies/Rocket/Hump) The groomers can't figure out how to groom them flat :rofl

How far is Blue from Pottstown (too lazy to mapquest)? Like I said - my plan is six days a week, so I don't want to drive too far.

It is scary to hear that SRT rides bigger than BC - I never thought that SRT rode that big.

Thanks for the response everyone.

When you guys talk about racing, is that just ski, or is there snowboard racing as well?

When you guys talk about racing, is that just ski, or is there snowboard racing as well?

I race Nastar at BC all the time on my board. But someone said something at the beging of the summer about blue starting aboarding race program so i have to see whats up with that.

Phil- come on we need another HB at Blue!!!

Chubz and I got a chance to ride with you at MAC tracks last year. Thanks again for hosting it, I had a blast. Blue does have a snowboard race team and the instructor Marion(?) would love some competition. Neil at RT told me he use to race against Marion. If you ever want to hit some earlier morning groomers drop me a line.

Jesse

With Nastar skiers and snowboarders are welcome along with telemark skiers.

If there is any chance you can get to BC for their fall festival, you should do it and meet the core people. At blue you will get lost in the crowd or end up fighting the crowd. There are hardbooters and there is talk about boarder gates but they need input from people like yourself.

That is wrong - BC will likely have a very strong adult racing program this year through the various clubs. They have more demand than they do supply for weeknight racing lanes.

Sorry, I worded my orginal response in not the most helpful way. Managment really wants to make BC a great place to go to and for what they lack in actual terrain, they try to make up for in programs they offer and quality of service. Their park is great, and their staff is friendly. I can't speak to the quality of their racing program as I don't race or really deal with that mountain on a regular basis.

Personally my mountain experience mostly revolves around two variables, terrain and crowds. There wasn't a crowd when I visited the mountain (although I'm not sure this is the norm), and outside of the park the terrain was pretty lame.

BC's riding outside of the park isnt as bad as everyone says, its certainly not that good, but i do spend some time out of the park there. going right off the old triple and bombing is fun.

Compared to most resorts in PA it is bad. They have done a good job of waking up the competition, in the end I think it will hurt BC.

BC's riding outside of the park isnt as bad as everyone says

BC easily has the worst free riding of any mountain I have ever been to. Without ever having actually been on the mountain, Alpine Mountain's headwalls (ok, so it's really the same headwall but it spans all the trails) look more interesting than BC's headwall.

BC easily has the worst free riding of any mountain I have ever been to. Without ever having actually been on the mountain, Alpine Mountain's headwalls (ok, so it's really the same headwall but it spans all the trails) look more interesting than BC's headwall.

I've been to places that advertise a 250ft. vertical drop like Spring Mt. and Split Rock...that is what BC is comparable to.

Watch out for the steeps at BC! Don't blink when you get off the chair, you might end up in the lodge before you know it. I thought they were just starting a racing class this year. How can it be better than anyones? Nice lodge..............SHITTY HILL!

:ph34r:

Ha, I was keeping my mouth shut about that. Jeez, they had the world's worst NASTAR course and are going at a USSA program with half-ass effort and total hype. Let them prove something for a single season before passing on hype when someone is asking for real info. So far, BC is one of the Pocono ski areas that DOESN'T have a USSA race program or any certified coaches. CB, Blue, Shawnee, MC, Tanglwood, Elk, Sno, BB/JF are all local areas that offer USSA race programs and both group and individual adult race training. So far, BC has had a mini recreational race course with dorky announcers.

But, as TP4 will tell you, they sure know how to treat their park kids. BC is first rate when it comes to anything to do with their terrain park. Our new owners at Sno Mountain would do well to learn from BC's terrain park people. (We still cool, TP4?)

Ha, I was keeping my mouth shut about that. Jeez, they had the world's worst NASTAR course and are going at a USSA program with half-ass effort and total hype. Let them prove something for a single season before passing on hype when someone is asking for real info. So far, BC is one of the Pocono ski areas that DOESN'T have a USSA race program or any certified coaches. CB, Blue, Shawnee, MC, Tanglwood, Elk, Sno, BB/JF are all local areas that offer USSA race programs and both group and individual adult race training. So far, BC has had a mini recreational race course with dorky announcers.

But, as TP4 will tell you, they sure know how to treat their park kids. BC is first rate when it comes to anything to do with their terrain park. Our new owners at Sno Mountain would do well to learn from BC's terrain park people. (We still cool, TP4?)

BC's announcers are the shit! :lol

I don't know if I would say they have the worlds worst Nastar course, just because you saw rob on it... :lol

Park City has a mad flat 15 second course...Much flatter than BCs....

BC's announcers are the shit! :lol

I don't know if I would say they have the worlds worst Nastar course, just because you saw rob on it... :lol

Park City has a mad flat 15 second course...Much flatter than BCs....

I've never seen Rob race...I've seen him freeskiing and just can't picture those types of turns on a course. As to the announcers, you either love 'em or hate 'em and I'm not interested in goofy banter. BC's course would be better if it was flatter, so it would be more kid friendly. Instead, they jam too many gates on a tiny little course, which would be just fine if it was a slalom set.

How is their pipe on an average day? It seems like you guys are pretty happy with the park. Are there any steeps?

I have been lurking here for a while because I had a feeling that we were moving to Pottstown since this summer. As I lurked, there seemed to be a vibe between skiers and snowboarders and also between BC riders/skiers and Blue Mt. riders/skiers. Is that how it is on the hill, or just in this forum?

Anyway, my plan is to still be at SRT on the weekends, but to hit up BC on the week days. Next year, I will cut the umbilical cord and be at BC six days a week.

I've had good and bad days at Bear. Sometimes the place is great and sometimes its not so great. Just like every other hill I've ever skied. If I'm coming from Philly or Pottstown in your case, and just tryin to hit a few jumps and jibs, then I'd definitely go to Bear as it is closer than Blue. However, if I also wanna get some fast runs in and get some good turns, then Blue takes the cake.

Last year the pipe was pretty bad at BC, at Blue, and just about everywhere in the Poconos. Since just about everyone invested some money into their pipes last year, and then didnt have the conditions to make that worthwhile, I don't think any mountains pipe could be ranked after last season.

Ya there is a little vibe between BC and Blue riders. We ride each others stuff almost weekly and some of us work for our respective mountains, so its just friendly banter aside from this kid no one likes named Dorsey... On the hill we all ride together.

If you're interested in coaching freeride skiing at Blue on weekends shoot me a pm.

Last year the pipe was pretty bad at BC, at Blue, and just about everywhere in the Poconos. Since just about everyone invested some money into their pipes last year, and then didnt have the conditions to make that worthwhile, I don't think any mountains pipe could be ranked after last season.

Uh, CB's pipe was in decent/good condition well over 75% of the time. It's definately not as big as blues or bears, but I'll take a rideable smaller pipe any day over whatever Blue had. I didn't hit up BC this past season but from what you are saying, CB's was also better than BC's.

Uh, CB's pipe was in decent/good condition well over 75% of the time. It's definately not as big as blues or bears, but I'll take a rideable smaller pipe any day over whatever Blue had. I didn't hit up BC this past season but from what you are saying, CB's was also better than BC's.

Ya I didn't get to CB so have no say on that. I'm not into the ridable mini pipes.