New York Mountains

Schif

Me and some of my friends are already getting pretty anxious about the upcoming winter. We want to plan a weekend trip to New York state. There are a ton of mountains up there though. I dont want to drive more than 3 hours too. I have heard good things about Hunter, Greek Peak, and Windam. Anybody know which are the best? Cheapness would also be good cuz we're only a couple of 18 year olds with seasonal employment. Thanks

Greek Peak is too small for the drive. It's like driving really far to ski in the Poconos. Hunter is by far the most crowded. A sunny Saturday and you decide to challenge yourself down Hellgate and it's like getting on the Parkway at 5pm. Hunter is truly skiing's version of the NYC subway. Someone their even had the brilliant idea of naming runs after shitty, overcrowded NY area highways. Windham has less crowds, although most people consider it a little less challenging. I haven't understood what is challenging about Hunter, but if people say it's hard and ski there, then they must feel better about their skiing. Windham has a cool headwall (Wheelchair?---not sure) that has a wicked steep pitch and is right under a lift. By far the best skiing in the Catskill Region is Belleyare. But don't freaking tell anyone else! It's cheaper, has 10 or so good fall line diamonds, and has 1/10 the crowd as Hunter.

Why all those people load up on the Long Island Expressway and herd their bodies to the Hunter masses--- which is mostly clad in NY Jets Starter jackets--- is a mystery to me.

yea hunter gets super crowded on weekends. windham the same, but maybe a little less. i was just up at hunter n windham yesterday, (seein the foolidge, took the skyride at hunter). i think windham is a better mountain then hunter, so much more a variety of trails and is spread out. looks awesome lookin up from the lodge. but yea better overall :rock

My $0.02:

Hunter has appeal because it opens early, closes late, and has a great deal with their CamelCard equivalent - I skied there four times last year for a total of about $35. You MUST get there early, because it's a mob scene later, and I agree with ski999 about it being generally gross. They have challenging back areas, but they are not always open at the times we would go.

Wyndham is supposed to be easier and family oriented, but I've never been there.

Skidude and I had a blast at Greek Peak last year - they allow tree skiing, and had some fun tree runs, which is a nice change from the Pocono areas. We were driving by the area, so I can't comment on the commute.

We went to Belleayre once and had great fun skiing in mashed potatoes at a time when the other areas had closed shop.

Edited by skimom

• 1 month later...

I've been goin to Greek Peak for about 5 years now. My family goes up it seems like every weekend in Feb. I love it there personally. Its a smaller mountain but Its like my second home. Its never super crowded compared to some places. Good hills, but there are a few amount of hills that are difficult. But they at least improved their terrain park last year. I think the prices there are reasonable. We usually get season passes so Im not positive. But overall I think its a great mountain :yes

Edited by Zonked