Better park?!?!?

Glenn

And when they say 'machine groomed, packed powder', they believe it.

Haha, true that. Deep down inside I think they truly believe that sheets of bulletproof ice is packed powder. They might as well just pour buckets of water down the mountain. Do you think if they groomed their "snow" less it would help?

I have never rode at camelback and probably won't, all I hear is negatives about the place , ski patrol, crowds, the park sucks. Sounds like the only thing they have going is their lifts which I heard are quite nice, wish some other spots would get new lifts. I guess i'll just stick to Blue (freeriding) and Bear (park). As well as the ocassional trip to jf/bb and elk. As for the C-rail I know Bear Creek has a C-box.

I have never rode at camelback and probably won't, all I hear is negatives about the place , ski patrol, crowds, the park sucks.

That would be a good idea. CB is only good for playing human slalom. The only time it's enjoyable for normal skiing is at night, when the snow gets really fast and you can run laps on the Sullivan quad. It's deserted and feels like you have a whole high speed quad to yourself.

That would be a good idea.  CB is only good for playing human slalom.  The only time it's enjoyable for normal skiing is at night, when the snow gets really fast and you can run laps on the Sullivan quad.  It's deserted and feels like you have a whole high speed quad to yourself.

Or early morning till about 11. Either way those are the only times I ride, which is why I don't mind the crowds that much.

I guess as someone who has skied Elk, Jack Frost, Big Boulder, Shawnee, Blue, Blue Knob, Seven Springs, Mountain Creek (and back when it was Vernon/Great Gorge) and Camelback over a 25 year period, I have to comment. First of all, any mountain you ski all the time will gain from familiarity. That is, once you know the mountain's rhythms, the crowd issue diminishes. You know how to time your breaks, when to get there, when to ski which trails, etc.

I like Elk's ambiance, but haven't found a trail there that keeps me challenged. I love cruisers, though, and they have some GREAT cruisers, so when you combine that with the ambiance it's a winner. I think over time the slow lifts would drive me nuts, though.

Jack Frost, Big Boulder, and Shawnee are the pits. Once you know how to ski, there is NOTHING there to interest you for more than about 15 minutes. Maybe there is some terrain park there for boarders, but as a skier they are not worth the trip.

Seven Springs has the unusual feel in Pennsylvania of being a "destination resort", but the runs are spread around a lot and the integration of the various sections leaves a lot to be desired. They don't funnel into a base area very well, and some of them are really short. Plus, it's clear on the other side of Pa.

Blue had a terrible cafeteria set up with the smoke from the bar getting to most of the eating areas in the place. Some of the black runs are terrific, but the bottom of those runs has safety issues with the boarders, beginners, and experts all converging into what I can only call a large field. Blue also has the same ice and crowd issues that Camelback has. The only benefit is there are less NYC people, so that the populace is more "blue collar", less "glitz". I don't feel there is good integration of the two parts of Blue into "one mountain".

Camelback is well located from an access standpoint, which is why it gets so many crowds. They have a great variety of dining options and those who know can actually have a relaxing lunch without a lot of stress. Most of the buildings are smoke free. They have one challenging run, Cliffhanger, and some runs that are challenging, but way too short (all the central blacks) as they dump onto runouts half way down. They do a good job of managing their crowds and as many of us have said, there are "secret chairs" if it gets really bad. They do seem to have a high level of skiing jerks there, possibly because they are so accessible. They do a good job with their snow. Major problem areas in past years (I once called Honeymoon Lane "Suicide Alley") seem to somehow have been improved over the years to where they are not quite as bad as they used to be. (I think that the new groomers have created a surface that holds up a couple of hours longer, enough for me to get all MY feet in, anyway. I used to leave at 2 PM, last year I skied there I was able to get thru until 3 or 4.)

Anyway, comparing any of the Pocono areas to each other may be splitting hairs for the most part. Most of their problems come with their location -- lack of real vertical, closeness to large metro areas, lack of natural snow. The reason Elk keeps getting mentioned is it doesn't have these built-in problems to the degree the other areas do. It would be nice if they ever got enough money to throw some more of it on the lifts and the mountain, but the lack of crowds actually causes their lift issue.

3 or 4.) 

.  The reason Elk keeps getting mentioned is it doesn't have these built-in problems to the degree the other areas do.  It would be nice if they ever got enough money to throw some more of it on the lifts and the mountain, but the lack of crowds actually causes their lift issue.

I always hated the dreaded "Elk Mobile" at the end of a long day of skiing.

I always hated the dreaded "Elk Mobile" at the end of a long day of skiing.

two years ago i actually parked up top, no need to use the elk mobile, but i did that last year, and honestly, that was the worst thing possible. the high for the day was 9 degrees, so just imagine riding in it in that weather. :D

Elk Mobile?!? I've never heard of it When I was there I parked in a lot by the snow. I actually had to walk a little uphill around a fence and ride down to the lodge. (carrying all of my stuff) :naughty

Edited by Schifdawg

Elk Mobile?!? I've never heard of it  When I was there I parked in a lot by the snow. I actually had to walk a little uphill around a fence and ride down to the lodge. (carrying all of my stuff) :naughty

they made me park down below, BEFORE the guard house....you take the elk mobile up that hill..... :blink:

Most days if you have your boots on they will let you ski the quad until like 930 am, so you can go up there and ski down and get your tickets...But if you need to bring stuff to the lodge, it doesn't work as well.

yea, i've done that before....it is a good idea, since the lift IS right there. :P

• 2 weeks later...
I have never rode at camelback and probably won't, all I hear is negatives about the place , ski patrol, crowds, the park sucks.  Sounds like the only thing they have going is their lifts which I heard are quite nice, wish some other spots would get new lifts.  I guess i'll just stick to Blue (freeriding) and Bear (park).  As well as the ocassional trip to jf/bb and elk.  As for the C-rail I know Bear Creek has a C-box.

I've heard negatives about the Rangers but not the Ski Patrol. What does the Ski Patrol do? I just always see them helping bring down the unfortunate injured people.

Jack Frost, Big Boulder, and Shawnee are the pits.  Once you know how to ski, there is NOTHING there to interest you for more than about 15 minutes.  Maybe there is some terrain park there for boarders, but as a skier they are not worth the trip. 

What about the twintippers?? :angry::angry:

I've heard negatives about the Rangers but not the Ski Patrol.  What does the Ski Patrol do?  I just always see them helping bring down the unfortunate injured people.

That is basicly what ski partrol does. The EMTs on the mountain.

So places also have them make sure you are skiing and riding in control and stuff, but CB has rangers for that.

What are the twintippers?

Skiers with a tip on the front and back of the ski...Is that what you were looking for?

Twintippers are freestyle skiers, their skis go up on each end like a snowboard. My buddy picked up of nice pair at the Buckman tent sale. I snowboard but to see some of the stuff these freestyle skiers are doing is quite amazing. Some of them destroy the park and the pipe.