Waxing

flick

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure if that is bad for the ski.  A number of racing magizines and websites have things where you can send them your skis and they put wax on them, then put them in an oven for 90 minutes, to the wax gets melted into the base deeply. 

Not sure how well it works tho...

Maybe Ski999 can give us some insight in this :confused

it's called a hotbox, and it really works. But its not as hot as an oven, its just hot enough to help the wax seep into the pores of the base. I was considering sending my new skis next year to this place that will hotbox them for hours on end with different waxes, and they'll be sooo fast. :D

The advantage is cost, convenience, and quality of wax. You should wax ever time out, ideally. But even if you wax every third time, that's a ton of money. And if you do it yourself, you'll end up matching your wax to conditions. Hard wax for cold weather; soft wax for warm weather. If I'm using a basic universal wax, it costs me about $1 to put a quick hot wax on my skis.

Hey atomic rent you my rusted up 1979 ford f-150 to get the wood. After all it isn't going anywhere seeing how I can't drive. Btw while you pick up the truck we have tons of firewood you can load up here at my house. Im only about 10-15 mins from bethlehem off of route 22!

Does everyone here wax their own gear? Generally I take my board over to Bear Creek and have them do it for me. What would be some of the advantages of doing it myself?

I do my own stuff. It is a lot cheaper, faster, and I get it done just how I like it. After a few times you can experiment and see how you like your edges, and other stuff like that, and do it the same way every time, unlike at a shop where they will do it differently everytime. Also I know exactlly what wax I should use for the weather the next time I plan on skiing.

I can try to take some pics the next time I am up at CB waxing my stuff. But that might be a week or 2.

what AtomicSkier said is all correct, but whoever created this thready, you snowboard right? i am guessing you are gonna be riding a lot of park as well? putting that much work into the base of your board, like rewaxing a brand new board to get the base fibers out, is something you dont really need to do. if you are riding park, your edges are going to get trashed from rails and you base will lose wax somewhat quickly.

All of the tech sites like SVC, RR, and the Beast people, recommend that you hot wax then scrape new skis 10 to 15 times. Race room skis are hot waxed 40 times.

Sound crazy? Yeah, I agree. When I get new skis, I wax and scrape them four or five times.

A skis base is like a sponge. It can only soak up just so much wax each time you hot wax. You want the wax as deep as you can get it and that comes from repetition.

Think that'll work without scraping between each hot wax? Just letting the wax cool then hot waxing again?

Think that'll work without scraping between each hot wax? Just letting the wax cool then hot waxing again?

Nah, you'll have all the wax left over. You want to get fresh wax into the base. The wax doesn't disspear after you iron it in. It will look like nothing happened, actually. You scrape it off, it seems counter productive, but its what you do. Scraping and brushing actually help you remove stuff from the base (scraping/brushing the wax helps "pull" stuff off)

what if you went through with base cleaner in between each wax?

I'll use the hand lotion analogy again

When you use hand lotion, you want it to be absorbed into your skin, you don't want globs of white crap on your hand. Same thing with skis. You want it in the base, not ON the base. You iron it into the base, then scrape the excess that doesn't get into the base, off. You don't want to get rid of the wax thats IN the base, which is what base cleaner will do.

Yep. Base cleaners should only be used when you do repair work. They are evil. Clean your bases by using a cheap wax and hot waxing/scraping. Zardoz is topical and doesn't sink in. You'll ski/ride it off in a couple of runs. It's sure better than nothing, but think of like a sunscreen: Zardoz gives you a 1 UV protection, while a each hotwax gives you a 10 UV protection.

something like zardoz is nice to have for comps, like if you are doing a skiiercross/boardercross, or a slopestyle/big air/half pipe comp where you can put a little bit of the stuff on between each run and dont have time to hot wax.

I'd think that if you were entering a comp, that you want more than ever to have real wax on your bases. If it's cold or rough snow, Zardoz will rub off in 20 feet.

I'd think that if you were entering a comp, that you want more than ever to have real wax on your bases. If it's cold or rough snow, Zardoz will rub off in 20 feet.

I picked up a puck of Zardoz from my local ski/snowboard shop, haven't tried it yet though. The store manager claims that it's great when you use it on top of a waxed board and also recommended using it on a clean base right before you hot wax, so that it gets deeper into the base.

Think that'll work?

I picked up a puck of Zardoz from my local ski/snowboard shop, haven't tried it yet though. The store manager claims that it's great when you use it on top of a waxed board and also recommended using it on a clean base right before you hot wax, so that it gets deeper into the base.

Think that'll work?

I'd be interested in having 'Dude go to the zardoznotwax.com website and read about the Felix Process for combining Zardoz with traditional waxes. They say to use a wax cleaner to remove all wax from your base. Then to stone grind perfectly flat because any structure makes you slow and wears off the Zardoz too quickly. It sure seems like you are ruining your board to go fast for a short time, if you follow directions carefully.