Plastic or Steel?

zaldon

Which are better bindings for a snowboard?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which are better bindings for a snowboard?

• Plastic-Clip-on
    • Steel-Clip-on
    • Plastic-strap-on
    • Stee-strap-on

I put steel step in only because thats what I use.  I can't give an oppion on srap ins but I would deffinatly trust metal more with step-ins.  I don't think the same would be true for stap-ins though because diffrent forces are involved.

I realy dont like step in binidngs the board doesn't give reasponses to movement as well as strap ins, and they are just a hasle with getting packed snow in them.

Edited by zaldon

I've used both and the strap ins are so much more responsive. They also feel much more... secure maybe. You definately feel one with the board, whereas with the step ins it feels like your boots are one with the board, and its a little sloppier.

Then again that was rental equipment, so getting better stuff may make a difference.

Edited by dthmtluncrn

Yeah the swith step in they have for rentals are horribal.  with mone teh boots touch the board and you get a good feal with it.  But I'v seen some were the boot is like an inch off the board and I can't imagin that is good.

I dont know, with my gas pedals on my strap ins, I'm probobly an inch off the board, and it definately helps me control.

I used to have step ins, K2 with the highback. I loved them. I never encountered any problems with coming out, or response. It was actually cool because i was able to do a little trick where i popped my back foot out, waved it around a little, and put it back in. I only got strap ins now because K2 discontuned all of the highback stepins so when I outgrew my boots I needed new bindings too. :banghead The only advantage to straps I see is getting off the ground, other than that step ins win because of the convenience.

Step in= Crap. there heavy, no support at all, no sense of security

Plastic straps indeed. using plastic as a lack of a better term. most are like carbon reinforced and crap. but yeah. totally lighter all around. alot more responsive also because steel tends to give easier, and a lot of steel baseplates, the heelcup is seperated from the baseplate, not allowing for max response.

Check out Burtons stuff, my opinion, best bindings made. check out the Cartels. there really responsive bindings. probably one of the best this year. awesome stuff. not to mention burtons additive of the capstrap to every model from the mission and up. sweet stuff man.

Step in= Crap. there heavy, no support at all, no sense of security

Plastic straps indeed. using plastic as a lack of a better term. most are like carbon reinforced and crap. but yeah. totally lighter all around. alot more responsive also because steel tends to give easier, and a lot of steel baseplates, the heelcup is seperated from the baseplate, not allowing for max response.

Check out Burtons stuff, my opinion, best bindings made. check out the Cartels. there really responsive bindings. probably one of the best this year. awesome stuff. not to mention burtons additive of the capstrap to every model from the mission and up. sweet stuff man.

The plastics are more responsive? One of the arguments I've heard for the metal bindings is they resond better because they are stiffer. Either way I like mine (saloman sp2 plastic bindings).

Can't comment on step-in as the only ones I've tried are CB's rentals and they were horrible, new (and better) ones would probably be good but for me there's something about ratcheting down the straps that's just part of snowboarding.

As for metal / plastic, currently riding plastic (Sims Seditions), but can lift heel a couple of millimeters off of the board when strapped in (can't be good for turning). They may be light but they've got to go.

I'll be replacing them with some technines in the next couple of weeks, I'll update this when I've tried them out.

Can't comment on step-in as the only ones I've tried are CB's rentals and they were horrible, new (and better) ones would probably be good but for me there's something about ratcheting down the straps that's just part of snowboarding.

As for metal / plastic, currently riding plastic (Sims Seditions), but can lift heel a couple of millimeters off of the board when strapped in (can't be good for turning).  They may be light but they've got to go. 

I'll be replacing them with some technines in the next couple of weeks, I'll update this when I've tried them out.

Sounds like your boots dont fit your bindings or something, I never heard of lifting your boot off the heel why strapped in???? :confused

Sounds like your boots dont fit your bindings or something, I never heard of lifting your boot off the heel why strapped in????  :confused

Not the boot from the binding, the binding lifts from the board at the back. I think it's because I have to put the mounting screws at one end of the plastic mounting disk to position my boots on the board properly and there's just too much leverage to keep it flat to the board.

Anyway my list of candidate bindings are:

Salomon SPX6

Ride Flight Tomcats

Technine Pro (Hebbel / MFM ot team with cap-strap added)

Drake F60 or supersport

Any of you have any views or experience of any of these?

I have salomon sp2's.? I def dig them alot, the next pair of bindings I buy will be in the sp line. I was actually looking at the spx set last year, but I got mono, so I decided not to buy eqiupment. I don't know a whole lot about the other bindings.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add:

My new technine dominator (justin hebbel model with "baltimore" toe strap) are the best thing ever invented, by anyone, in the history of snow sports.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

They are soooooo comfortable, everything anyone has ever said about how good the toe cup idea is understating it. Everyone with a snow board should try these.

as for platic / steel, they have metal rods in the polycorbonate base plate and an aluminum heel cup. They weigh less than my old plastic Sims.

:band