Stances

Timeless

At Killington, I noticed a large proportion of the boarders running very "forward" stances, just wondered what the "norm" was amongst PASR members and what works best on our east coast "hardpack" (aka ice :) )

I spent last year (my first) at +18 / -9 and about 21 inches, with my new Technines on this year I may experiment a bit more.

Sorry to all the skiers, I guess a standard 0,0 or 90,90 for you guys, depending on which way you look at it. :D

I ride 15, -6 don't know the distance off hand. I think I may ride with a little more on the front binding. It's basically whatever you feel comfortable with and what type of riding. If you plan on doing switch riding you need a little more angle on your rear foot. Front is whatever you are comforatble with. The distance between is generally larger for park riding. Just play around a bunch and see what you like.

Edited by dthmtluncrn

I recently set up my new board (k2/www/152) as 15, and - 15. I have my feet equally set so riding switch feels the same as riding regular. This works out nicely for this board cuz its twin tipped (no distinctive nose/tail). I don't know the distance between my bindings and I really should figure it out because its much farther apart than my stance last year.

Depends on what I am riding, on my freestyle setup I ride -9/+17. On my freeride setup I ride 0/+17. I go a little wider on my freestyle setup around 22 inches and about 21.5 on the freeride setup ( I am 5'9). I was told to have both angles positive for freeridng but it does not feel right to me. I think its all about what you feel is comfortable. You will see a lot more forward stances up there than here because there is a lot more freeriding and these people are most likely are not hitting the park. But if you went over to the park almost everyone would be rockin a duck stance. If you are riding park or a lot of switch than I would stay with a duck stance -/+, for cruising around its up to you. :rock

The small mountains and no powder is the reason I ride plates. (and I like to stay on the ground) Find a groomed trail and its like a private roller coaster ride. Razor, Paradise at Blue and Nine Mile at Camelback are decent carving trails. Plus east coast hard pack (ice) is perfect for an alpine board.

The small mountains and no powder is the reason I ride plates.  (and I like to stay on the ground)  Find a groomed trail and its like a private roller coaster ride.  Razor, Paradise at Blue and Nine Mile at Camelback are decent carving trails.  Plus east coast hard pack (ice) is perfect for an alpine board.

Yeah I can see the whole ice thing, but there just isnt enough vert for me to be content just carving. If I rode at blue all the time, things may be different, but since CB is my primary mountain, I need to do something else.

I generally go with a 15/-8, it is a pretty good all around stance. I can go hunting for powder or just chill in the park really easily. Carving cruisers is fun and all, but I cant justify setting myself up to only do that.

I ride +21/+9 and find its good all around riding.

The numbers everyone are rattling off are the degrees off center their bindings are set at. If your feet are perfectly perpendicular to the board they are at 0 degrees. The front foot is almost always at a positive angle (I have seen a few people who ride at 0 for both). The rear foot is sometimes at a negative agle for better switch, and sometimes at a positive angles for carving. The distance is the distance between the bindings.

The numbers everyone are rattling off are the degrees off center their bindings are set at. If your feet are perfectly perpendicular to the board they are at 0 degrees. The front foot is almost always at a positive angle (I have seen a few people who ride at 0 for both). The rear foot is sometimes at a negative agle for better switch, and sometimes at a positive angles for carving. The distance is the distance between the bindings.

haha yea, i know, I just like that smilie. I was once a boarder myself, and I could easilly still do it. but I just like skiing alot more :)

o yea i usually have my forward lean set like a little less than halfway,  but i change it depending on the conditions of what I'm doing

I have my forward lean (the forced lean forward on the boot implemented via heel plate) set as far back as possible. I can get more than enough heel edge without it. Again if I ran a more alpine oriented setup I might have it set forward a little more for a forced tuck, but... I can't justify only riding trails when I have such limited vert.

Edited by dthmtluncrn

I have my forward lean (the forced lean forward on the boot implemented via heel plate) set as far back as possible. I can get more than enough heel edge without it. Again if I ran a more alpine oriented setup I might have it set forward a little more for a forced tuck, but... I can't justify only riding trails when I have such limited vert.

yea i dont really use it for the heel edge, but it helps me to get a lot more pop with my ollies if i have it more forward though

yea i don't really use it for the heel edge, but it helps me to get a lot more pop with my ollies if i have it more forward though

I've never heard that, but I will have to give it a try. The preseason is great for testing stuff out because the riding is only mediocre anyways.

the distance between my bindings is beyond me. i just played with it til it felt right. my m3 jib setup is at -15/15. and when my burton custom comes in it will be set at -12/15. i prefer the duck stnace for everything because i have played ice hockey all my life and it has forced my leg and muscle growth to make me a bit duck footed naturally. so the duck stance just feels more comfortable overall. plus when im carving i love to be able to just ollie to switch and keep on going. as for binding lean i dial that in with the back plate. a lil more for carving, but overall i dont go too crazy with it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

-15/+12, zero forward lean, 23 inch stance on a 156 jeenyus rental in all conditions, including 4 feet of fresh

forward lean is for pipe jocks and people who never skated

also, alpine boards are a waste of materials and should be burned

Edited by DHarrisburg