07-08 Park Ideas

Rodeo Steve

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i heard blues park got alot better last year unfortanitly i didn't make it up there last year!! i hope to get some days in up there this year. i think blue should make an s box (if they don't have one)actualy i think they do so nvm that
Are you the guy who is super proficient in ghetto speak? You made me laugh. At the beginning of the season, come to the Park Crue shack and ask for me[Keith]. I will hook you up with a day pass.
i think that would be a good candidate for an A frame box (up-down)down works good though.
It kind of already is. It rides pretty good, but I think the down should have been a lot mellower and longer..I have to go take a good look at it again.

i meant with symmetrical angles/length. right now the up is steeper (and shorter obviously) than the down.

the down angle on it now is great, its just that the up is much steeper. if the down was more mellow it would sort of become more of an up-flat.

that kind of angle on the up section is a good mellow wallride angle actually. at least i think so.

i appreciate your time in this stuff keith, gives me something to do haha.

Are you the guy who is super proficient in ghetto speak? You made me laugh. At the beginning of the season, come to the Park Crue shack and ask for me[Keith]. I will hook you up with a day pass.It kind of already is. It rides pretty good, but I think the down should have been a lot mellower and longer..I have to go take a good look at it again.

u are going to hook me up with a day pass bc u like how i talked???

Dan, the feedback I've had on that rail is that the down part is too quick, and that the down to flat kink could have been mellower or even curved, because frontsiding/boardsliding it is sketchy. Also that the flat section is too short. Maybe just redoing it to an up,flat down rail might be the way to go.

I think discussing this stuff is good for the soul. And also we want every feature to be as good as can be.

sounds good keith! the 60 foot rail sounds excellent, thats the sort of stuff that i really like to ride. thank god the crackerbarrel is being retired! the new rollercoaster box looks like it could be pretty fun, and so does the down flat down. any chance you guys can start building stuff with round coping instead of square? the inward kink on the dfd might be a little rough with how harsh the angle is on the square tubing on the sides. everything's looking sick so far though!

whats happening with the bus, slide, and swingset?

Bus..check

Slide...check

swingset..._____

...and what about the downflat down sbox?

okay whats the crackerbarrell? and mini z there is an s box sort of.or was.

Don't worry....it's gone, and let's keep it that way.

u are going to hook me up with a day pass bc u like how i talked???

Are you gonna question someone who's giving you a free pass? Take dat shit homey!

I'd like to see a nice down rail. Like the flat down flat we have, made out of 2x4 rect. tubing. 40 feet or so, with a nice downslope.

I'd like to see a nice down rail. Like the flat down flat we have, made out of 2x4 rect. tubing. 40 feet or so, with a nice downslope.

We already have on that is very close to that, only a little wider. Remember the one that was setup to the right of the gap boxes last year?

The DFD SBox is gonna be recycled. Probablamente a flat down SBox & an Sbox.

We're thinking of taking some of our golden Oldie rails out of retirement.

Suggestions please..

battleship and rainbow rails set up with nice lips on them? that'd be fun. what happened to the c rail? that thing was fun too. ok, one more for now... remember the single barrel that went from the halfpipe deck down into the lower park? bring that back, that setup was way ahead of its time.

battleship and rainbow rails set up with nice lips on them? that'd be fun. what happened to the c rail? that thing was fun too. ok, one more for now... remember the single barrel that went from the halfpipe deck down into the lower park? bring that back, that setup was way ahead of its time.

hi Justin,

you mean the flat step down to flat single barrel?

A couple suggestions:

It seems that people in this area have gotten it into their heads that you can measure the sickness of a jump by running a tape measure from takeoff to landing. But really the measure of a good jump is an airtime:consequence ratio. Instead of building the jumps long, build them up. The actual distance is irrelevant, the airtime followed by a long, steep (read "safe") landing is a truly well made jump.

For a way more interesting and informative explanation of this jump building practice see the DVD "gap session." That is the idea just on a MASSIVE scale, but there's no reason a creative person couldn't bring it down to a pocono scale.

*Also someone said that the wallride is impossible to maintain in a busy park bc people just carve it and the tranny is done in about 5 minutes, and I'm with you. It just aint gonna work. BUT, if you set the wallride up with a more pronounced backward angle (lean it back), then u dont need a vert tranny at all, and it maintains itself.

And finally I think we need to do away with this small features are for noobs and gargantuan ones are for experts idea. Those butter boxes, if set up creatively (ie / \ , but not as steep) can be way more fun than some quad kink rollercoaster S or whatever.

Oh and the hip and turning the bus into a box/wallride sounds good.

Be creative. Peace and sorry for the long post, its been a long summer.

*Also someone said that the wallride is impossible to maintain in a busy park bc people just carve it and the tranny is done in about 5 minutes, and I'm with you. It just aint gonna work. BUT, if you set the wallride up with a more pronounced backward angle (lean it back), then u dont need a vert tranny at all, and it maintains itself.

I agree with that. Its mad steep and say if the lip is rebuilt at night its gone by 10 in the morning the next day.

hi Justin,

you mean the flat step down to flat single barrel?

i completely forgot about that rail! but yeah that rail is super fun too. the one i was talking about may not exist anymore; i think they bent it to make the old long c rail? but this was like, before sidewinder was a park, there was a long rail going from the deck of the halfpipe down into the lower park, the landing was around where the rainbow box was this past winter.

A couple suggestions:

It seems that people in this area have gotten it into their heads that you can measure the sickness of a jump by running a tape measure from takeoff to landing. But really the measure of a good jump is an airtime:consequence ratio. Instead of building the jumps long, build them up. The actual distance is irrelevant, the airtime followed by a long, steep (read "safe") landing is a truly well made jump.

For a way more interesting and informative explanation of this jump building practice see the DVD "gap session." That is the idea just on a MASSIVE scale, but there's no reason a creative person couldn't bring it down to a pocono scale.

And finally I think we need to do away with this small features are for noobs and gargantuan ones are for experts idea. Those butter boxes, if set up creatively (ie / \ , but not as steep) can be way more fun than some quad kink rollercoaster S or whatever.

Oh and the hip and turning the bus into a box/wallride sounds good.

Be creative. Peace and sorry for the long post, its been a long summer.

thats exactly what i would like to see too. i was out at canyons in utah over spring break, and they had 4 jumps in their big park, the longest being about 50 feet, but it was super poppy with a steep landing that you couldnt overshoot. even their shorter stuff that was about 25-30 feet, you had more airtime than anything at blue, and its easier to set for corks and whatnot with a longer smoother lip too. blue's had some stuff with real poppy lips, but the transition wasnt smooth enough, and we all know the landing was never steep enough either. their was an article on newschoolers like last year written by the guy who grooms the jump for the WSI big air or something like that explaining the process he goes through when building jumps, and what he uses, and he mentioned using a winch cat to groom landings was key, and that the angle of the slope of the landing should be about 33 degrees, which i think is kind of steep to groom without using a winch cat?

We already have on that is very close to that, only a little wider. Remember the one that was setup to the right of the gap boxes last year?

now to get it setup a little nicer- last years setup wasn't bad though actually, but setup for the rails is key. Ex- not building a tabletop to throw a rail onto...

i thought he meant like a 2x4 on its side. to where youre sliding the rail on the thinnest part.

in one of L1P's movies someone slides a rail like that. i think it was long story short. frank raymond has a few clips on an urban rail.

no, i didn't mean that, that'd be stupid

what happened to the c rail? that thing was fun too. ok, one more for now... remember the single barrel that went from the halfpipe deck down into the lower park? bring that back, that setup was way ahead of its time.

Yeah, C rail is definitely fun. As for having rails inbetween the deck of the pipe and lower park, isn't it too steep there? But in any case, moving dirt/blowing snow could open a lot of different possibilities.

can you guys join the two butter boxes together? spinnin to win on those things is fun as hell in the lower park, but just one is too short.

Either that, or set them up like at the rail jam, an up to gap to down- that was plenty of fun

Yeah, the really nice wallrides you see in all of the videos are almost at 45 degrees. ...compared to our 80 degrees...

Wait, are you guys saying the DFD that was on skier's left above the bus was too steep to boardslide?

No, they're talking about the sliding board (upflatdownflat) that the last flat section was too aggressive) That DFD was fine

and he mentioned using a winch cat to groom landings was key, and that the angle of the slope of the landing should be about 33 degrees, which i think is kind of steep to groom without using a winch cat?

I'm not up on my equipment, does Blue have a winch cat?

Nope, and they need one terribly. I was riding with danny last year and the one thing he said that they need the most to keep challenge/razors in tip top shape was a winch cat, which they dont' have...