$400 Million Development

skidude

400 million isnt that big of a deal if the houses are in the 1-2 mill anyway

oh 400 mill for the houses, hotel, conference unit stuff, everything? that seems kinda normal i guess.

400 million for a state run ski area seems like a pretty big deal to me. Its not a huge ski area, or one that has massive skier visits.

We'll see what happens

Remember, Belleayre isn't Vale, or Stratton, or Aspen, the land around it really isn't worth that much, so they are going to have a very hard time building houses that people are going to drop ehh I'm gonna say 500,000+ on.

guess my area is way different. we got a few 1/4 acre houses selling in the 1.5's

the houses around me went up 200% in value in just 4 years.

I don't doubt there are a few, but not that many of them.

To give you an idea of how much $400 million is...you could buy:

Killington about 4.7 times (85.2 million)

Camelback about 8.3 times (48ish million)

The canyons about 4 times (probably going to be sold for 100-110 million)...

All for a little state run ski area.

Should be great for bell if they actually go threw with it.

Yeah but the houses going up near Belleayre are going to be 2nd homes..the 1.5 million dollar homes in your area are primary residences for NY/NJ commuters and are you sure they're only on 1/4 acre? That's an awfully small lot for such a big house. For 1.5 million in the Lehigh Valley you can get alot..

Yeah, maybe like a 1/2 acre. They are all mcmansions with next to no yard.

So much for nice little secret Belleayre...a $40mil project would be huge for that area, let alone 10x that...I wonder if they plan on reopening the slopes of the defunct ski area next to it? One of the ASRA guys I've known for a long time (he's 60 something) used to tell me the story about how his dad helped cut the original trails. Belleayre has long been one of those weird places for an overnight trip, where you stay at a seedy place like the Delaware Court Motel or take your chances with a B&B, where you have to be nice to some old lady with too many cats.

I think Doug and Jeffy spent a night spooning in one of those places :sex

some more detailed info....

This was posted in the Belleayre cult but I thought I would share it in this forum.

September 5, 2007

State and Developer Finish Deal for Resort in Catskills

By ANTHONY DePALMA

After a seven-year legal and political battle over the fate of some of the most environmentally sensitive land in New York State, Gov. Eliot Spitzer is expected to announce an agreement today to allow an upstate entrepreneur to build a resort with two hotels, a golf course and 259 residences within 20 miles of two of New York City

The people from the Catskills should send NYC Mayor Bloomberg a pamphlet for salt water purification with the message that Manhattanites can go bite themselves.

Development is a good thing. All these tree huggers woried about thier precious streams. Will they care when they can find a higher paying job because of the new development, instead of working at some rinky dink gas station near Belleayre?

It's like the private race track they're building not too far from Blue Mountain. People are worried about the adverse affects that driving around a track might have on the environment. But driving around on normal roads doesn't do anything to the enviroment.

Just the idea of maintaining the pure watershed in the Catskills to provide water service to Manhattan while Manhattan exports its garbage into PA landfills is pretty f'd up. I say let 'em go thirsty.

I bet most of them drink bottled water anyway, they wouldn't notice a thing. :banghead