Magne-Traction and board size

Timeless

A question to any of you that have actually ridden an MTX equipped board, does the extra edge hold mean you can ride a shorter effective edge? How are they in terms of weight range for a given size? As lib tech don't specifiy weight ranges for their boards it's difficult to guage the right size without a demo. I currently have a 164 ride timeless (for faster "all mountain" stuff with my friends who are mostly skiers) and a 158.5 M3 discord which was my starter board but I still use as a rock board. Neither of these seem to stiff or soft for my 190-195lb's (5'11").

I don't ride much park (some jumps but no rails etc) and don't intend to do so anytime soon so this is not a consideration, I'm looking for a smaller "freeride" board as I'm starting to feel the Timeless is a little long as I get more adventurous off of natural features and in trees, moguls etc.

Any thoughts or opinions welcome,

A question to any of you that have actually ridden an MTX equipped board, does the extra edge hold mean you can ride a shorter effective edge?

I haven't ridden a mange board but I can answer your questionl. A shorter effective edge will always provide more grip (maybe not noticeable) because there is more weight per length of edge on the snow. Thats the whole point of the magne traction, reduce the effective edge on the snow so what edge is there bites more. Usually the shorter a board is, the softer the flex will get. I'm pretty sure Lib-tech made their magne boards to ride similar to other boards in those size ranges. So if you like your 164, then you probably want something in that range. Or if the 158 is better there. Same stuff as usual, longer boards are nice in powder, stiffer boards are nice for stomping big jumps and for carving hard. Sorry I don't have any first hand experience. Pyro boarder has a mange board and DH has ridden them. If you don't get responses here you should PM either of them.

Okay on top of what glenn said about magne the other point is to add to the contact points along the edge using the "serrated edge" means you have I believe seven contact points along your edge as opposed to two so when you're turning or stopping on ice you have a more positive edge hold; now I've ridden both the skate banana, the TRS, the danny kass, the riders choice and the darkseries. For what kind of riding you're describing I would recommend either the TRS or maybe the Riders Choice, kind of along the same lines but IMO lib-tech despite being made by the same parent company (mervin mfg.) they are of better quality. Lastly I don't really know where you stand on a banana rocker board but if you're neutral or open to the idea look into a TRS with banana (includes magne) or wait until the 08/09 season when just about every board from lib and gnu will have it, also next year you'll see a bean based plastic top sheet. (eco friendly)

Okay on top of what glenn said about magne the other point is to add to the contact points along the edge using the "serrated edge" means you have I believe seven contact points along your edge as opposed to two so when you're turning or stopping on ice you have a more positive edge hold; now I've ridden both the skate banana, the TRS, the danny kass, the riders choice and the darkseries. For what kind of riding you're describing I would recommend either the TRS or maybe the Riders Choice, kind of along the same lines but IMO lib-tech despite being made by the same parent company (mervin mfg.) they are of better quality. Lastly I don't really know where you stand on a banana rocker board but if you're neutral or open to the idea look into a TRS with banana (includes magne) or wait until the 08/09 season when just about every board from lib and gnu will have it, also next year you'll see a bean based plastic top sheet. (eco friendly)

I'm actually really interested in trying the banana thing, but I'm not sure the Skate 'nana is the right board for me. I'd jump at a TRS in a second, but can't find one (with BT).

I'm currently looking at 3 options:

1) get a 159 skate banana just to check out the ideas (MTX and BT)

2) get a TRS or Dark Series without BT just 'cos they're great boards

3) get a Cygnus X1 and run the risk of blowing an obscene amount on a board if the BT idea doesn't work for me.

I'm actually really interested in trying the banana thing, but I'm not sure the Skate 'nana is the right board for me. I'd jump at a TRS in a second, but can't find one (with BT).

I'm currently looking at 3 options:

1) get a 159 skate banana just to check out the ideas (MTX and BT)

2) get a TRS or Dark Series without BT just 'cos they're great boards

3) get a Cygnus X1 and run the risk of blowing an obscene amount on a board if the BT idea doesn't work for me.

I would say stick to your current size, you will get more grip but like they said above, a smaller board will flex too much. Besides size is only a problem with a heavy board. My 159 Altered Genetics is lighter than my 153 Burton Jeremy Jones by a really noticeable margin, I can spin the 159 as well as the 153, and on the lift you feel the 159 much less, and it pops way harder. I would have to say while expensive I can't think of a board better than a MTX Altered Genetics. Lib Tech is "going bannanas" next year (their words not mine), almost every board will be getting bannanaed, lots of good feedback. i've also never heard bad feedback from people riding MTX. Literally, no one has ever told me they where un happy with it and we sell the whole line every year. The only boards that I want are bannana and/or MTX, (and the Rome Mod that thing is LIGHT), you can't go wrong.