2-13-2007 Night sSession trip report.

Glenn

I normally don't do these, for a variety of reasons but today was really great so I thought I would share a little.

I left stroudsburg at about 7, just when the roads were starting to get bad. This is a fairly typically time for me to leave and head off to the mountain. Late night session are great because you never have to wait for a chair, and most of the people there either stick to the easy trails or can really ride well. The ride up wasn't too bad, My outback has great handling in the snow, so most of my attention on the road is spent on keeping the other people from hitting me rather than worrying about loosing control myself. Keeping a resonable speed helps as well.

When I arrived tons of people were leaving, so I was hoping they didn't close... a guy in the parking lot assured me they hadn't. I rode alone because most of my friends decided to get drunk tonight, since there probably won't be classes tomorrow. The primary condition was powder and the secondary was packed pow and a bit of hard pack in spots. The hardpack wasn't an issue at all, because there was so much powder around anyways.

The whole mountain was tracked up enough that I didn't get a run where I was on totally silk smooth virgin powder, but with how fast it was coming down, I usually had a good layer of snow between me and the last track that came through. There were tons of piles all over that were totally untouched. I spent the night on my free ride board trying my best to make some decent turns on the blacks. Even though it was just the sullivan open this could have easily been the best day of the year for me. I thanked a couple of the lifties for working during the storm (the roads were pretty bad), they appreciated the recognition.

If all goes well I'm headed to Elk tomorrow morning EARLY in the AM. I'm hoping for more of the same there!

Re the Stevenson : Does anyone know if they stacked the chairs since there was an indication of sleet and freezing rain in the forecast. That would make sense and necessitate the early closure.

Back up next week!! :D

Re the Stevenson : Does anyone know if they stacked the chairs since there was an indication of sleet and freezing rain in the forecast. That would make sense and necessitate the early closure.

Thats exactly why the closed it, They had to take the chairs off.

They closed it earlier at 5:00PM because most of the school groups cancelled polus ski patrol needed to remove netting...freezing rain in Strodsburg right now..

Wrong. See above.

Wrong. See above.

That info came from 911, a CB employee too.

I suspect it was a comination of the two, with so little traffic it was easier to take the lift down and clear the trails of people and netting while it was still light and not snowing heavily.