RT Report 2/23

volklyokel

The weather was perfect with the exception of some chilly winds in the AM. Arrived about 9:15, after a Minuteman run, dropped down Susquehanna for at least an hour of repeatedly running Ramrod. The "loose snow" was mostly a granular sugar, 1-2 mm in diameter. Not quite major corn, but like ball bearings, especially with the hard pack underneath. I must've made a dozen runs down Ramrod, trying it from every angle. A few years ago, that run used to give me a loose sphincter - no longer; I run a tight line nowdays. The top of Gunpowder still loosens me up, though. Patrol had that top part of Gunpowder ribboned off for most of the morning.

Here's a pretty decent shot of a happy K2 rider coming down Ramrod today. You can see the conditions fairly well. There were mini chunks about a cm or two in diameter too, but they were "friendly."

large.jpg

Bluebird all the way. And the temps stayed at or slightly below freezing until I left (at 2:30). I made about four runs, each, down Susquehanna, Barret's Trail and Lafayette's Leap. Conditions were the same everywhere, with the exception of Minuteman, parts of which actually got a little icy at the top after the loose stuff got scraped off. I'll bet the Friday night crowd is having a bitch of a time on it! I saw good tumbles by folks on almost every run. And there were some hot boarders, carving some beautiful arcs and touching the snow. The parks are in tip-top shape too.

RT hopes to blow snow tonight. That will really help with weekend conditions. It should be back to packed powder for the weekend hounds. Enjoy a snow day.