Now I understand what you mean about Camelback

I headed to Shawnee today and did about three hours riding with the wife. After that she had to head back home to take care of some things so I decided to try out Camelback. Now I understand what you guys mean about it being icy. The difference was night and day between the snow and Shawnee and Camelback.

For the entire time at Shawnee i was nailing my toe turns and getting daring and even hitting jumps. There was a decent amount of snow to play on. When I got to Camelback i did some turns but stayed in leaf much of the time. It was so damn icy I just didnt feel confident with my newly found turning skills.

So far I have done Shawnee 4 times, Boulder 4 times and Camelback once. By far, the worst conditions were at Camelback.

It really was like night and day.

In Camelbacks defense, it was a night skiing session and a Friday night at that and the first Camelback night session of the year. It's the poconos, learn to ride icy sugary snow. Then your confidence will be greater.. be an all conditions rider...skiing good conditions all the time is boring and makes me complacent..wait to you ride windslab or breakable crust..then the ice at Camelback will seem like packed Poe..Holla

It was like 3 in the afternoon until 5 so i guess broaching on night. Icy snow is ok, but this more like and Ice Cube. Some of the trails had very little cover. But yes, I will learn to ride on everything it does make a better rider. I just cant believe the disparity in conditions.

In comparison, I did several weekend night sessions at Boulder and while there was defintely ice, it wasnt like riding down a solid block of ice

It was like 3 in the afternoon until 5 so i guess broaching on night. Icy snow is ok, but this more like and Ice Cube. Some of the trails had very little cover. But yes, I will learn to ride on everything it does make a better rider. I just cant believe the disparity in conditions.

In comparison, I did several weekend night sessions at Boulder and while there was defintely ice, it wasnt like riding down a solid block of ice

As a matter of fact. The first turn I ever linked was at Boulder at about 6:30 - 7:00 on a Saturday night a few weeks ago.

TN, I have no idea what the exact factors are. I will say that in general I like the snow at CB over that at Shawnee, but not quite as much as Boulder.

Night skiing/riding is a big killer of conditions and things start getting bad right around 4, so it's not surprising you didn't like the conditions. The biggest killer for good conditions though is skier traffic. On days with favorable temperatures (either stays really cold with good snow, or stays above freezing) the traffic just creates mounds of snow, and rollers. On days with bad conditions you get ice, and sometimes mounds of snow and rollers.

I've had my issues with CB, and they certainly have their bad nights with conditions, but I'd say in general the conditions at CB are pretty good for the area.

riding camelbacks conditions toughens you up in all honesty. You can basically take on anything after it lol. Ice jumps at cb help u later on when u actually go to say boulder and hit nice jumps. it gives you a lot more confidence , especially since you wont break your asshole when you fall.

The night ice is completely based on the day temperature and sun that day. If you go on a night where it was 20 all day, cloudy, with no wind, night riding will be fine. Go on a night when it was 40 during the day with sun, then at night it gets to 20 and its windy, forget it. The snow gets soft/wet during the day, freezes at night, bam ice. I wouldn't compare night conditions at different places they are invariably difficult. But basically, stay on the trails and learn how to deal with ice. You will be much better for it.