Sno report - Sunday 1/25

krzyroone

I typically just browse the forum but I had to comment on my experience at Sno yesterday.

I was planning on heading to Elk but woke up later than I wanted to. This was my third time there this year. The previous two times I got there early and the snow was better than I had ever remembered it (without a storm involved) and I've been skiing this mountain for almost 20 years. Also, I've been amazed at how few people there are in the mornings. I typically feel like I have the whole mountain to myself. Nobody on the mountain in front or behind me, nobody on the lifts.

Yesterday: First thing that stood out - I wasn't on a run yesterday where they weren't blowing snow. It was certainly cold enough but I didn't hit a single patch of ice, not one. Boomer was a lot of fun, plenty of powder and some bumps on the far side. I saw most of the people that were there (and it wasn't that many) heading for either Boomer or White Lightning, which was pretty bumpy as well. Smoke was abandoned. Again, plenty of powder and fun. The only issue I have with their trails are, I am always wishing they were a little longer.

With that in mind, I hit up upper (blue) and lower fast track (single black). I am telling you...WHAT A RUN that is. I haven't had so much fun skiing in years. The powder on upper fast track was amazing. No lines at all, my skis would be lost in the snow and since it isn't all that steep, I would definitely slow almost to a halt. Real powder skiing! I am not kidding, the amount of snow that was untouched made me feel like I was skiing in Alaska or something (minus the vertical of course). Amazing.

Lower fast track was nearly as good. A bit faster and more people but my favorite run of the day (with upper fast track), without question. What a dream those two trails were.

I don't get in anymore like I used to but when I do again I am headed there. My only wish is that the runs could be a bit longer but that is asking for alot in PA. Management is doing the right thing by over blowing. Like I said, I have been skiing there for 20 years and I can't recall the snow being any better than it has been this year. Great experience. Happy I was there instead of Elk.

Edited by krzyroone