2/15/09 TR

Melissa

Well, one of my friends rented skis this season with the intent to learn how to ski. She has yet to go out, and she was up visiting, and she wanted to ski here. So, I told her that I'd teach her (and/or she could get a lesson if she wanted).

We went over to the bunny hill and I showed her how to click in and out of her skis. I then showed her how to move around on the flat by skating, etc. Then I showed her how to sidestep up the bunny hill (we only went like 20-30 feet up) and explained to her the purpose of the skis' edges. Okay, so now time to explain wedging/pizza pie/snow plow/whatever you want to call it. Unfortunately, my friend just could not wedge. It was incredibly frustrating, and I kept on asking her if I was conveying to her what she needed to do, and she reassured me that I had, she just couldn't do it. Obviously, if you can't wedge, you can't ski down anything, as I'll not not be responsible for an out-of-control skiier who cannot stop. Needless to say, we spent about 2 hours sidestepping up the bunny hill. Very unexciting. After that we quit and went drinking in the bar, which was hopping with a really cool band.

At one point, she wanted to take a break, so I took one run down Cannonball. Mountain was more crowded than usual, but the only liftline that I saw was for the bunny hill. Snow conditions were softer packed powder. It was sunny out and felt warmer, probably in the upper 30s, but the snow was in good condition and not slushy. Perhaps it would be best described as hero snow b/c it's very easy to carve in.

All in all, I am happy that I am not a ski instructor.