2/22/09

boardin_nerd

The long steep and windy road to the top was quite fun, as we slidd around the corners on about 2 inches of snow. Once getting to the top, and getting all my stuff together in the very small, very crowded lodge, i headed out. My hopes were relitively high, since i read they had about eight inches of REAL snow the day or so before. Well as i strapped in on the extremely windy summit i started my uncharted run down. (there were no trail maps anywhere on the mountain.)

I suddenly realized this fresh pow pow i had been expecting was not there.. In fact i was surprised to find there wasn't even some nice groomers or man made snow. The fact was, it was one solid sheet of hardpacked snow (the kind that you can't even carve a rut into, and was very frustrating the first many turns i took) Not only was it EXTREMELY hardpacked, but everywhere i turned there was large SHEETS of solid ice that i would have to flat base it across, or my butt would pay the consequences.

There was about an inch or two of granular snow on the top at some parts.. and some parts at the very very side you could find a secret pow stash (a whopping 3 inches, wooo!)

Since i was unfermiliar with the mountain i couldn't go fast down any of the trails, I couldn't tell where any of this non edge holding hardpack showed up (which was 80 percent of the mountain) and i didn't wanna be flying down and then not be able to regain control after i merge into a smaller trail.

However, there was quite a few little "rollers" that were very steep, and very short that were all over the place and you could pop all sorts of 1's and 3's all the way down the trail, which was probably the best part of the whole mountain.

The Stambogen (sp?) bowl was very dissapointing, it had a very thin cover all over it, which parts of solid grass, and hay type stuff sticking up alll over.. (this is the end of february right?) Well they had one part at the verrry end covered with snow, and then the windy trial leading to the bottom seemed like it would be alot of fun, if it wasn't all scrapped off ice that made the turns very annoying.

The Glades looked like soo much fun! too bad they were mostly all closed,, and most of them didn't have enough snow cover for me to risk getting by without some major core shots anyway...

The park had a few rails that looked like man made welded together jackked up skate rails.. with massive gaps onto, and whoever made the lips had no idea what they were doing.

The only jump was this tiny little sideways spine... no kicker or down ramp really.. halfway through the day some locals grabbed some shuvels and with the help of there snowboards made a little kicker, so it turned into an actually pretty nice very small 10 foot step over. I spent a good part of the day just hiking that with a few of the kids there.. It wasn't a bad little jump, considering it was made with shovels and snowboards rather then a groomer...

anyways.. too sum it up... it seems like the mountain has AWESOME potential.. if the groomer actually gave a **** about his job, and helped the park crew out and actually tilled up the freaking trails...

The lift attendents and and ski patrol were VERY nice (excluding the fact that they skied right by this little girl who just slammed straight into a shed, dispite our waving and screaming)

and i also saw a guy who looked exactly like GSS.....

overall, it wasn't a bad day.. it was sorta fun... but i was extremely dissapointed...