Jay Peak advice

Luke

I'm thinking about going to Jay Thursday (3/30) till Sunday (4/3). I have never been there. Anyone have any insight/hints about the place? Conditions (seems nice from the web site)? Terrain? Different mountain? and etc. Also which option should I go with? I'm leaning towards 2 as I'll have my car up there and the guy said Jay Village Inn has nicer rooms.

Here's what I came up with so far for two people:

Option 1

Lodging ticket breakfest dinner $100/night per person Base of mountain

Check-in 4pm Check-out 11pm

Option 2

Jay Village Inn 802 988 2306 Matt Bathroom cable tv stayatjay.com 3-4 miles from lifts

$60 (thr) $90 (fri + sat) per room 1 double bed

Check-in 2pm Check-out 11am (very flexible with check-out)

Lodging

$240 lodging total for Jay Village Inn

Lift

$35/ticket two day lift tickets (college student discount)

Milage/Distance/Time (at 70mph)

Route A

130 Wilm to Poconos approx 2 hrs

417 Poconos to Jay approx 6 hrs

Route B

509 Wilm to Jay approx 8 hrs

1.5 to 2 tanks ~ $80

Food ~ $100

Total:

Option 1 = $100*3*2+$80=$680

~$340 per person

Option 2 = $240+($35*4)+$80+$100=$560

~$280 per person

Edited by Luke

Cool. Thanks. I can handle anything at the mountains around here switch with no problem at all, I don't think I should have that much of a problem riding up there. The reason I was gonna go through poconos is because I have a house up there to stay at. This way I figure I'd drive up the Poconos Wensday night, stay over night and leave for Jay in the morning. Not sure if that's what I'll do but maybe...

I'll definitelly take pictures and write about my visit if I end up going. I am just hoping that they'll get more snow next week and that it stays cold.

Edited by Luke

I was just riding at Jay Peak on 3/24, 3/26, and 3/27. They still have plenty of snow and their glades/off trail riding is purely amazing. I went to stowe on 3/25/06 which also has a ton of snow and a great time although it is a much more crowded tourist trap where as Jay Peak seems to be much less known and have much less of a crowd. I can't recall waiting more than 1 min to get on any lift at Jay other than the Tram to the top which holds 60 people and they only have 2 cars on it. I would not get on the Tram line unless your there at open you might as well jump on or towards closing.

I found quite a few secret spots at jay that lots of snow off the trails blow into and dosn't get hit by much sun that and I'll share one with you. Take the quad to the right of the tram when your facing up the mountain to the top and go striaght when you get off and go down the trail "Ullr's Dream" almost immediately when you are on that trail cut right off the trail and into the woods you'll find yourself in waist deep powder after you get down into it cut left through the trees and you'll end up standing on top of burried trees looking down over a horizontal trail below. Take the drop onto the trail and cut down into the woods again for more powder to the bottom. ^_^ Enjoy.