Board Advice for pre-teen

Timeless

My daughter will soon need a new board and she now falls into the range of either larger kid's boards or smaller womens boards (she's 11, 80lb's not sure how tall but a 138 board comes to the tip of her nose, size 5 boots).

I want to get her the best fit for her riding (she's now 3rd season (30 days?) and very competent), but I'm concerned that a 138-141 womens board will be too stiff, long or heavy for her. The specified weight ranges on something like a Ride Vista is like 70-130lbs. On the other hand I dont want to buy another "kids" board and find she's over-powering it.

Any small people out there riding bigger boards?

Any recommendations?

She falls into the weight range for the vista, and she's bound to grow. I'd take that route. For snowboards weight is a bigger factor than height, unless of course she can't comfortably fit into the stance width provided, but I don't think that will be an issue.

Of course if you can demo her on some different boards you will have a better idea, but I would shoot for the largest board she feels comfortable on.

It's been my impression that both womens boards and youth equipment "babies" the riders and really makes it hard to pick a bad board, unless you want a ton of performance.

im 16 and im 5'4" 110 lbs....come might say im small

anyways for the last 3 years iv been riding a forum 135(i forget the actually board tho) but i kno its a kids board

this year im switching to a mens board, but i must say the kids board was real nice...i dont think i really helped at all, but i dont think u can go wrong either way

just doont make the mistake i see some parents doing and buying a gigantic board saying "shell grow into it" ior "it has growing room" or whatever....shell hate u for it...get her the board that fits her right now

im 16 and im 5'4" 110 lbs....come might say im small

anyways for the last 3 years iv been riding a forum 135(i forget the actually board tho) but i kno its a kids board

this year im switching to a mens board, but i must say the kids board was real nice...i dont think i really helped at all, but i dont think u can go wrong either way

just doont make the mistake i see some parents doing and buying a gigantic board saying "shell grow into it" ior "it has growing room" or whatever....shell hate u for it...get her the board that fits her right now

weighing 110 lbs, your board was 10 or more cm too short

timeless, your best bet would be sticking with a kids board on account of how light your daughter is, i'd say 130-135

avoid the rome blue. Great board, but not for your daughter is a stiff riding board.

K2 Luna, Ride Vista (same board really), Rome Vinyl, Burton Feather are good boards. Get the smallest size or the one closest to her size. Kids boards really aren't a good option if she is proficient, and a decent board will last. Agreed don't 'oversize' it because she will grow 'eventually'. Eventually is a long way away and you don't want to make things to big and make it difficult to ride because that burns up enthusiasm.

Forumyoungblood, there is no reason to go into a mens board. I see this mistake a lot based on old perceptions of womens boards being inferior, but really there is no reason to go unless you have a really large foot. Mens boards are much wider and you won't like the feel going edge to edge on it, it would be like a guy going to a wide board. For comparison i have a size 12.5 foot and i'd rather cram my foot into a smaller boot and put on risers if need be than get a wide board because wide boards just aren't maneuverable. Don't take an SUV out and expect it to be a sports car.

If you want a higher end womens board the K2 Mix is really solid, as is the Rome Blue. Arbor makes great womens boards as well, but i would take them in that order. I don't know any women riding the Barret Christy Pro by GNU but it supposedly good as well. I know people riding the first three and I believe them because they are all good women riders.

Forumyoungblood, there is no reason to go into a mens board. I see this mistake a lot based on old perceptions of womens boards being inferior, but really there is no reason to go unless you have a really large foot. Mens boards are much wider and you won't like the feel going edge to edge on it, it would be like a guy going to a wide board. For comparison i have a size 12.5 foot and i'd rather cram my foot into a smaller boot and put on risers if need be than get a wide board because wide boards just aren't maneuverable. Don't take an SUV out and expect it to be a sports car.

what? im a guy

OK, so to summarise:

Buy smaller adult board

Buy a larger kids board

Buy a cheap board (no adult / kids choice) because she'll outgrow it in a year.

Thanks for the input anyway, especially ForumYoungblood, as someone who's been riding a "too short" board for some time.

The differences of opinion just about reflects my though process at the moment but as Glenn said I probably cant go too wrong with the quality of gear nowadays.

Has anyone ever ridden a board that was too big for them? To the extent that they couldn't turn it or flex it properly?

Has anyone ever ridden a board that was too big for them? To the extent that they couldn't turn it or flex it properly?

I rode my brothers 168 (I think thats what it is) and he has this aggressive free riding stance setup. So riding normal (for the board, switch for me) was fine, but it was a bear to get that thing to turn when I was riding switch (for the board, this was a goofy stance which I'm used to). Basically it required more work, and I certainly wouldn't want to get myself in any hairy situations. It still felt better than riding a rental setup though... if that means anything.

Which is basically how I came up with my conclusion earlier, get the biggest board she is going to be comfortable riding (most likely any rec. board where she falls into the weight bracket). I didn't fall into the weight range for that board, and it took combined effort of a huge board, and a weird stance for it to get sketchy.

Unless she is riding a lot of park, there is no reason to be on an undersized board.