JF 1-4-07

bigdaddyk

Well, I pulled into JF at 8:45 today and it was 40 degrees and it didn't appear that there was any snowmaking. The snow was nice and soft and groomed over nicely. I had first tracks down Challenge and East Mt. Half way down Challenge, I was really surprised. They had made snow on the lower quarter of the mountain and when you hit that part, it was like hitting an open refrigerator. All of the cold air lowered toward the base of the moutain. The freshly blown snow was nice. I checked my thermometer and it was 8 degrees colder at the bottom, than at the top. Coming off of River Shot's last head wall was also like going into an ice box. This is the first time I can remember such a temperature difference on the mountain, in the three years that I have gone to JF. Too bad the whole mountain couldn't have chilled down to blow snow. Overall, the open trails were in extremely good shape.

Edited by bigdaddyk

what time did you leave today? i left right around 1 and that snow at the bottom was weird, it seemed sticky, i was rollin along ripping and then all of the sudden it was like i slammed the brakes on i actually went over the bars on 2 runs i felt like a noob i was wondering if i was the only one to encounter the stickyness of the snow.

what time did you leave today? i left right around 1 and that snow at the bottom was weird, it seemed sticky, i was rollin along ripping and then all of the sudden it was like i slammed the brakes on i actually went over the bars on 2 runs i felt like a noob i was wondering if i was the only one to encounter the stickyness of the snow.

I left around 11:30. Did you hit it your first time down? Where did you have problems...Challenge or the bottom of east mt. I saw they blew, on my first time down Challenge and stayed off of the right side, where the groomer didn't hit. After that, I actually started going down the right side, but took my time and pushed through the fresh snow. When I was there, I didn't have any problems on east mt. I actually got a few fast runs in, after testing the snow to see if it was too sticky. I saw a few people on the ground on the right side of Challenge. I assumed that they hit the ungroomed fresh snow by surprise.