Trip Report for 2/12/2007

volklyokel

Wow. The forum for Whitetail hasn't had any action since my last trip there, a little more than a year ago! Again, I can't help but say how boring most of the blue runs are at Whitetail. Constant pitch for 950 feet of drop. You'll get your exercise, but there just isn't anything to catch your interest. Again, I ran everything but the bumps of Exhibition. The bumps looked weird too, really elongated, but I enjoyed watching people of various abilities make their way down as I rode up, in comfort, on the lift.

The snow was strange at Whitetail. A little hard packed and icy on the southernmost blue runs; chunky powder on Angel Drop; and the best version of packed powder on the black runs, notably Drop In, Far Side and Bold Decision. I made four runs each on Far Side and Bold Decision, those being my favorite runs at Whitetail, and basically two runs everywhere else. The best thing about Whitetail is the high-speed lift. You can get some good vert because of that lift. But you'll be bored to tears with the lack of variable pitch. But, as I said last year, its what Mother Nature made on Two Top Mountain.

Here are the Photos:

A mob scene at the top of Limelight in the morning.

Someone heading over the crest of Bold Decision.

Skiers heading down the steep of Bold Decision.

A nice action shot of someone boogying down Angel Drop.

A composite of three photos of the Expert's Choice Lift base area.

More detailed captions are found on each gallery page.

Now, for Doug's benefit, my dining experience! I had dinner tonight in Bedford, PA. I highly recommend Ed's Rib Steak at Ed's Steak House, right at the corner where you can catch I-99 on Business US 220. Baked potato, dish of Apple Sauce and a couple of Rolling Rocks just are perfect for that Central PA cuisine! I know I'll go faster down hill tomorrow! Cheers!