adrock, please read

Seymour

Foremost, I am upset with Shawnee's park because as Keith had shown us last year, it can be much better. I have compiled a list of everything currently wrong with the main park with possible solutions.

1. The pipe. Your have more than enough snow piled in there.

Solution:Spend the few hours cutting it

2. The Jumps have no lips whatsoever. We have kickers that would be found on top of 70ft step downs, which is funny cause we're barely pushing 20ft.

Solution: make you park crew do their job. I rarely see maintenance, and when I do, they aren't even building anything right.

3.The Landings are terrible. I know there is nothing you can do about rutting but the landings aren't good in the beginning of the day either. The second jump landing actually hurts the knees the land in the sweet spot.

Solution: Knuckles. Add knuckles. This allows for a steeper and safer landing, which ultimately decrease the number of spills taken by riders.

4. The wallride...What were you thinking? Now that you put plexi on it all the more reason to face it upright. Its way too short to have it like it is.

Solution: Put it on the the third table next to or instead of the hideous spectacle of a jump, upright.

5. Stairs. You did not buy the stairs to be ridden over. That's more dangerous than hitting the rails. Also the lip onto the handrail is massive. Handrails are the definition of street style features. Have the lip reflect that. The stairs are also covered in snow.

Solution: Place a sign next to the up box saying not to ride down them. Throw it some maintenance and they are good.

6. Down-flat-down The lip is rounded. It looks like its never been shaped, ever.

Solution: Again, maintenance.

7. Dual Layer box. Screws and plates of plexi stick up. Lip is non existent.

Solution: Stop with the budget plexi. You need one solid sheet on lexan with countersinks for the screws. Slides better and a very low expansion coefficient. +Maintenance

8. Flat-down-flat. Ewww. It is the most crooked rail i have ever hit.

Solution: Reset

9. Last but definately not least, Overall maintenance. You fix everything for contests to create the illusion that we have a good park, then let everything dwindle until the next contest.

Solution: I'll work for free.

Edited by Seymour

Foremost, I am upset with Shawnee's park because as Keith had shown us last year, it can be much better. I have compiled a list of everything currently wrong with the main park with possible solutions.

1. The pipe. Your have more than enough snow piled in there.

Solution:Spend the few hours cutting it

2. The Jumps have no lips whatsoever. We have kickers that would be found on top of 70ft step downs, which is funny cause we're barely pushing 20ft.

Solution: make you park crew do their job. I rarely see maintenance, and when I do, they aren't even building anything right.

3.The Landings are terrible. I know there is nothing you can do about rutting but the landings aren't good in the beginning of the day either. The second jump landing actually hurts the knees the land in the sweet spot.

Solution: Knuckles. Add knuckles. This allows for a steeper and safer landing, which ultimately decrease the number of spills taken by riders.

4. The wallride...What were you thinking? Now that you put plexi on it all the more reason to face it upright. Its way too short to have it like it is.

Solution: Put it on the the third table next to or instead of the hideous spectacle of a jump, upright.

5. Stairs. You did not buy the stairs to be ridden over. That's more dangerous than hitting the rails. Also the lip onto the handrail is massive. Handrails are the definition of street style features. Have the lip reflect that. The stairs are also covered in snow.

Solution: Place a sign next to the up box saying not to ride down them. Throw it some maintenance and they are good.

6. Down-flat-down The lip is rounded. It looks like its never been shaped, ever.

Solution: Again, maintenance.

7. Dual Layer box. Screws and plates of plexi stick up. Lip is non existent.

Solution: Stop with the budget plexi. You need one solid sheet on lexan with countersinks for the screws. Slides better and a very low expansion coefficient. +Maintenance

8. Flat-down-flat. Ewww. It is the most crooked rail i have ever hit.

Solution: Reset

9. Last but definately not least, Overall maintenance. You fix everything for contests to create the illusion that we have a good park, then let everything dwindle until the next contest.

Solution: I'll work for free.

[/quote

Seymour, I will try and answer your questions as best I can.

1. As far as the pipe, that is not really my call. I will bring this issue up to our upper management who makes the decisions about where and what we are going to spend time doing.

2. The jump lips and landings do need a little more work, especially after the storm we received this week.

3. We wanted to try a something a little different with the wallride. I am sorry you didn't like it, but we had a lot of people actually tell us that they did like it.

4. Stairs. I really doubt a sign would work here. We have park crew try and tell kids not to ride over the stairs and most just disregard the message and usually curse at them as they ride over the stairs. It is very frustrating for the person fixing the lip to have hundreds of people ski right over what was just fixed. This is why we built the lip up a little higher, so it would take more abuse.

5. D-F-D - You're right, lip is rounded, it needs to be shaved.

6. Dual Layer Box. That is lexan- purchased at $200 for a 4x8 sheet- not exactly budget plexi. The biggest lexan is made is a 4x8 sheet so there are going to be seems. The screws are countersunk, but after constantly being hit they do sometimes work their way up. The boxes with the plastic have been a maintenance nightmare since we purchased them. That is why we are now changing over our inventory to the wide steel tops that we have this year.

7. F-D-F- You're right. We will reset it.

8. If you want a job please come fill out an applicaiton. In the past two weeks we have lost both of our full-time day crew members.

Thanks for your prompt response. I know how low your budget for the park is and I know your doing the best you can. No lexan, I understand. Wallride I can understand that aswell, different strokes etc. About the lexan though, i feel you are being ripped off and it must com it other sizes. I want to know how creek was able to have a 40ft flat box covered in lexan in a single sheet but it only comes in 4x8.

But I really appreciate your openess to suggestion. Just one thing I forgot to mention, consider moving the flat rail. It makes the jump line impossible.

Yeah - what is ironic is the Billboards that say "Come up for Air" someone dropped the ball in replacing Keith or something else really changed. We were there on Saturday.

The park groomer richie didn't come back this year either.

Well the bulletproof really has nothing to do with it. Kevlar is bullet proof but I can cut it with a sailing knife and it is banned from being on most racing sail boats because they used it for rope and it was too brittle in the sun. A bullet is a point load, durability has a lot to do with hardness. What we're doing is slapping an extremely light load (a few hundred pounds including acceleration spread out over the surface area of a snowboard is nothing) onto a plastic/metal box. The key factor is coefficient of kinetic friction and hardness so that the edge doesn't catch if you land a little crooked. Thats why they're making snowboards with bronze edges for jibbing - less hardness so it doesn't bite in on the way down. Thats why you can't slide an aluminum handrail. And thats why a lot of people use UHMW on the top of the boxes - it is really expensive but it has a better coefficient of friction than lexan and a higher hardness.

I personally prefer the all steel tops to UHMW and steel copping - metal slides so much better.

After working up here with the Killington parks, I want my old job back lol... basically one year under the belt with two more to go.

Adam hears your thoughts guys, and if he lost two full time guys its really hard to maintain a park with a single guy... damn near impossible when your trying to run a whole resort. Please make sure you keep your thoughts and opinions respectful and place your input on everything, the best thing a park a manager has is the input of the public. We build for you! As for the pipe... I would like my old job back in a few years, so no comment haha :sprint:halo

Hey parkbuilder - whats the word on the street up there about Killington being sold?

And I'm assuming you say you liked Shawnee better because you had a hell of a lot more control over it - I remember going end of the season (last weekend maybe?) last year and having so much fun in that park despite how fast the snow was melting, you had it going off. The up box to flat-down box was perfect.

Hey parkbuilder - whats the word on the street up there about Killington being sold?

And I'm assuming you say you liked Shawnee better because you had a hell of a lot more control over it - I remember going end of the season (last weekend maybe?) last year and having so much fun in that park despite how fast the snow was melting, you had it going off. The up box to flat-down box was perfect.

control plays a big part for sure... it was my dream job, but im up here for a reson and im greatful. The word is that the mountain was already sold, we will see after the presidents week.

this kinda dosnt relate to the thread, but you really need to fix the boxes in the incubator park. took 1 lap through and it felt like the butter box was made out of like, bubble gum it was so sticky.

P.S. you still havent fixed the flat-down box. its still slanting to the left. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...