Monday February 26, 2007

SkiCamelback

I personnaly do not ride park other than maybe a jump or a slide here or there, but I do talk to alot of riders and ask questions.

Ok I think if you rate the parks in direct relation to the amount of park advertising comparitively you will see why we are so disappointed.

I am a direct consumer of that advertising, you are not.

There is an explaination for the reason, I do not know it, Craig is researching it, but, either way, you will not be happy with it, no matter what it is.

You are right, because there is no good reason for the closure.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the disappointment, it is obvious to everyone that there is need for improvement, unfortunately, nothing happens instantly (especially here). I believe some of the problem is the amount of time it takes to change and or "fix" the parks. It occupies a ton of time for the groomers who also have to take care of the rest of the mountain. I know this is not a great excuse and maybe just my opinion.

As for possible closure reasons;

1 Park crew chose to close it due to excessive wear from the comp.

2 Visibility due to snow, fog, lighting, etc.

3 Ski Patrol found conditions to be too poor (not the case this time)

and a few "bad" reasons which are being researched right now, but, it was not because of a financial benefit or despite you. I promise (if that means anything)

I understand the disappointment, it is obvious to everyone that there is need for improvement, unfortunately, nothing happens instantly (especially here). I believe some of the problem is the amount of time it takes to change and or "fix" the parks. It occupies a ton of time for the groomers who also have to take care of the rest of the mountain. I know this is not a great excuse and maybe just my opinion.

As for possible closure reasons;

1 Park crew chose to close it due to excessive wear from the comp.

2 Visibility due to snow, fog, lighting, etc.

3 Ski Patrol found conditions to be too poor (not the case this time)

and a few "bad" reasons which are being researched right now, but, it was not because of a financial benefit or despite you. I promise (if that means anything)

I know I am beating a dead horse. But "competition ready" pipe has been used in the CB literature several times. I don't need to explain every detail, on the other hand, if I do, maybe it will help shed some light on where parks are headed.

My son has a big National comp starting tomorrow, he has 5's under his belt but really needed the time to get them dialed in for this comp. Pipe is his weakest category of 6 that these kids are judged on. I traveled from Waterville directly to CB for numerous logistical reasons. IF CB had not had a pipe, I might have explored other areas for him or even a whole different schedule. I try to make the best of what is available in our area in a ridiculously short season - available???

Try and understand this, in another business, some of the advertising tactics that CB uses are borderline deceptive. If I wanted to be really ignorant about this, I would pursue the facts, but I won't only because we are in such a minority.

just wondering, will you be complaining next season about cb since you didnt ride there as much?

I only complain about the times we are there. If we go next year and experience what they advertise to be there and they don't deliver, then yes. I will complain.

Why is it you (and others) can say whatever derogatory remarks about CB you want to, but, if it is rebuted you cry foul?

Well I don't think I've ever personally attacked an employee at CB, where as all the attacks on Papa are personal (come on - making fun of his kids? Sure he throws them out there all the time but if you where in person would you honestly insult a guys kids when trying to prove a point?) And then the other half of the arguments are STOP COMPLAINING - which to me is an absolutely ridiculous notion.

This is a message board about camelback, if he walked into your church and started complaining about Camelback I'd see the uproar, but seriously where else would you complain about it? And what else do you expect from a message board? Its every anonymous person in the world bitching about what makes them mad, especially something like this where the customers are at the mercy of decisions by people in a company who don't post here. Its not like we're the MRG co-op forum and we make decisions - we buy tickets based on what the people here say but honestly we have 0 power. So if Papa is pushing so hard to stop people from going to Camelback let him and shut up about it - I have a new plan for your, every time you see a post by him dont' read it because you know what it will say and then it will reduce the clutter of all these people saying "shut up we're sick of hearing it". Guess what - YOUR NOT HEARING IT. You are choosing to read something that is basically titled "I'm about to rip on Camelback for the next post" every time his name comes up, it is very easy to avoid.

As for the buyer be ware - that is a good argument, especially because as a season pass holder you get a discount on price for buying sight-un-seen. This is how I got screwed on my Mountain Creek pass this year and I bitch about it (though less often than Papa) - but I have a simple solution. I'm not buying one next year. If Papa buys a Camelback pass next year we can call him a hypocrite and I wouldn't take him seriously then either - Camelback is done with parks in my book, no matter what they say they will never put a good one together. No matter how much they improve it just won't catch up to the other mountains, so I don't expect to go there unless my dad wants to go ski for a day, but my passes are going to Blue & JFBB next year - screw mountain creek too. Until next year, I say let him bitch all he wants. If this time next year he is still complaining - thats a different story.

I think the buyer be ware statement is very evident at Camelback - don't buy a pass if you want the promises delivered on, don't head up based on the east side of the mountain being open unless it is sunny, not windy, semi-crowded, above freezing, and has had deep snow on it for a long time, don't believe the ski report.