Park being relocated to South

Snoshredder21

Largest Park in the East at Creek!

Jump To:

The Scoop

Not to Be Missed

The Real Deals

We've got a big announcement for you. Maybe you've heard some rumors, maybe you've seen some changes driving by?

Well drumroll please... Mountain Creek is going to be better than ever this winter. We're building the first and only all-mountain terrain park in the East at South. It'll be more than 60 acres of progressive freestyle terrain for riders and skiers of all skill levels, with lots of new features from the JibLab plus some of your old faves coming out of retirement, and we're giving the lodge a facelift and attitude adjustment that you'll just have to see to believe. Of course, to ride the park, you're going to need a Park Pass, and this season you'll have to take a safety awareness course first, but it won't cost you a dime.

Nearly two-thirds of the resort will still be dedicated to our leisure skiers and riders, who will enjoy five great 'new' intermediate trails on what we call the 'backside' of Vernon - Great Northern, Khyber Pass, Indian Pass and Independence Pass (plus Half Moon and the rest of Sugar), improving traffic flow and easing congestion at those spots that tend to get a bit clogged up on the busy days (like Sugar and Horizon), and adding some more variety to your runs at Vernon. This allows us to more evenly distribute everyone across all four peaks, while providing our growing youth segment a dedicated park environment, as well as a better experience for our traditional skiing and riding customer. Plus Racing will move to Zero G, which has 30% more vertical and twice the length for training, and awards ceremonies will now be held on the main plaza stage for all to celebrate.

The new parks will be designed with progression in mind, with beginner and intermediate features on South peak, and intermediate to advanced features on Bear, including the first-ever Jump Line at Creek. Events like the TransAm Rail Jam and the Volcom Peanut Butter & Rail Jam will be held at South, while stuff like Girls Learn to Ride and the Z100 Snowplow Luau remain at Vernon. Watch for the full event calendar to be announced this fall.

So start counting the days until December because the best resort in the east is going to be right in your backyard! Opening day at Vernon is scheduled for December 8th with South debuting on December 15.

thats what i got from intrawest

Wow that sounds amazing...I guess alot of people are going to leave Blue and Boulder when they hear that news...

They aren't upgrading thier snowmaking, unless it is a very cold start they won't be delivering much at the start. It is a bold plan, but with out the big guns don't get your hopes too high. Historically MC has had issue with park managers not getting the snow they need. The same people are still in place, no reason to think that they have had a change heart. Blowing snow will on the park runs will be an after thought after the regular trails are open.

They aren't upgrading thier snowmaking, unless it is a very cold start they won't be delivering much at the start. It is a bold plan, but with out the big guns don't get your hopes too high. Historically MC has had issue with park managers not getting the snow they need. The same people are still in place, no reason to think that they have had a change heart. Blowing snow will on the park runs will be an after thought after the regular trails are open.

Exactly. Fuck mountain creek. As a season pass holder for 4 years, I left them this season and moved my pass to JFBB. The drive is much longer, the mountain much smaller, I have to drive between two different mountains, there are no high speed lifts, the vert is tiny - but it is still LIGHT YEARS better than mountain creek.

I agree with the concept - Vernon has been an overcrowded mess for a while. But that is not because the park (is supposed to be) there. The lack of snowmaking is the problem. If zero G and eagle don't open until february then horizon is going to be clogged up!

But now the super pipe is on vernon and not south, so is there going to be NO park at vernon but if you want to ride pipe you have to stay there? Realize it is at least 20 minute trip from vernon to south, you go up the gondola, ride to granite, go up the (slow) quad, and then take sojourn all the way over, and then take the quad up and now you got to south. In the other direction the sojourn double takes 12 minutes (i've timed it) so its about 15 if you go down quick from the top of granite. Not exactly accessible.

Are they including bear peak in this?

Finally all of that brings us to papasteezes point - SNOWMAKING IS THE PROBLEM.

The trail map featured enough acreage for park for the last 5 years, in fact they have eliminated a bunch from the map because nothing happened (flying fox? wtf?). The problem is that when the park guys bring out these gorgeous jibs and then making the perfect setups, the trail next to them is grass. I have no problem with the park guys, they're awesome - but they need more fucking snow. They have jibs that are world class, they make jumps that are perfect, ramps to rails that are examples for everyone, and they're doing it on literally 6" base. The first rain storm and rocks start poking through.

So this is a bunch of crap until they upgrade the snowmaking system or increase their budget (I think its more of the later than the former, how many nights where the guns NOT running when they could have been).

I'll go up when its all open next year to check it out, but I'm going to keep a careful eye on WHEN it gets all open. Getting all of this open late in feb doesn't count to me as open for the whole season, december and january are half of the season but creek always has little in the way of parks for those months.

edit----

it says that bear peak will be the advanced part (which has the fan guns) so there is hope, but LITTLE AT THAT.

best quote from the article:

Edited by Method9455

• 3 weeks later...

looks like someones finally feeling the pressure from big boulder...It was funny how every time you went up to big boulder you ALWAYS saw kids from creek there...Its nice that they say all this cool stuff that their going to do but if they dont have the temperatures and the snowmaking to back it up what good is it gonna do?? Its gonna be kinda stupid having and entire mountain filled with rails and shit but no snow...All gripes aside im interested to see the new creek...it cant be any worse then last year b/c last year they were SHIT...and im not jsut saying that b/c i usually love going to creek but i was thoroughly dissapointed with them all 3 times i went there this year. Well i guess we shall see, but i think its gonna be boulder again this year...followed closely by bear creek.

Keith,

ANy idea of who is running the show over there now? I heard snow planet was being hired to get them started, but who is maintaining after the initial set-up?

I'm almost positive Mark (the assistant under Shaun) is heading day to day operations for parks this year. They are already in the shop preparing features... haven't heard a word about Planet. I'll keep digging.

Yea i was right Mark is running the show... http://media.intrawest.com/mountaincreek/i...iblab_large.jpg

Edited by parkbuilder

• 4 weeks later...
I'm almost positive Mark (the assistant under Shaun) is heading day to day operations for parks this year. They are already in the shop preparing features... haven't heard a word about Planet. I'll keep digging.

Yea i was right Mark is running the show... http://media.intrawest.com/mountaincreek/i...iblab_large.jpg

Theres no reason for them to get Planet Snow - the jiblab is perfectly competent. Their rails last year where some of the sickest ever even without Shaun and Julian, and their setups where good WHEN THEY GOT THE SNOW. It is not the jiblab's fault that they don't get the snow, those guys are some of the best park builders around - I would say superior to the JFBB guys without ParkLogic - except the JFBB guys get way more snow to play with. 500k will help, I'm at JFBB this year for my pass but if they improve for a year I would consider going back since the drive is so much shorter. FOr now count me as one of the creek kids at JFBB.