Utah Report

volklyokel

Arrived in Utah Saturday, and since I have family out here, I can't hit the slopes right away, nor every day. So this trip's report may be a little spotty and hit and miss. Got out on Monday (12/17) up to Snowbasin, east of Ogden. About 65% of the mountain is open, and the Strawberry area didn't open until after noon due to wind concerns, and I never got over there.

I had picked up a couple of friends on my way to Snowbasin and rode all day with a rather beginning teen snowborder, so that kept the number of runs/vert a bit low. Actually it suited me just fine since it was my first day out skiing for the season. I knew I was "rusty" when I got to the resort and realized that I left my poles back at my sister's! Won't let that happen again! But the folks at Snowbasin were cool about renting me some of theirs, but I must admit, theirs seemed too flexible for my taste.

Conditions were basically packed powder. The area hasn't received any decent snowfalls for at least five days. 7-10" is predicted for tonight. Anyway, with the beginner snowboarder, we warmed up with a quick run on Little Cat (bunny run, but bigger than the whole of Roundtop), and then hopped the Becker chair and started down green runs Slo Road and had hoped to catch Bear Hollow and Snow Shoe, but my beginner boarder missed a turn and went down an intermediate run called Willow Springs. She did better on it than the green runs, so I suggested we ride up the Needles Gondola and give it a go from the top. She was a little scared at the top, but with some coaxing I was able to start her down Sweet Revenge, then down easier slopes on Porcupine and Middle Bowl Traverses into Bear Hollow.

We took a break for lunch and then made two more runs from top to bottom, coming down runs through Porcupine Bowl, under the Needles Gondola and finishing on City Hill Which has enough steep to keep me interested. My young boarder made some dramatic improvements in her technique, yesterday, and had a lot of fun. I don't know if I was much help, a skier who has never been on a board is probably not much help. I was trying to get her to use the edge more. Here is a shot from part way down when an opening in the clouds made for some interesting light on the mountains.

I hope to get up Big Cottonwood Canyon and visit either Brighton or Solitude tomorrow (today's a family day), after the new snow falls. Could be a great day tomorrow. When I'm on my own, I'm more apt to take more photos, so I hope to have a good batch, tomorrow. Thursday, I am aiming for Snowbird or Alta, depending on who has the more enticing snow report. Its good to be flexible on where you go... More later - VY

Was Y chute open at Snowbasin ?

Strawberry was closed in the morning I was there, so the chutes off of DeMoisy Peak were closed as well. With the 1.5 feet of snow we've gotten in the past couple of days and the 1-2 feet expected tonight, I'm sure the chutes will be in good shape, at least for the first few who venture off from there, tomorrow or Saturday.

Let us know, if you would, about honeycomb and Fantasy Ridge, word from my friends is that its quite dire but the snow charts seem ok.

Honeycomb was open on 12/19 when I paid Solitude a visit, and lots of folks were making the trek, with quite a few heading for Fantasy Ridge. I opted not to head that way. Snow coverage looked good, but was deceivingly skimpy. People who went down Honeycomb were looking at their ski/board bases afterwards. Again, with last night's snow and tonight's expected dumping. Honeycomb will be great tomorrow and Saturday.

Solitude was great with about 10 inches of overnight powder having fallen. I rode mostly ungroomed blues spanning from the Sunrise lift to the Eagle Express. Made a couple of runs off of the Summit chair, but as I mentioned above, didn't stray into Honeycomb. I saw too much shrub sticking up through the snow for me to want to stray down the canyon.

Today, I spent the morning at Brighton and rode a mix of greens and blues. I was skiing solo and didn't drift into stuff beyond what I was comfortable with. But little dips into the trees led me into 12-15" powder caches and I have to say that it was B+ grade of powder. Not totally light and fluffy, but a bit thicker than normal. The storm that dropped this came from the southwest, and was warmer than usual. Salt Lake Valley was up to 49 degrees today. But tonight, a cold front approaches from the northwest, so we really can't complain about today's thick snow. The 1 to 2 feet of dry pow that comes tonight will be great on top of good thick, base snow. I plan on hitting Snowbird either tomorrow or Monday. We'll have to see whether Little Cottonwood Canyon Road is open in the morning.

I've posted a dozen photos on my PBase site. I'll let the you have a look, if you're interested.

Sick Bird!!! Nice pics and thanks for all the info, thats above and beyond.

I will be out in UT starting the 26th if I see some Recons I'll give a shout.

Sheesh - I'm on an airplane on the 26th, heading back. Sorry to miss you Johnny.

I'll be up at Snowbird on Monday the 24th, though.