1/2/08 More lift closures.

pyro_boarder

According to what weather station???

www.wunderground.com

However, my point is that weather reports are general, not site specific. Unless you were actually there, say at the summit of CB, you don't know what the actual wind gusts were, so trying to say it was right/wrong to close the lifts is stupid.

Wunderground is a scam. They don't have any weather stations of their own they just reformat NOAA forecasts take a look.

NOAA

COASTAL WATERS FORECAST...UPDATED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE UPTON NY

/O.ROU.KOKX.MA.F.0000.000000T0000Z-000000T0000Z/

LONG ISLAND SOUND WEST OF NEW HAVEN CT/PORT JEFFERSON NY-

1054 AM EST SUN JAN 6 2008

THIS AFTERNOON

SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 1 FT OR LESS.

TONIGHT

SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 1 FT OR LESS. PATCHY DRIZZLE.

PATCHY FOG IN THE EVENING...THEN AREAS OF FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT. VSBY

1 TO 3 NM.

MON

S WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 1 FT OR LESS. PATCHY DRIZZLE AND

AREAS OF FOG IN THE MORNING WITH VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

MON NIGHT

SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS AROUND 1 FT. PATCHY FOG IN

THE EVENING...THEN AREAS OF FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

TUE

S WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 1 TO 2 FT. PATCHY FOG IN THE

MORNING WITH VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

TUE NIGHT

S WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...INCREASING TO 20 TO 25 KT AFTER

MIDNIGHT. SEAS BUILDING TO 3 TO 5 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

WED

S WINDS 20 TO 25 KT...BECOMING W 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 3 TO

5 FT...SUBSIDING TO 2 TO 4 FT. SHOWERS LIKELY IN THE MORNING...THEN

A CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON.

THU

W WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING S. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT...

SUBSIDING TO 1 TO 2 FT.

Weather Underground;

Forecast as of 10:54 am EST on January 6, 2008

Long Island Sound West Of New Haven Ct/Port Jefferson Ny-

This Afternoon

SW winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas 1 ft or less.

Tonight

SW winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas 1 ft or less. Patchy drizzle. Patchy fog in the evening...then areas of fog after midnight. Vsby 1 to 3 nm.

Mon

S winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas 1 ft or less. Patchy drizzle and areas of fog in the morning with vsby 1 to 3 nm.

Mon Night

SW winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas around 1 ft. Patchy fog in the evening...then areas of fog after midnight. Vsby 1 to 3 nm.

Tue

S winds 10 to 15 kt. Seas 1 to 2 ft. Patchy fog in the morning with vsby 1 to 3 nm.

Tue Night

S winds 15 to 20 kt...increasing to 20 to 25 kt after midnight. Seas building to 3 to 5 ft. A chance of showers.

Wed

S winds 20 to 25 kt...becoming W 15 to 20 kt. Seas 3 to 5 ft...subsiding to 2 to 4 ft. Showers likely in the morning...then a chance of showers in the afternoon.

Thu

W winds 10 to 15 kt...becoming S. Seas 2 to 4 ft... subsiding to 1 to 2 ft.

Anyway - when they say 20-25 they don't mean the wind WILL BE between 20 and 25. It means it will be windier than a day when it says 10-15 and windier than a day that is 5-10. There are periods on a 20-25 day when it is 5, and there are periods when it is 35. If it said gusts in the 40s, then a large number of gusts are in the 40s, some are much bigger. There is a reason when we go out and race on a 20-25 day, and a gust comes along sometimes some boats flip, and sometimes EVERY boat flips. They are not the same. There is more variation and unpredictability in wind than there is in snowpack. You guys reading wind numbers off of online forecasts is like some non-skiing sailor reading the snow depth charts on weather.com and trying to tell us what the surface condition of the day will be. It just sounds rediculous. Unless you are there with a $200 anemometer don't try to monday morning quarterback the wind speeds.

acutally, if you look at who runs wunderground, they have some pretty good credentials.

However in this case, I looked up the historical weather for yesterday, not a forecast.

Plus we are both saying the same thing. Unless you are there.....

"The accident was the worst of its kind in Switzerland since December 1999, when strong winds caused a tree to topple onto a gondola car, killing two people and injuring three."

Its not just about the lift being able to run in a wide open area.

If you remember back to that test they did in Colorado 2-3 years ago where they tried to see how far a chair could go before failing, they ran it backwards with no brakes, overloaded it, set the wheelhouse on fire. But the only thing that knocked it off the tower was a tree falling on the wire.

"The accident was the worst of its kind in Switzerland since December 1999, when strong winds caused a tree to topple onto a gondola car, killing two people and injuring three."

Its not just about the lift being able to run in a wide open area.

If you remember back to that test they did in Colorado 2-3 years ago where they tried to see how far a chair could go before failing, they ran it backwards with no brakes, overloaded it, set the wheelhouse on fire. But the only thing that knocked it off the tower was a tree falling on the wire.

But that same resort had two people fall from a lift chair during an emergency shutdown about a week ago. Both the fall and the shutdown were due to high wind gusts.

Edited by Glenn

I had a great time at CB today. $22 for 6 hours of riding...not a bad deal. whoever designed the parking lots should have took into consideration that alot of New Yorkers go to CB and suck at driving, the lanes are way too skinny. and while most of the assholes go to BC, all the dumbasses go to CB. People cannot seem to grasp the concept of 4 people to a chair.

And the lift lady told me I couldn't bring my soda bottle up the lift:

Lady: You have to throw that away.

TP4: Why?

Lady: You can't bring trash up the lift.

TP4: I'm gonna throw it in the trash can under the lift.

Lady: You're not allowed to use that trashcan.

TP4: Why?

Lady: People throw stuff at the skiers.

TP4: Then why is the trashcan there if no one is allowed to use it?

Lady: Cause its been there for 15 years.

TP4: So?

Lady: Throw it away now or you can't ride the lift.

TP4: (expletive)

Hehehehehehehe...now I know your mom went backstage at a Steven Wright concert.

Really? Not according to the official weather report. Max winds of 29 mph. HMMM Who is spouting the bs?

I was sitting on that lift and it was the first time I was ever scared that I can remember. So what are you saying? That I wasn't on that lift or that I have no experience with wind or that patrol and weather reports at the base were all wrong?