Hunter MT

SkiDevil

If you have a few days, I would suggest going more north to a truely memorable mountain. Grilled...'s previous post really nails the stats for the mountain, but stats don't say it all.

Hunter has possibly the best snowmaking system in the US and they do a great job of covering most of their runs. They have a self-billed title of "Snowmaking capitol of the world." They have decent groomers and the West Side (expert terrain) is rather steep and littered with bumps. Here is where things get a little blurred. Hunter is an oversized skier factory. Everything about their operation is all about getting as many people on the hill as they can. Unfortunately, the ski experience suffers because of it. The runs themselves all have the same generic feel to them. The snow is quickly rubbed off the hill with the sheer volume of skiers/riders they facilitate. WIth little exception, there really is no reason to ride anything but their Snowlite Express Quad and that just simply gets boring.

Don't get me wrong, I ski there a few times a year, but NEVER on a weekend. The place is mobbed with 'city-folk' and they are spewed all over the hill like landmines on North Korea's southern border. It is a true adventure in skiing. For those that use skier etiquette by calling out 'on your right' and 'on your left,' you will have no voice left after just one day.

Should you still want to give it a go, do yourself a few favors. Either buy your lift tickets online for a discount (http://shop.huntermtn.com/eski_tickets.html) or stop by a Potter Brothers Ski Shop (http://www.potterbrothers.com/catalog/) and purchase vouchers to be redeemed on the mountain as this can save a bundle. Also, the cafeteria offerings are hardly worth the price. I don't mind spending money on decent food, but what they try to call food for the price is an outrage. Although this is true for most mountains, Hunter epitomizes this. This is also compounded by the fact that there aren't any great eateries in the area either.

Should you be able to take a couple of days and don't mind extra drive time, I would definately suggest going further north. Should you care not for the extra drive time, then Hunter is decent mountain that is relatively close for what it has to offer.

Good Luck and happy skiing!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, thanks for all the info. I don't think I can stand all the crazies from the NY area. Accually I was once one myself and I would now rather

have a nice quiet day on the slopes. If I do decide to go to Hunter I'll be sure to do a few week days.

Thanks again,

Steve

If you have a few days, I would suggest going more north to a truely memorable mountain. Grilled...'s previous post really nails the stats for the mountain, but stats don't say it all.

Hunter has possibly the best snowmaking system in the US and they do a great job of covering most of their runs. They have a self-billed title of "Snowmaking capitol of the world." They have decent groomers and the West Side (expert terrain) is rather steep and littered with bumps. Here is where things get a little blurred. Hunter is an oversized skier factory. Everything about their operation is all about getting as many people on the hill as they can. Unfortunately, the ski experience suffers because of it. The runs themselves all have the same generic feel to them. The snow is quickly rubbed off the hill with the sheer volume of skiers/riders they facilitate. WIth little exception, there really is no reason to ride anything but their Snowlite Express Quad and that just simply gets boring.

Don't get me wrong, I ski there a few times a year, but NEVER on a weekend. The place is mobbed with 'city-folk' and they are spewed all over the hill like landmines on North Korea's southern border. It is a true adventure in skiing. For those that use skier etiquette by calling out 'on your right' and 'on your left,' you will have no voice left after just one day.

Should you still want to give it a go, do yourself a few favors. Either buy your lift tickets online for a discount (http://shop.huntermtn.com/eski_tickets.html) or stop by a Potter Brothers Ski Shop (http://www.potterbrothers.com/catalog/) and purchase vouchers to be redeemed on the mountain as this can save a bundle. Also, the cafeteria offerings are hardly worth the price. I don't mind spending money on decent food, but what they try to call food for the price is an outrage. Although this is true for most mountains, Hunter epitomizes this. This is also compounded by the fact that there aren't any great eateries in the area either.

Should you be able to take a couple of days and don't mind extra drive time, I would definately suggest going further north. Should you care not for the extra drive time, then Hunter is decent mountain that is relatively close for what it has to offer.

Good Luck and happy skiing!