CB 3/22 still great coverage

NJSkiFamily

Did the family's last day of skiing for this winter.

The morning was very good; the afternoon was sloppy.

The coverage on the trails is fantastic. Only Nile Mile is showing bare spots. Otherwise there is side to side coverage everywhere else. It looks like there is plenty of base. Okay - its frozen with corn on top but there is plenty of snow.

I lost my season pass at the cafeteria and some nice person turned it into the main office so I asked a couple of employees how long will CB be open. The word I got was the plan is to stay open into April. I specifically asked about next weekend and was told yes, they would be open next weekend.

I also asked how the "ski free if you bring a season pass from another mountain" is working out and they said its been doing well.

Back to the conditions...... the morning was corn snow but fairly solid and fast. Our goal was to ski every trail so we started with the front four black diamonds. Marjies had like two or three massive bumps on them - more like boulders. Asp and rocket were outstanding. All groomed out and the snow was smooth and very edgeable. Hump was very good as well.

Then we headed over to the laurel glade park. It was mostly empty except for a lot of little, little kids. But these kids knew what they were doing so it wasn't a problem.

The halfpipe is really showing wear and tear. It had several bare spots so I didn't go in.

I thoroughly embarrassed the park crew guy who was going around to each feature and raking the ramps. I told him "thank you" for keeping things safe.

My kids really enjoy the boxes in this park. I can only do the wide flat box and the two jumps. I think I was the only female over the age of 20 in the park so I felt pretty good.

After doing 4-5 runs in the park we headed to lunch. The only cafeteria open is the base lodge - Cameltop and Glen Lodge are closed.

Around 1pm we headed back on the slopes and went over to the east side of mountain. 1pm seemed like the witching hour as everything had softened up a lot and there was way more slush than in the morning.

We figured we better do Cliffhanger first before things deteriorated more. Cliffy is in great shape. There's actually some icy spots on it but the snow is smooth....more sugar than corn.

Nile Mile is a complete waste of time. Bare in spots and extremely slushy. Did it once and regretted it.

Pharaoh is fine at the top and slush at the bottom. Stick with Cliffy. We did the jumps in Lower Moore's Ramble and it was complete mush of slush both on the ramps and landing. Ugh.

The slushy conditions in the afternoon took its toll on both kids and they were wiped out by 2:30pm. So by 3 we called it a day and mostly likely a season.

The crowd was minimal today.

So my advice to all you Blue people heading over to CB to ski for free......ski in the morning and stick to the steeps.

Yes, we saw the Easter bunny walking in front of the main lodge. My daughter saw a ground hog under the Sullivan lift.

Bottom line.....given the rain last week, conditions at CB are very good. Pick your trails and you'll be fine.

All I can say is you are brave for hitting the terrain park.

:lol:

You get the best snow at the terrain parks because all the traffic is by the features. So the snow on the sides of the trail is barely touched and in great shape!!!

Just stay out of the landings and you have a great trail.

Boxes/rails is our next challenge. At Smuggler's we've had two private freestyle lessons on how to ski jumps/boxes/rails.

It was a very humbling experience. As a skier, we instinctively edge because that is what gets drilled into our heads.

Can't do that in the park. With a lot of effort you can keep your skis flat on a box and go down straight. But try to go down sideways and its darn near impossible not to go on your edges.

I take the jumps slow - I get a couple of inches of air and I'm happy. ;)

Excellent report NJSkiFamily...I'm psyched to ski Camelback tomorrow for the first time since 2006..

Thanks, GSS.

CB groomed everything last night - so no bumps. I think they might do the same tonight. Hoping it gets really cold tonight and everything firms up. I'll take ice over slush any day.

I hope you have a great time and can't wait to hear about it.

I cannot believe your luck that you get to ski for free after Blue closes.