Cleaning up straps on a pack

method9455

So I had a nice AK 16L pack from 2 years ago. Very simple bag, 2 shoulder straps, 1 chest strap, and 2 straps on the back for the board. There was a pocket for the board straps to go into so they didn't dangle around all day. The bag ended up ripping out in a spot that was unrepairable (I ski with it and use it daily when I bike to and from class so it gets a lot of use) so they sent me a new AK 23L pack from this year.

It is a nice pack with better shoulder straps, more room, good materials etc, but damn does it have a lot of straps.

2 shoulder straps, chest strap, waist strap on the front

2 board straps on the back

2 shovel straps on the back

4 "cinch" straps to tighten things up

2 straps I can't even figure out what the hell they are supposed to be for

All in all, I end up with like 3 feet of extra webbing doing nothing all day and no where to put it and it dangles around. Anyone have any suggestions on how to clean it up? I'm a bit wary of just cutting the straps to the lengths I want and sewing the ends over. I do that for my sailing and scuba vests but I wear the same thing with those all the time, this bag has to fit over a ski jacket all the way down to a t-shirt so sewing to length is not going to work. I was thinking electrical tape or something like that, but I must be missing something. Am I just a scrub or what?

So I had a nice AK 16L pack from 2 years ago. Very simple bag, 2 shoulder straps, 1 chest strap, and 2 straps on the back for the board. There was a pocket for the board straps to go into so they didn't dangle around all day. The bag ended up ripping out in a spot that was unrepairable (I ski with it and use it daily when I bike to and from class so it gets a lot of use) so they sent me a new AK 23L pack from this year.

It is a nice pack with better shoulder straps, more room, good materials etc, but damn does it have a lot of straps.

2 shoulder straps, chest strap, waist strap on the front

2 board straps on the back

2 shovel straps on the back

4 "cinch" straps to tighten things up

2 straps I can't even figure out what the hell they are supposed to be for

All in all, I end up with like 3 feet of extra webbing doing nothing all day and no where to put it and it dangles around. Anyone have any suggestions on how to clean it up? I'm a bit wary of just cutting the straps to the lengths I want and sewing the ends over. I do that for my sailing and scuba vests but I wear the same thing with those all the time, this bag has to fit over a ski jacket all the way down to a t-shirt so sewing to length is not going to work. I was thinking electrical tape or something like that, but I must be missing something. Am I just a scrub or what?

you're just a scrub.

but really. my advice would be to pack that baby as full as possible and then decide what straps need to be trimmed. those straps you aren't sure the use for may be some sort of extra cinch straps for big loads. or may just be there to strap things to the outside. once it is completely loaded down all the strap usage should become apparent. if at full load you still have straps you can't account for, and can't possibly think of a reason to use them for, i say axe them. At that point you should also be able to see which ones are just flat out too long, and trim them.

i'd leave the shoulder straps at full length regardless. I've found being able to open one side up as long as possible makes it real easy to get the pack on and off. That way you can get the length all dialed in while out using it, and just bust open one strap to take it off. Then the next time you use it you should be able to just balance the straps back out again and be good to go.