Camelback first week of december 08

method9455

From their front page

Camelback is open for the season, the mountain is open 9am to 4pm today and will reopen Monday to Thursday from 3pm to 9pm with the Glen Terrain Park only. Click here for rates and hours. Camelback will reopen for daily operation 9am to 4pm on Friday, December 5th.

Tickets are aparently $20 based on their ticket rates page

It certainly isn't for lack of snow, the ONLY thin areas on the entire mountain were getting onto and off of the Raceway triple as I mentioned in my TR so this is simply they don't want to spend the money to run the stevenson quad and groom those trails.

I guess we can't bitch about it because they are never open this early at all, but it still strikes me as weird that they can't make enough money off lift tickets to keep that lift open during the week, when it was packed all weekend. I don't know what the weather will be but come on, you are telling me that you can run two high speed quads plus a few extra lifts all winter long when few people are there until after school, but you can't make a profit running one quad after school this week? People are pscyhed to get out there, and you have the best combination of terrain and snow conditions available in PA right now but you are going to be too cheap to run a lift for it?

From their front page

Camelback is open for the season, the mountain is open 9am to 4pm today and will reopen Monday to Thursday from 3pm to 9pm with the Glen Terrain Park only. Click here for rates and hours. Camelback will reopen for daily operation 9am to 4pm on Friday, December 5th.

Tickets are aparently $20 based on their ticket rates page

It certainly isn't for lack of snow, the ONLY thin areas on the entire mountain were getting onto and off of the Raceway triple as I mentioned in my TR so this is simply they don't want to spend the money to run the stevenson quad and groom those trails.

I guess we can't bitch about it because they are never open this early at all, but it still strikes me as weird that they can't make enough money off lift tickets to keep that lift open during the week, when it was packed all weekend. I don't know what the weather will be but come on, you are telling me that you can run two high speed quads plus a few extra lifts all winter long when few people are there until after school, but you can't make a profit running one quad after school this week? People are pscyhed to get out there, and you have the best combination of terrain and snow conditions available in PA right now but you are going to be too cheap to run a lift for it?

condtions this weekend were very good but I don't see how you can claim the cover was not a little thin on Tut's (big brown streaks down the sides and especially at the exit onto meadows.

Granted, some of the other runs had plenty of snow to continue running through this week but I guess they are just looking after what they have with the hope / intention of having more terrain available as they get towards the more profitable days running up to and around christmas without having to blow in marginal conditions.

I was pissed that they didn't open last weekend when they could have and I went to BB instead, but this weekends conditions justified their decision for me. Look at the pasting that Blue has taken from some of it's biggest supporters by trying to rush their opening.

but it still strikes me as weird that they can't make enough money off lift tickets to keep that lift open during the week, when it was packed all weekend. I don't know what the weather will be but come on, you are telling me that you can run two high speed quads plus a few extra lifts all winter long when few people are there until after school, but you can't make a profit running one quad after school this week?

It's a business. If it was worth it for them to run the quad during the week, they would do it.

Not to be confrontational, but it was the Sullivan lift that was open, and I heard that Tut's wasn't open, and if it was, it surely doesn't lead to Honeymoon Lane... That being said, Camelback is always r tarded when it comes to their operating policies... Thats why I switched to a Blue season pass last year... They often don't run both high speed quads in the middle of winter on weekdays... Many a time I have gone to find them closing the Stevenson around 5-6... It gets a little old... That being said, they should stay open, but it doesn't surprise me... Their early opening was bittersweet... It should have been the weekend before, regardless of less terrain, they should at least stay open midweek 9-4, or 4-9 if they want the after schoolers, and they definitely should have more open than the sunbowl and the park... Im guessing that the only reason they even have the sunbowl open is to allow passage to the park and give those parking at the main lodge a return lift...

look in the other threads there are pics of their hike park.

The hike park is gone though, and the new park to me isn't as great as the one in the hike park. Nipples I'm sorry I forgot to take pictures the other day it was really dumb of me to carry a camera around all day and not take any. There are probably only 2 or 3 features worth it there for you, one jump that is smaller than Boulders but still alright, a down flat down and an urban down rail.

I also specifically asked at the park pass video what their policy on inverts is, officially you will still get your lift ticket clipped for them but unofficially they don't care. I saw a kid do a back flip and no one chased him down with sirens so it looks to me like they are going to let it go now.

The hike park is gone though, and the new park to me isn't as great as the one in the hike park. Nipples I'm sorry I forgot to take pictures the other day it was really dumb of me to carry a camera around all day and not take any. There are probably only 2 or 3 features worth it there for you, one jump that is smaller than Boulders but still alright, a down flat down and an urban down rail.

I also specifically asked at the park pass video what their policy on inverts is, officially you will still get your lift ticket clipped for them but unofficially they don't care. I saw a kid do a back flip and no one chased him down with sirens so it looks to me like they are going to let it go now.

my one friend was throwing barrel rolls and rodeos off the first hit and a ski patroller stopped him and clipped his ticket.. so just look out for the yellow jackets before you flip

Not to be confrontational, but it was the Sullivan lift that was open, and I heard that Tut's wasn't open, and if it was, it surely doesn't lead to Honeymoon Lane... That being said, Camelback is always r tarded when it comes to their operating policies... Thats why I switched to a Blue season pass last year... They often don't run both high speed quads in the middle of winter on weekdays... Many a time I have gone to find them closing the Stevenson around 5-6... It gets a little old... That being said, they should stay open, but it doesn't surprise me... Their early opening was bittersweet... It should have been the weekend before, regardless of less terrain, they should at least stay open midweek 9-4, or 4-9 if they want the after schoolers, and they definitely should have more open than the sunbowl and the park... Im guessing that the only reason they even have the sunbowl open is to allow passage to the park and give those parking at the main lodge a return lift...

Tut's was open Saturday but not Friday and who mentioned it leading to honeymoon lane? If you are going to be "not confrontational" then at least read the other posts.

CB are always a little wierd with their lift (resort?) management, presumably trying to keep costs in check but in reality just pissing people off.

It's a business. If it was worth it for them to run the quad during the week, they would do it.

I love this quote. If businesses were so infallible, I wouldn't have lost 8 percent in my IRA yesterday. It was packed on Saturday, you are going to tell me they can get more people out on a random Saturday morning but not this week after school? Because the bottom line is that they are running the lift all regular season with few people there, and they are not running it this week when a lot of people would like to go there. They have no data points to forecast from because they were never the best mountain open during the first week of the season before, but now they are and they are squandering it.

Screw Camelsack..ski at Blue..so was Camelback really closed midweek??? Weaksauce..

Well technically I think Camelback and Blue had about the same amount of terrain open, it was just disappointing that Camelback didn't open the rest of the mountain they had snow on, where as Blue didn't have snow anywhere else to open.

I Drove through CB between 7 and 8 yesterday evening and thought the "park" area was open there seemed to be no-one there, very few cars and only 2 people visible on Rhodo.

I think this early in the season they made the right choice, weekday ticket sales during the day would be very low.

They don't normally start any night skiing until a few weeks into the season anyway, this year has been different in that respect already.

I'm looking forward to next week when they can fire up the guns again and we'll get some more terrain to play on.