Wet and fast at BB tonight

Robert2

BB STILL running lifts, even in the rain.

They could not groom at all Wednesday night but STILL had great riding surface tonight.

Yesterday's glasslike boiler plate hardpack held its cord form into today even with all that rain.

It created a very wet mashed potato surface that you could step 3 inches into it when you walked.

There was an ice storm around noon so trees, shrubs, lifts, had a thin ice coating.

I can only assume this ice created a seal on the hardpack that shed the rain water later.

Riding was fast. Nothing sticky about this surface.

Just another day in paradise.

BB STILL running lifts, even in the rain.

They could not groom at all Wednesday night but STILL had great riding surface tonight.

Yesterday's glasslike boiler plate hardpack held its cord form into today even with all that rain.

It created a very wet mashed potato surface that you could step 3 inches into it when you walked.

There was an ice storm around noon so trees, shrubs, lifts, had a thin ice coating.

I can only assume this ice created a seal on the hardpack that shed the rain water later.

Riding was fast. Nothing sticky about this surface.

Just another day in paradise.

Did it change over to snow up there yet?

Did it change over to snow up there yet?

I can't really know for sure. Maybe someone else can answer that.

I live in Jim Thorpe at 600 foot sea level???

BB is something like 1800 foot above sea level.

It has ALWAYS rained here in Jim Thorpe during Halloween and Thanksgiving while the mountain top

outside of Jim Thorpe 15 miles up route 903 got snow or ice.

And last year we were snowboarding the last week in March while flowers were popping up in my wife's garden.

Its very misleading.

I just go every day and forget about the weather report.

I call ahead and ask if the lifts are running and if they say YES then I go.

Like yesterday.... rained all day...looked like shit the entire bus ride there.....then the rain stopped at 2PM and

the riding was "priceless".

Same thing today.

Like I said. Just another day in paradise.

Awesome Robert..props to BB for staying open in the rain..

It poured for a while but turned to light drizzle so it really wasn't all that bad.

Night skiing never is "pretty"....cuz its dark with scattered lights so it doesn't even

appear to be dingy like a normal rainy day that would get you down.

I wear a kmart rain suit pants and snowboard jacket so I don't even get wet when I sit on the puddles on the lift.

I sewed a 2 inch chunk of a windshield wiper onto my mitten thumb so I can clear my goggles of rain drops.

You can buy gloves now with goggle wipers but I haven't found anything like my 13 year old Burton mittens.

Edited by Robert2

I sewed a 2 inch chunk of a windshield wiper onto my mitten thumb so I can clear my goggles of rain drops.

You can buy gloves now with goggle wipers but I haven't found anything like my 13 year old Burton mittens.

hahahah pictures of this please

Nice. I can't tell you how many situations I've been in where I wished I could sew, there are a lot of useful applications. I splice line so how much harder could it be?

It helps to wear 4.0 diopter reading glasses. I get them at a dollar store.

They are as powerful as the machinist magnifier visor headband glasses but

weigh no more than a pair of glasses.

IF you want to really learn how to sew to become a doctor you can slice a grape in half

and try to sew it back together. Grape skin and pulp is real close to human flesh in the way it

sews back together.

Robert - get any videos off your helmet cam? you should really upload some when you can.

The helmet cam has certain weather limitations.

Its an Oregon Scientific ATC 2k and the instructions state specificly to not use it in extreme

cold without a special camera case. I didn't get the case for it yet.

I haven't been using it yet because the temperature at night definitely has been too cold for the

camera. Also a wee dark at BB. I'll get video at JF in the daytime.

I've also had very little incentive to share video after the response I got last March when I posted

HELMETCAM, JF 3-06-08 movies

http://www.paskiandride.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11248

I'm not looking for any awards for great video here. I just posted what

conditions look like midweek in March at JF. Great condtitions. No crowds.

I've seen the various "edits" of park tricks and am totally unimpressed by

video of people walking up hills and bonking real slow on rails.

I never learned how to grind rails with a skateboard so maybe its just me but

I just don't see where the excitement, adrenaline rush, joy?, comes from sliding real

slow to a rail, bunny hopping the rail, then grinding the rail for 10 feet, just to stop

and walk up the hill to do that again.

To each their own.

If its fun for those who do it then have at it.

Its just not for me at my age.

I got an arm full of stitches on a longboard skateboard last year and it

took 6 weeks to heal so I swore off all summer blacktop rolling sports forever

and took up kayaking as my off snow daily exercise.

Yea...it was sick to try longboarding.

I figured it was the closest I could get to the motion of carving on a snowboard in the off season and did just fine on flat blacktop for 2 weeks while my wife walked the dog in the Lehigh Gorge.

I just blasted ribbons of S turns on the blacktop for 2 miles ...then found a hill and the parking lot with

gravel.... sort of looked like sliding into home plate.... but on 2 inch size sharp gravel.

I just couldn't believe it took most of 2 months to heal. That sucked. I lost most of April and May from that one fall.