Stowe in Early April

Snowbride08

Has anyone here been to Stowe in early April? We're planning our yearly trip up there, and it looks like we won't be able to go in March as planned - husband has playoffs and then nationals for the hockey team he coaches. We're looking at either the first or second week in April. Going in February isn't really an option, but we can try and make it happen over Presidents' Day if we absolutly have to (I don't want to pay the extra $$$ for lodging during that week, however). According to their website the end of their season is the weekend after Easter. I was wondering how the conditions are that close to the end of the season, if there are a lot of trail closures, how many people are there, and things like that.

Also, Easter falls during the time we are looking at as well. Do you think that will affect the crowds, since lots of schools have spring break around that time? We were spoiled last year, we were there on a Wednesday and there were NO LINES. I'd like to try and plan for that to happen again.

Thanks for any info.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know how they are with trail closures? Last year when I was there in early march the entire Toll House section was closed, which I was pretty dissappointed about. I won't lie, I was really overwhelmed by the size of the mountain and was looking for some nice beginner terrain to get my feet wet with. I did spend some time on the Spruce Peak side to begin, but I got bored of that after a few runs. I would really like to check out the Toll House side this year, and am hoping that it is open. I don't want to stumble onto a trail that I can't handle and then end up getting into trouble. I can *carefully* handle the black diamond terrain at BC, which is equal to what, the blues in Stowe?

I was up there real late March two seasons ago and it was amazing. Although I spent most of my time at Jay Peak and one day at Stowe both mountains had great covereage on trails and in the woods and it was all beautiful spring soft snow for the most part. We were going to check out Smuggs Notch while we were up there that trip but when we pulled up into the parking lot we seen bare spots and deicided to spend another day at Jay Peak.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know how they are with trail closures? Last year when I was there in early march the entire Toll House section was closed, which I was pretty dissappointed about. I won't lie, I was really overwhelmed by the size of the mountain and was looking for some nice beginner terrain to get my feet wet with. I did spend some time on the Spruce Peak side to begin, but I got bored of that after a few runs. I would really like to check out the Toll House side this year, and am hoping that it is open. I don't want to stumble onto a trail that I can't handle and then end up getting into trouble. I can *carefully* handle the black diamond terrain at BC, which is equal to what, the blues in Stowe?

I don't really go to BC, but I would rate most blues at Stowe equal to the blacks at Camelback or Blue Mountain. I would ride under the Gondola and Spruce if you are worried. Gondolier/Perry Merryl/Cliff Trail are all doable if you can handle blacks in PA and that is a lot right there. Also if you ride off the triple the blues are not that bad.