TR Okemo 2/15/09

DiMe

I got up at 3am picked up a friend in Marshalls Creek and left for Okemo at 4am. We made good time pulled into the Blue Lot at 8:30 booted up and jumped on the shuttle bus to the mountain. We finally got in line for the base area lift that take you up across the mountain so you can ride down to the lifts that service the face of the mountain at 9:30 after being held up at the ticket window by some complaining asshat. We went for the Northstar Express quad which had about a 5-10 min wait and headed to the top the conditions reminded me of the Poconos carveable hardpack with some soft stuff on the sides. We took Upper Mountain Road since it was the only green we seen for a nice warmup run down to Limelight and ended up on the Gore side of the mountain. We spent the rest of the day avoiding the High Speeds and riding the Sachem Quad than hopping on the Glade Peak quad to the top since there were barely a line for both these lifts. We rode Mountain Road and cut down almost all of the trails that it intersects with a few times than went looking for a glade. It seemed like most of the easier glades were closed but we found a double black glade "Double Diamond" origional name and unfortunately found no soft snow it was bumped up and icy. We hit about every blue square we found from the Glade Peak quad for the rest of the day, most of the blacks were bumped or icy. The Zone park was closed all morning for a ski slopestyle but we got to check it out for the last run of the day was having a great run until slipped out on the last jump and wacked the back of my head. All in all a great day even though the conditions werent so great they were better than I expected having last week been so warm. To Killington we go tomarrow morning. I checked the weather and see they're supposed to get 15.4 inches Wed night in Killington but we have to leave Tuesday what crap luck :wrench:

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

This is my first trip to Southern, VT since I was much younger. I spent a long weekend riding at Jay Peak and Stowe two season ago in March and it seems as if there is alot more to explore off trail in the North the forest is much more open. Okemos woods seemed very dense and I noticed alot of above ground snowmaking pipeline along the trails I suppose theres not to much off trail exploreing in the South? I rode Stratton 9 years ago and I remember the forest being similar.

This is my first trip to Southern, VT since I was much younger. I spent a long weekend riding at Jay Peak and Stowe two season ago in March and it seems as if there is alot more to explore off trail in the North the forest is much more open. Okemos woods seemed very dense and I noticed alot of above ground snowmaking pipeline along the trails I suppose theres not to much off trail exploreing in the South? I rode Stratton 9 years ago and I remember the forest being similar.

Yea it is pretty tight at Mount Snow as well, pretty much you get what they have on the map and thats about it. Glad you had a good day at Okemo, I've never been there though I've hit Mount Snow and Stratton a lot and I think they are similiar.