TR 1/16

RootDKJ

Date(s) Skied: 1/6/10

Resort or Ski Area: Blue Mountain

Conditions: Typical & Crowded

Trip Report: So many PASR's in the house yesterday and no TR?:confused Saw Toast in the parking lot, and then as we were leaving. Met up with Kragan, Johnny Style and Nastar Glenn. Again Paradise had the best snow on the mountain. Blue now has 3 bump runs, as they seeded bumps on Nightmare. Challenge was freaking horrible. Death cookies or death bumps...take your pick. Switchback was pretty good and the snow in the upper part of Sidewinder was as well. Razor's was closed for race training again until 11. Only Blue would close the best trail on the mountain on a busy holiday weekend. Genius. We got the first runs down it and it was an absolute mess. Ruts and piss poor grooming everywhere. I guess the new winch cat isn't helping...

I was going to have a little fun and demo some skis. I told the Volkl guy that I wanted to try the fattest skis he had with him. He said that would be the Katana, but he wasn't letting them out today. Ok, so I then asked him for the fattest skis he would let out today. That was the Mantra at 96 under foot. Kragan thinks I'm freakin crazy...but I'm only having a little fun here. I did two runs on them (Switchback and Lazy). I hated them after the 1st run. Quickly, I switched them out for a pair of AC50's. Being very similiar in dimention to my Jef Fuels, I wanted to give them a try. They are softer in the tip and feel like they had a shorter turning radius. A very fun ski though. All things considered, I like the ride on Nordica's better.

Not much for pics today. Had to get in and out before the crowds came.

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

Race team on Razor's

IMG_0160.jpg

• Like 1

With the exception of the company of some PASRs, yesterday (1/16) kind of sucked. I never want to say that skiing sucks, especially when the Sun is out, but the crowds at Blue this past week have really been intense to me. I know it will get better in February, but man, it is tough sometimes. There was some nice retro gear yesterday, some nice camouflage, everybody smoking cigarettes on the lift, etc. The standard gaper stuff.

The only good skiing for me was in the moguls because they were empty. It was fifty degrees by eleven a.m. so things were getting soft. Barney's is laid out nicely and had my attention most of the day. With rain in the forecast I thought I might get up this morning for two quick hours, but after flashing back to yesterday, I went back to bed. Maybe I'm just having Western withdrawals.

With the exception of the company of some PASRs, yesterday (1/16) kind of sucked. I never want to say that skiing sucks, especially when the Sun is out, but the crowds at Blue this past week have really been intense to me. I know it will get better in February, but man, it is tough sometimes. There was some nice retro gear yesterday, some nice camouflage, everybody smoking cigarettes on the lift, etc. The standard gaper stuff.

The only good skiing for me was in the moguls because they were empty. It was fifty degrees by eleven a.m. so things were getting soft. Barney's is laid out nicely and had my attention most of the day. With rain in the forecast I thought I might get up this morning for two quick hours, but after flashing back to yesterday, I went back to bed. Maybe I'm just having Western withdrawals.

Yeah, the guy with the Marloboro Miles fanny pack was a classic. You were rocking Barny's pretty good. I should really try to work on improving my bump skills on Nightware.