Belleayre Transferred to ORDA

Ride Delaware ?

http://www.woodstockx.com/2012/04/06/new-boss-in-town-orda-takeover-of-belleayre-raises-hopes-suspicions/

This has been talked and debated about for the past several years, and the decision became final several weeks ago, but nobody had mentioned it, so I figured I would throw it out there. I know that most people here do not ski/ride in the Catskillz on a regular basis, and when they do, they prefer the larger and better maintained mountains of Windham and Hunter, but I believe this is a good thing overall. The resort will now be run more like a resort with an eye towards profits instead of a directly subsidized public recreational facility. This will most likely mean that prices will increase, but it also creates the possibility of a joint Belleayre/Gore/Whiteface season pass/discount card. This will also mean that the management will be overseen by a division that distinctly works in the ski resort business which is a positive. I do not understand how the employment works with ORDA, so I couldn't tell you if those employees are states employees still, or they will become ORDA employees. Either way, I expect that there will continue to be trending towards seasonal employment away from year round employment. Unfortunately, this may also mean that early and late season operations may be curtailed. I believe the days of November 10 openings and April 16 snowmaking will be over. However, they will still likely aim for a Thanksgiving opening like they do at the other ORDA resorts, and an early April closing.

I for one, being a Belleayre groupie, find this to be encouraging and believe that it will lead to more sustained operations for years to come. It will be nice knowing that they will be open every year instead of not knowing from year to year. Hopefully they won't have any more mid season peak weekend mechanics strikes either!!!