What's going to be open by Nov. 20th???

Timeless

I won't bash you - cause you seem like kinda person that always wins arguments....

I could show you a S-load of pictures I've taken - 90% on weekends - where people have tons of room to ski and enjoy themselves..... but I only really ski the tougher trails...

But - thats probably not going to convince you cause your mind is made up.....

Part of it is also because my home hill, Montage, is the most empty ski area in the northeast that's not yet bankrupt. I admit that I'm not used to long lift lines and having to wait for a line to clear. It's unusual when there's more than two other people on my favorite slope (which is MUCH steeper than anything at Hunter).

And, DMC, does it really seem like a try and win arguements? Actually, I'm just really consistent with my opinion and allow arguementitive people to put their own foot in their own mouth. Here's an example:

"We actually gotta put up with all the people inflooding from PA and NJ in Hunter for the first few weeks until PA and NJ ski areas open... We always joke that once Camelback and Mountain Creek open things get better... We can't wait for those places to open1!

Don't see me complaining about it.... I mean it svcks thats it's crowded - but it's cool.. I don't mind..."---DMC

Finally, DMC, you do realize this is a Pennsylvania ski and ride message board? Some of us just don't like Hunter. I take my early and late turns at Belleayre, when I'm in NY, so I have nothing against the Catskills. I've also probably spent 100 nights at the Cave Mountain Motel, skiing Windham. Doesn't that just mean more room for you at Hunter? What's the gripe? Message boards are a place to express opinions, including places you don't like to ski. Preaching that nobody should ever say anything negative about a ski area is a little too Fidel Castro for me. ;)

Part of it is also because my home hill, Montage, is the most empty ski area in the northeast that's not yet bankrupt. I admit that I'm not used to long lift lines and having to wait for a line to clear. It's unusual when there's more than two other people on my favorite slope (which is MUCH steeper than anything at Hunter).

And, DMC, does it really seem like a try and win arguements? Actually, I'm just really consistent with my opinion and allow arguementitive people to put their own foot in their own mouth. Here's an example:

"We actually gotta put up with all the people inflooding from PA and NJ in Hunter for the first few weeks until PA and NJ ski areas open... We always joke that once Camelback and Mountain Creek open things get better... We can't wait for those places to open1!

Don't see me complaining about it.... I mean it svcks thats it's crowded - but it's cool.. I don't mind..."---DMC

Finally, DMC, you do realize this is a Pennsylvania ski and ride message board? Some of us just don't like Hunter. I take my early and late turns at Belleayre, when I'm in NY, so I have nothing against the Catskills. I've also probably spent 100 nights at the Cave Mountain Motel, skiing Windham. Doesn't that just mean more room for you at Hunter? What's the gripe? Message boards are a place to express opinions, including places you don't like to ski. Preaching that nobody should ever say anything negative about a ski area is a little too Fidel Castro for me. ;)

"Nope... just said I think it blows away anything in the Poconos..."---DMC

Some of just don't believe Hunter blows away anything in the Poconos, especially those of us that prefer steeper, empty headwalls. And especially those of us that put a great deal of importance on not just where but who we're skiing with. Remember the days you were hooking up with Pizza and all the other's when June was around?

OK, so back on the original subject:

Assuming they are all open (which looks likely at the moment), I would like to try one of the following:

Bellayre

Windham

Hunter

I've not been to any of these places before so would appreciate some input from those that have.

Please bear in mind I am only a relative newb so no serious double blacks please..(for reference, Cliffhanger at CB is OK if it's not too icy).

As I have the weekend, I could do two of these....

DMC, take a pic of Hellgate at 1:30pm on opening day and get back to us...

Hunter's longtime rep as having the rudest and angriest skiers/boarders on the planet may not be totally deserved (a previous thread not withstanding), but it's gonna be hard to dismiss the idea that it's not one the most crowded ski areas anywhere. Look at weekend skier visit numbers vs. acreage and then call it 'ridiculous exageration'.

Okay, feel free to bash away at me...

If you ski Hunter smart it's not bad, infact its very good. If you are skiing weekends, ski the quad early then go to the backside (Claires Way) from 10-1, then to the triple then back to the Quad bout 2:00. Skiing there midweek, you can ski all over w/o any crowds and some great skiing in.

Windham is generally considered a little more family friendly and easier for groups of varied abilities to stay together than Belleayre. Belleayre has a series of very steep black runs that run off the middle of the upper mountain. They have a terrific intermediate slope that winds around skiers left, but it takes a lot of snow for it to be open early. They've also added new non-diamond trails recently on the upper mountain, since it would pretty much split up groups. State owned Belleayre is a little like skiing in the 60's. An old lodge with a huge fireplace and nothing fancy. Windham is newer and has more ammenities.

You know how at many ski areas you can hit a diamond and meet up with blue square skiers mid-mountain, then ski down together? Belleayre has been notoriously difficult to do that. My wife and I would ride the lift together, then split up for runs.

Windham is generally more crowded than Belleayre, but seem to have better grooming and wider slopes.

Comparing them to the Poconos, Windham would be more like Blue, while Belleayre would be more like Montage. That doesn't help, though 'cause nobody has ever skied Montage.

If you're in the mood for a challenge and a bit of adventure, then I'd suggest Belleayre. If you want cruisers and groomers, then hit Windham.

im going up to Sunday river thanks giving weekend, does any1 know if thats good early season

Sunday River has amazing snowmaking thanks to the Otten days.

"Nope... just said I think it blows away anything in the Poconos..."---DMC

Some of just don't believe Hunter blows away anything in the Poconos, especially those of us that prefer steeper, empty headwalls. And especially those of us that put a great deal of importance on not just where but who we're skiing with. Remember the days you were hooking up with Pizza and all the other's when June was around?

Edited by DMC

DMC,

Don't worry about the folks saying nastiness about your mountain, we deal with it all the time..

Regardless of all this bickering, your point has come through as to what type of place Hunter (the mountain and town) is, and I plan to make my first visit and see for myself. This thread hasn't been a complete waste, as now I know a little better how to navigate the crowds, thanks!

Whatever ..... you win.... Hunter sucks - it's crowded and flat - the terrain is boring - everyone is mean - the moguls blow - and you can't wax for bottle caps and cig butts..... Doesn't have good vertical...

The Pocono's rule... Hunter isn't as steep as Montage... As cool as Camelback... As friendly as Big Boulder...

I'm cool with that.... But maybe I peaked someones interest in coming up and enjoying what little good things we have...

PLEASE stop with the depreciation/sarcasm depending on how you meant it... camelback, cool? get real.

I am going to try Hunter this year, mid week, mid season. I'll let you know what I thought, no bias, only a few pre-conceptions (how could I not after this thread...)

Discordial - If your a realitive noob - I recommend Bellaeyre..

Hunter opens tougher terrain early and noobs get hung up in the moguls... Their marketing person is my friend - I'll see her this weekend and ask whats going to be open...

Thanks, not only a relative noob, but a boarder to boot so moguls are not my best friend. I learnt alot about dealing with them on a board at killington last year but they still kick the crap out of my legs very quickly so probably wont be on my list of first weekend things to do.

I am going to try Hunter this year, mid week, mid season. I'll let you know what I thought, no bias, only a few pre-conceptions (how could I not after this thread...)

I can assure you you'll have a blast... and you won't be skiing though bottle caps and cigarette butts...

Look me up when your up - i can show you around...

:)

Whatever ..... you win.... Hunter sucks - it's crowded and flat - the terrain is boring - everyone is mean - the moguls blow - and you can't wax for bottle caps and cig butts..... Doesn't have good vertical...

The Pocono's rule... Hunter isn't as steep as Montage... As cool as Camelback... As friendly as Big Boulder...

I'm cool with that.... But maybe I peaked someones interest in coming up and enjoying what little good things we have...

I've always been interested in places that have extreme attitudes for and against... Because someone loves it enough to defend it... And someone hates it enough to tell the world how much it svcks...

Discordial - If your a realitive noob - I recommend Bellaeyre..

Hunter opens tougher terrain early and noobs get hung up in the moguls... Their marketing person is my friend - I'll see her this weekend and ask whats going to be open...

Theres a person that knows the in's and out's of Hunter...

also..

If you ski the Y chair on the weekends - you won't wait in lines even on the busiest weekend...

Make sure you plan on eating there, Hunter has some of the best food. Get the apple struedle, yumm yumm.

My opinion on the matter... (as if anyone cares)

Hunter early in the season is crowded. With only 2 real trails open, and a bunny hill, there isn't anywhere you can dodge the crowd. I spent a day early in the season last year and had a blast. Hellgate IMO wasn't that hard, and I'm a lousy snowboarder who only gets a few days on bumps a year. Maybe the bumps handn't developed enough?!?!?

I can't attest to bellyare's early season crowd as the only day I spent there was in spring. It was a cool mountain. Biggest problem is no high speed lifts. As I mentioned before Hunter feels like a bigger mountain. All the steep stuff is at the top. At least at Hunter hellgate spans the whole mountain.

If you don't mind sharing a headwall, go to hunter. If you can't stand laps on a fixed grip lift go to hunter.

If I can time up a trip with others on the site I will likely go to bellarye, otherwise I will end up going to hunter with friends from school. I personally liked bellyare better, but I had a blast at both mountains.