Stowe Got Dumped On!

vtboarder

Stowe's website says they received 11-14" since the storm started yesterday. Snow is in the forecast until Sunday and temps aren't getting out of the high 20's. I'm leaving tomorrow night to spend the weekend up there. Hopefully I can still find some fresh stuff in the woods. Looking like a great weekend ahead. Hopefully their snowfall totals aren't B.S. like Killington's always are :screwy

stowe.jpg

If anything id expect more. When i was at stowe for the storm in the beginning of March, they said 14-20. I found ALOT more then 14-20 on the upper parts of the mountains. The higher you go the more snow there will be. If you want freshies you can always hike. Sometimes you gotta earn your turns.

Edited by Switch096

SWEET! Have fun!

I wish there was that much snow when I went there this Christmas, actually I wish there was snow when I went.

Leaving at 1am tonight. I'll be hiking alot. I'm feenin' to ride some powder. Storm totals are 16" since Wed. Their picture of the day shots on their website are amazing. First time I'll get to use my 164 all season.

I'll try to get some pics and post a report when I get back.

You will find plenty in the woods. 2 weekends ago i was in chest deep snow at Stowe on more then a couple of occasions. Just remember DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT, go up the sunny spruce lift and then turn left right off of it and go onto west run. If you do make sure you stay on the trail. Dont go off in the woods to the right at the top of the slope, because you will get lost in a valley. I should know since it happened to me a couple weeks ago.

You will find plenty in the woods. 2 weekends ago i was in chest deep snow at Stowe on more then a couple of occasions. Just remember DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT, go up the sunny spruce lift and then turn left right off of it and go onto west run. If you do make sure you stay on the trail. Dont go off in the woods to the right at the top of the slope, because you will get lost in a valley. I should know since it happened to me a couple weeks ago.

Thanks for the heads up. The last thing I want to do is have to posthole out of the woods.

Any tips on what areas may still have some freshies? Or at least some snow that hasn't been tracked out?

I haven't been there before so any suggestions would help.

Stowe was great this weekend. No pictures (batteries were frozen), but we found some great powder in the woods. We did manage to get ourselves stuck at a stream crossing and had to hike about 100 ft. up and out on the first run of the day, but it was worth it. BTW, the woods where we got stuck were to the right of Nose Dive as you're looking at the mountain.

Only 1 snag all weekend. The FourRunner quad broke while we were on it, and unfortunately we were 1 chair back from the unloading area, which meant we were totally exposed to the summit winds, snow, and cold air. (Temp was 0 at the top). The wind was blowing hard from the right side and sh** luck for me, I was on the outside right of the lift, so I was taking the wind full on. The lift started back up after about 10 to 15 minutes but I knew I was in trouble 'cause the operator came out to meet me at the unloading ramp and was already pointing to my face before I was in earshot of him. He told me I had some bad frostbite on the right side of my face. He actually asked me if he could take a picture of it for their training seminars. I had a 3-4" porcelain white stripe on my face from the bottom of my goggles to my chin, the rest of my face was beat red. Kind of scary seeing the skin totally frozen and ghost white instead of just red, but the color came back after a few minutes and it seems to be ok now.

Trail of the day was west run. It was closed, but had calf deep untouched snow on it, so we had to poach it. Ski patrol was nowhere in sight so we hit it 4 times, and made fresh tracks every time.

Yesterday we hit up Killington. Best conditions I've seen all year. We got knee deep in a few areas. Parks were in awesome shape and the boardercross course was awesome. All the boilerplate ice was covered over and groomed, plus it snowed hard all day. Trail of the day was Swirl(?) I think it was called. It was the farthest trail to the right of the Ramshead header lift. Closed from top to bottom, but we poached it at least 5 times and were in the lightest natural snow I've been in since Snowbird. About mid calf to knee deep and perfect. Again, no Mark Millers anywhere in sight and fresh tracks every time. Definately the best weekend of the season.