Thursday 12/21

method9455

Hey,

I am definitely going up to JFBB on Thursday with my girlfriend, possibly some other people too. Jack Frost in the morning, break, Big Boulder in the afternoon. I will have a digital (still) camera, and will probably have some pictures up in this thread thursday night/friday to show how the park is setup. I'll be wearing my red jacket, white helmet, white/black checkerboard goggles, tan pants. If you want to ride with us, just pm me or when I'm up there my name is Kevin. See you guys out there, can't wait to see Merry Widow's jumps.

Kevin

didn't know where to throw this, but check out Mount Snow's blog:

http://www.mountsnow.com/snowblog.html

They got my first name wrong, but they had challenged anyone to find a bigger park on the East Coast then theirs right now, so I sent in that JFBB has more stuff up than they do (which is true) so they admitted they were wrong. Nice.

Ok so went up today, Jack Frost in the morning, Big Boulder in the afternoon. Have some pictures on the camera I'll put in tomorrow.

Jack Frost (9:30-2:30)

-Worked from the west side over to the east side, did each trail once. Good snow across the whole mountain, no dirt spots/rocks anything. They blew snow last night on open trails, and unopened trails. The snow started a little slow and firm. As the day heated up it got broken up into softer stuff, kind of corn but not quite warm enough for that, just soft and smooth really. Great conditions. No bumping up because it wasn't too busy (mostly beginners actually and I was on east mountain and One Park the most). East mountain (I've never seen it before) is hell of a lot of fun. Not sure what run I did, its the only one open, but it equals Challenge/Razors for me in terms of fun. It has those 3 drops that are great, narrow with a drop off on the right side for a little excitement. I saw glades up there that looked really fun if they get snow, and there are some sweet locations for jumps that land on the trail which was fun too.

-Hit up the intro park once there, I remember a flat box and a small jump. There might have been more but it was short, it is a fun run though.

-Spent most of my time split between east mountain the One Park.

-One Park:

Starts off with two rollers. There aren't the barrel jibs they mentioned but they could be putting them up this afternoon. The first thing up is a wide downslope rail. I really hated it. The rail is straight and smooth, but I think it is new? Or there is paint on top? But I have paint all over the bottom of my (new) board from that rail and it sucks. It needs to be scraped off by more people. I think my board will be okay after a scraping (if not I'll throw it over the base grinder at work for free nice) but still, lame. That, and the ramp for it is HUGE. I mean like, 10 feet wide, and about 2 feet high. I feel like I should be rolling into a 40 foot box but then there is this small as thing there. So you come up this ramp and the whole rail is hidden pretty much. Luckily it is so short you slide the whole thing every time, but its a massive waste of snow. I wasn't big on it and I don't see the point. Its not like you are even going to go wide and 270 or long gap onto the thing, it is so short you get nothing.

Then you roll down, 2 step down jumps. I would say they are the same size as the ones at Big Boulder on merry widow (20-25 feet) step downs, with like a 4-5 foot step down. They are REALLY nice. I would say better than the ones at Big Boulder.

You go down, small down box or 25 foot flat box, riders choice. That was a good setup.

Next, flat rail, 10 foot long with a solid ollie up to it, can't take it straight on. Pretty good setup, I liked it but it took a few tries to get the speed right, not many people were trying it. Next to that is a big open spot for a rail, probably going in tonight.

I was very pleased with the park, mostly the jumps. The snow made them very forgiving.

Big Boulder -

Showed up like 3:20pm - 5:15pm.

Hit up merry widow, boulder park, and the freedom park. The snow was bad. Coverage was good on everything but one side of Merry widow where it was more like the cat dragged mud across the snow than anything else. But the sun had beat on the snow all day and it was super firm. It wasn't icy yet but it was slick and turning to ice fast. Not their fault, snow looked DEEP on Boulder Park.

Big Boulder - didn't try the 40 footer, no comment on it. I did 3 runs through the park but the snow was really firm and I had been riding for almost 8 hours now, and I had stopped and had pizza, garlic knots, and stromboli. Wasn't really in a mood to fall on a full stomach. Next to the 40 footer was an easy down box, going into a long flat box that was really good. comes around the corner, 2 jump line. The jumps were ok, same size as Jack Frost, less pop on them, shorter landings, and firmer. I think the line at Frost is better but Boulder's isn't bad, the trail just isn't as nice for it. Then at the bottom a battle ship box on the right and a rail on the left. I did the box all 3 times, perfect setup. gap on but not difficult and very mellow across the top.

Went over to the freedom park. They replaced on the first left box with that picnic table. Still the same box on the right. Didn't much like the picnic table, caught my edge on it but that is more my board not being too tuned yet, and anything wide it hangs up on. The shape/size was pretty good on it. The box on the right is still nice.

Roll into a table with 2 ramps. I was doing the one on the right, seemed to be the same size, like 6-8 feet tops, pops you like 3-4 feet up. Nice to try stuff on. I tried to grab a spin for the first time, got stuck halfway and caught the heelside edge and went for a tumble. Even with the firm snow it didn't hurt so the jump isn't going to hurt you. Then there is the hip thing still, then another identical jump setup. You go down, same 2 down boxes, then 2 flat rails. There is a log QP/spine thing, but I couldn't get enough speed to get over it even taking 2 rails in a row into it, although I could almost get the stall. Probably the paint on the bottom of my board.

Bailed on BB when it got crowded/icy.

Overall: good riding at JF. BB was ok but the snow got really firm and I was tired so I didn't work it much. Weekend outlook is good, PLENTY of snow, park features for all abilities spread out well. I would maybe like to see that first down rail on JF changed a bit (bigger rail or a smaller ramp), but otherwise, all the setups were nice.

I have pictures tomorrow