"rain drops keep falling on my helmet..." (1/5 Report)

Matt

What up.

Here's the report for 1/5, WMMR Day.

Got there around 11:15, picked up my ticket. The ticket window attendant didn't even ask questions, he just freely gave me my ticket.

I skiied 'til about 3:45, it rained off and on all day ... no heavy downpours, just light rain. I think I wringed a gallon of water out of my gloves. The snow held up really well, patches of really soft snow on the side of some runs. There were a few rocky spots beginning to show up.

I skiied the east side and challenge all day, nothing else.

Tip of my Hat too...

1. my iPod for surviving the rain and being outside of my jacket.

2. the snow for surviving that well.

3. the amount of people still skiing in the rain

Wag of my finger too...

1. People who know they can't ski black diamonds, but ski them anyway. There were alot of them today trying to ski the east mountain.

2. The lack of the Ski Patrol being out. I was skiing the east side and a group of people were around this people laying on the bottom of the run, hurt. I did about 3-5 runs by them. The lift attendants called it in and said even they were suprised at the response time. Eventually, the NSPs came with the sled and got them out of there.

3. the fog, NOT THE RAIN. the rain didn't bother me at all, but the fog didn't make it fun.

4. While waiting for the NSPs to clear out the accident, they closed the bottom portion of the east mountain (that's not hte bad thing) , the snow wasn't good for boot skiing at all. I tried to boot ski, but had no luck.(<-- that's the bad thing)

Nothing too special to report today, just your average day of skiing. The rain wasn't a biggie at all. (besides, I've skiied in worse rain than this)

Overall, I give this day 6.5 Steezy's out of 10.

Edited by reynard082

Blue is bigger and better than Jack Frost. Jack Frost has short runs, and slow lifts.

Blue has (when it's open) Razor's Edge and Challenge connecting to the fast 6-pack or fast Quad and that beats Jack's East side by far.

I ski the diamonds and squares. Blue just has more options for me.

But for $9.33 a lift ticket, i'm skiing JF for the day.

Hey...

So I spoke to some Ski Patrollers about the comments you made about response time. And they made some good points.

1.) Weekdays have few patrollers on duty(about 10)

2.) Bad weather and busy days with few patrollers on duty keeps them in stations(This is so that they can respond quicker to a call when one comes in)

The Patrollers i talked to said on days with less patrollers they count on the public to tell someone. They said unfortunately they cant be everywhere. Since they are in stations when there are few patrollers when the call comes in from a Lift Attendent they can quickly respond. If no one says anything they said it will just take longer to find out for themselves. Sort of like the Ambulance/Police/Fire do, they can only respond when they get a call, if they dont get a call it takes longer to respond.

One Patroller i spoke too said JF is lucky to have so many patrollers on busy days that they can ski around and make their presence well known, but on days with less the patrollers said they have to be in an area where they can respond to any call on the mountain when it comes in quickly.

The Patroller i was talking to said if you come across an accident scene:

1.) Cross your skiis in the snow about 10 feet up hill from the accident.

2.) You stay with the person.

3.) Send someone to tell a Lift Attendent or another patroller about the accident.

all in all it was still a great day, even with the rain.

Who were the two dudes in the red car, think it was a nissian, they zoomed past SpecialK and I. We were in the red truck.

But yeah, a ton of people were inching down the diamonds. It was basically a slalom of kids that should not and could not make it down. We left that side once that person got hurt, they did shut it down.

I'm ready for the next 9.33 lift ticket, got my dollars worth