Rails Anger ME! HELP

Stash161

Alight i have a stash 161 but just bought a Dominant 156 for park and i'm haveing problems with rails. I've been riding for 11 years and have been everywhere on the east coast, usally been more of a Glades and trail rider as i LOVE POWDER.

Whats the trick for boardsliding rails? It is just confidence just do it and dont hold back? It is rounded edges on your board so you dont catch? Or speed? I have no clue. I have no problem 50-50 rails but when i boardslide i end up tilting back and busting my face.

Any help and anyone going to be out this Saturday that would be willing to help?

haha I give freestyle lessons at cb. The first thing you should learn when learning boardslides is go into a 5050 then open up your shoulders and go into a boardslide. Keep doing that earlier and ealier. Evertually you will get the feeling of being on a rail/box sideways. Just rember to keep your shoulders right in the middle of the board and not back or forward. Keep that base nice and flat on the box aswell.

bend your knees, start on a nice low box to build confidence. Like lib said, start going 5050 to BS before you 90 in the air.

Both Rails and Box's i'd love to get good at rails, anyone going to be at Boulder or Jack Frost this saturday? We were thinking about staying there that night for some partying as well. NEone IN?

This was my progression:

Dial 50-50s, land them 100% of the time.

When you get into board slides try what they're saying - rotating on the jib, but that won't quite get you there.

When you get to the part where you are jumping and rotating at the same time, move slightly to the side of the rail. If you are coming in backside, think your heel edge is in line with the outer edge of the box so you are slightly off center but just a tiny bit. Now when you roll in and jump/rotate, your body naturally will move a little bit towards the rail so it will straighten everything out. You should also aim like your taking a jump and want to land right on the end of the rail, this will help you slide the whole thing clean. The advantage of this is twofold, first it is harder to catch an edge this way because you will be jumping over the rail later since you are coming in from the side. Second, it is easier to progress up from here - now when you go into street style or downslope and other bigger rails - the coming at it from the side isn't an issue and you won't have to overcome and bad reflexes - and in the beggining it doesn't matter how you start really.

As for on the box - the lower you get the easier it is. The faster you go, the easier it is because you are on the box for less time so you have to balance for less time. Thats why you see a lot of people rocketing down rails - it is way easier to do. This is especially true of big down rails, if you just go faster you will air out farther and have to do less of the rail and have to jump lower. This isn't me ripping on people for going too fast to make it easy - this is me saying the only way to make the big stuff possible is to go much faster than you would think is the right speed.

Also, IDK if anyone else here agree's, but I found widenig my stance to the max on the board made rails 100 times easier for me to do.

stay low with knees bent, and lean forward if you are having trouble with falling back. just practice it alot...boardslides are now second nature to me and i can do them without thinking

^what he said

dont lean back

seen a few peeps break tailbones by leaning back to far on rails.

Stick with boxes (or wide rails) to you feel comfortable hopping on boardslide (almost like second nature) and then progress to the rails. You won't hurt yourself as much. Not that I am saying bomb the hill but rails/ boxes are easier to do faster then slower. Your also less likly to get hurt if you mess up as you'll clear the feature fast enough (taking from the side also helps). The right speed I find is landing about a foot to two feet in on the rail.

This is all my opinion/observations from my experience over the years. Anyone who disagrees, please chime in.

i have a little problem off comeing off. i balence perfect and everything till it comes to landing stright. how to i turn back to normal......i tried to do it like i was on my skateboard it didnt work. any help?

probably becuase you slide 6 inch high flat bars on your skateboard and you pivot on your back wheels to come off and ride away