Snowy start, Sleeting end

IrishSnow686

I got up to Blue at 6:45 tonight, the snow was falling pretty good, couldnt even see the top of the mountain. There was a nice fresh dusting to an inch on the trails. That little bit of snow covered up the ice but still gave the edge something to grab when turing. Challenge was a bit icy in parts up top but bounced back pretty nicely by the end of the night. Lazy was great as usual. Switchback has icy spots around a few of the turns from when I got there until the end of the night. Paradise was a prime shape. With only the 6 pack running, not too many people ventured over there... especially the red coats. I did 3 runs total down paradise, maybe making one or two turns.. the rest was a straight shot down. Main Street was great, had some bumps building near the moguls which was fun. I only did one run down Sidewinder, but was having fun on the lower sidewinder. By about 8pm, the snow stopped and then by 8:30 the snow started back up, but was mixed with sleet and possibly some freezing rain. The sleet really wasn't that bad, but towards 9 it really started to stick to my goggles. I tried to scrape of the ice but it just wouldnt happen. A few runs were tricky to see with iced over gog's. Still, conditions were some of the best of the season if not the best due to the little bit of snow that fell. I really though we would get at least 3-4 inches while up there and def never thought sleet would fall till later. Seems like the snow totals are going to drop way down from the original forecast.

I got up to Blue at 6:45 tonight, the snow was falling pretty good, couldnt even see the top of the mountain. There was a nice fresh dusting to an inch on the trails. That little bit of snow covered up the ice but still gave the edge something to grab when turing. Challenge was a bit icy in parts up top but bounced back pretty nicely by the end of the night. Lazy was great as usual. Switchback has icy spots around a few of the turns from when I got there until the end of the night. Paradise was a prime shape. With only the 6 pack running, not too many people ventured over there... especially the red coats. I did 3 runs total down paradise, maybe making one or two turns.. the rest was a straight shot down. Main Street was great, had some bumps building near the moguls which was fun. I only did one run down Sidewinder, but was having fun on the lower sidewinder. By about 8pm, the snow stopped and then by 8:30 the snow started back up, but was mixed with sleet and possibly some freezing rain. The sleet really wasn't that bad, but towards 9 it really started to stick to my goggles. I tried to scrape of the ice but it just wouldnt happen. A few runs were tricky to see with iced over gog's. Still, conditions were some of the best of the season if not the best due to the little bit of snow that fell. I really though we would get at least 3-4 inches while up there and def never thought sleet would fall till later. Seems like the snow totals are going to drop way down from the original forecast.

The snow was getting slow at the end of the night it was hard to see, the contest was good

It was getting near impossible to see, my gog's just kept icing up. I was wondering how the comp went. Figured the new snow would slow things down especially going into the jumps. Everytime I was on the lift, I never got to see anyone of the contestants hit one. Can a spectator get into the park to watch? It looked like the stairs were roped off so no one could get in but the competitors.