Tuesday February 20

SkiCamelback

Tuesday Feb. 20

Here we go -- the busiest part of the President's week is now behind us and the slopes should be considerable less crowded for the remainder of the week (until the weekend). 100 % open with a machine groomed packed powder surface conditions, with very good coverage edge-to-edge. Bumps are on The Rocket and Lower Cleo. Both parks and pipe are open including the extended rails and features into Lower Moores Ramble.

The current forcast has the Poconos on the line betweeen either a little rain or snow for later today and tonight? I bet it's going to be a few inches of new snow! I got out for the first time in a few days on Sunday and snaped a few Park photos -- if you haven't checked out the photos of the day go to - http://gallery.skicamelback.com/gallery/ .. The first (4) are part of a sequence -- I could watch this guy all day -- he was amazing!! Gaped the flat, landed on the down and kept on going!!!

Over the weekend I got to talk with a bunch of first time guests. Many asked if I had any "inside tips" for making their stay more enjoyable? My biggest was -- eat lunch at Cameltop -- no crowds and great view. I'd be interested in hearing others????

Thanks again to Buckman's, The Loft, Oakley and all the competitors that made it for this past weekends rail jam!!

Catch you on the slopes!!

Edited by SkiCamelback

I'd be interested in hearing others????

Sking on pres weekend is like going to the mall 2 days before christmas. It CAN be done, but you should really avoid it at all costs.

In the crowds I like to stick to the stevenson quad, or the raceway triple all day. I park by it, and never really venture over to the sullivan. Either nile mile or raceway will have the best snow of the whole mountain anyways. Cliffy and Pharoah are also a good time depending on what shape they are in. Cliffy holds up much better than pharoah, so even though it's "rated" higher, IMHO it's a safer trail to "test the waters" on.

Other than that, dress in layers, try to eat late or early so you can ski/ride while everyone else is in the lodge, and you aren't waiting for food. In the crowds it's suicidal to go fast, and you won't spot the rangers in time, so keep the speeds resonable especially on the green trails.

Lock up your equipment when you eat.

First hand report from this morning:

Conditions are still holding up nicely, I did 12 runs this morning, 6 off of each quad.

Asp & Marjies both very nice (if you have edges), not much surface but decent "pack" underneath allowing an edge to hold nicely.

Big Pocono was a little crunchy and rutted at the turn but should improve as it softens up with the warmer temps today.

Didn't do rocket but the bumps looked clean and well spaced, just not my thing on a board.

The middle green trails for crossing over from east to west were nice, not scraped off at all.

Nile was OK, lots of cord.

Cliffy was good but a little crunchy/scraped in places.

Pharaoh into Bactrian was really nice, fast and loose

Ceasars to near east to raceway was OK on top sections and lovely carving cord on raceway.

All in all, no complaints, no crowds, nice conditions, had my helmet headphones going this morning so my apologies to anyone that caught any of my "singing"

It's good that you'll still getting out with having a newborn baby...Are you taking advantage of the family leave act for time off work???

The what? I may need to know about this.... :confused

I'm taking an few vacation days and working from home so that I can help out for the first couple of weeks with the little one. This seems to allow me to go to the mountain first thing in the morning for a couple of weeks, either before work or as the start to a vacation day. :wiggle

conditions were good this morning but the overcast skys made it difficult to see bumbs ect..

Yeah, that "flat" light made it difficult to read the surface, I ended up riding with my goggles up most of time (and my eyes streaming), if it's the same tomorrow I'll try a different lens.

The family leave act allows employees to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid time off for a number of reasons including the birth of a child. The employer must continue to provide medical insurance during this time period along with ensuring that the job will not be replaced. I think it only applies to larger companies. It's kind of like a male version of maternity leave. But I don't see many breadwinners willing to give up a few months of income during a time when new-baby expenses are so high. I know all about this due to a Marriage and Family Sociology class I took in college.

I'm not sure this would apply given my visa status, and I have ton's of vacation time saved up for this anyway. My boss is being really cool about it aswell so I won't burn all my vacation days when I can do some work from home.

Sking on pres weekend is like going to the mall 2 days before christmas. It CAN be done, but you should really avoid it at all costs.

In the crowds I like to stick to the stevenson quad, or the raceway triple all day. I park by it, and never really venture over to the sullivan. Either nile mile or raceway will have the best snow of the whole mountain anyways. Cliffy and Pharoah are also a good time depending on what shape they are in. Cliffy holds up much better than pharoah, so even though it's "rated" higher, IMHO it's a safer trail to "test the waters" on.

i went saturday morning expecting the worst and planned to stay only until 11:30 or so (around the time the holiday crowd finally get out of the rental places). however, i was pleasantly surprised by the crowd situation. i used the quads about 3 times and stuck to the raceway and marc antony lifts the rest of the time. the marc antony one had no lines even during the expected peak hours since it is relatively well "hidden". it turned out to be one of my better days of skiing this year and i ended up staying 'til 3:00.

i would stay away from pharoah on weekends. it's labeled as a blue trail, so it attracts tons of people who really shouldn't be anywhere but a bunny hill. people can't handle the steepness, the sharp turns, or the narrow parts. it's fun to go up the lift and watch the crowds of people pizza-wedging down the narrow part and flying into the netting like insects flying into a spider web when they can't handle the last left turn.

i agree with the above on cliffhanger - it's the easiest black trail at camelback and i don't understand why it's a double black while the ones on the west are single blacks.

Edited by am476

i went saturday morning expecting the worst and planned to stay only until 11:30 or so (around the time the holiday crowd finally get out of the rental places). however, i was pleasantly surprised by the crowd situation. i used the quads about 3 times and stuck to the raceway and marc antony lifts the rest of the time. the marc antony one had no lines even during the expected peak hours since it is relatively well "hidden". it turned out to be one of my better days of skiing this year and i ended up staying 'til 3:00.

i would stay away from pharoah on weekends. it's labeled as a blue trail, so it attracts tons of people who really shouldn't be anywhere but a bunny hill. people can't handle the steepness, the sharp turns, or the narrow parts. it's fun to go up the lift and watch the crowds of people pizza-wedging down the narrow part and flying into the netting like insects flying into a spider web when they can't handle the last left turn.

i agree with the above on cliffhanger - it's the easiest black trail at camelback and i don't understand why it's a double black while the ones on the west are single blacks.

I was there too on Saturday all day and night and it wasn't as bad as I expected. Sunday was busier. For as busy a weekend it was the surface held up pretty well.

There is an earlier thread here about why Cliff is a double black. If I remember correctly it may be because of the racing designation or something like that.

The family leave act allows employees to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid time off for a number of reasons including the birth of a child. The employer must continue to provide medical insurance during this time period along with ensuring that the job will not be replaced. I think it only applies to larger companies. It's kind of like a male version of maternity leave. But I don't see many breadwinners willing to give up a few months of income during a time when new-baby expenses are so high. I know all about this due to a Marriage and Family Sociology class I took in college.

I'm taking a month when we have another baby...they let us use our sick time, so I'll be paid. I have 82.5 days saved and will only have to burn 20 to take off an entire month.