Observations about Killington

sexkitten

My co-workers and I were talking about my K-Mart trip and I realized there were some weird things I noticed about Killington that I had not expected. Take them for what they are....

1. There were no snowboarders. OK, I saw 3 in the parking lot one day but that was it. We even skied Bear for a while and there were none there. Hmmmm?

2. There were hardly any women. Everywhere we went (including the slopes) was a total test fest. I seriously only saw a handful of chicks the entire time and most of them were in the lodge. Come on women... represent.

3. The Brits totally out number the Americans. I'm OK with this one though cause they are way nicer than us.

4. There were no fireplaces in any of the lodges. We were in most of them and unless I just didn't go where they were there wasn't a fireplace to be found.

5. The food off the mountain was not that expensive. I was really surprised that they didn't gouge us at the handful of restaurants we went to.

6. The food on the mountain was horrible and overpriced. OK, I expected this one but paying $4.50 for a chip witch hurts me a lot so I put it on my list.

7. The "heated" gondolas heat vents never work.

8. The Snowshed crossover blows my Dad. Sorry, I had to put that one in. Why the hell would you make the trail that is supposed to get you to Snowshed quickly completely flat and in some places slightly uphill. Ugh. I hate polling.

Well, that's it for now. Agree, disagree, ignore me, whatever.

Edited by sexkitten

My co-workers and I were talking about my K-Mart trip and I realized there were some weird things I noticed about Killington that I had not expected. Take them for what they are....

1. There were no snowboarders. OK, I saw 3 in the parking lot one day but that was it. We even skied Bear for a while and there were none there. Hmmmm?

2. There were hardly any women. Everywhere we went (including the slopes) was a total test fest. I seriously only saw a handful of chicks the entire time and most of them were in the lodge. Come on women... represent.

3. The Brits totally out number the Americans. I'm OK with this one though cause they are way nicer than us.

4. There were no fireplaces in any of the lodges. We were in most of them and unless I just didn't go where they were there wasn't a fireplace to be found.

5. The food off the mountain was not that expensive. I was really surprised that they didn't gouge us at the handful of restaurants we went to.

6. The food on the mountain was horrible and overpriced. OK, I expected this one but paying $4.50 for a chip witch hurts me a lot so I put it on my list.

8. The Snowshed crossover blows my Dad. Sorry, I had to put that one in. Why the hell would you make the trail that is supposed to get you to Snowshed quickly completely flat and in some places slightly uphill. Ugh. I hate polling.

1) I've always thought there were a high number of boarders at Killington but then I mostly get there at the weekend, maybe more to do with the local weekday crowd.

2) not noticed this at weekends but you maybe right

Obviously I would have to agree with the latter part of 3)

4), 5) 6) dont spend much time in the lodges and don't care if they have a fire, if you eat on the hill you expect to get fleeced. if you think K is bad, don't ever go to Park City.

7) They have heaters?

8) I don't know your Dad, but I agree about the crossover, it's worse on a board so you just have to try and carry enough speed down the first hill.

1. Ummm you must not go alot

2. See answer 1

3. See answer 1

4. True, and very important

5. The food is good, the smoke house place near skye ship is the shit

6. True

7. They do work but are only on if it is really really cold, in the thirty plus times I was at killy they were on once when it was -30 with the windchill

8. True but why would you want to go to Snowshed

As a single guy,

this is a BIG dissapointment of mine.

Although,

I did meet my ex-girlfriend while we were both boading at Boulder. :)

I gave up on Killington a long time ago.

If I go to Vermont (I am this weekend),

I do Stratton, Snow, or Okemo.

As for the brit thing - the Alps are having a horrible year this year so that could have something to do with it.

Boarders - the percentage of boarders at places like Mountain Creek, JFBB, and other mountains around here is disproportionately high. When I was in Tremblant it amazed me to see very few boarders, and of those that did board they where all really damn good. The entire snowboarders sucking/scraping up the mountain stereotype here doesn't ring true at bigger mountains. Although I don't think Killington is as board averse as you got the impression you got. Most snowboarders from around here hit up Mt Snow, Stratton, Okemo or Killington. A few mention Jay Peak - but in general you won't hear of many trips to Sugarbush, Stowe, Smuggs, or going up to Sugarloaf, or anything like that from snowboarders.

The foreign employees - this time of year the cheap labor is in school (college or high school) and for the money they pay it isn't worth it for a 20 something year old who didn't go to college to work there when there are construction jobs and stuff like that with higher pay. So you get kids on their breaks from school working here - thus the foreigners. I've considered going and being a liftie at Snow Park NZ this summer, but I have no one who would do it with me so it kind of sucks and isn't going to happen.

1. i dont know where you rode at killy, but every time i've been there, there have been plenty of snowboarders.

2. again, i generally see plenty of women there, midweek or weekend.

3. i never took notice to this.

4. there are fireplaces. the lodge at the top of k1 has a fireplace in the center that you can sit around, but they always have the heat cranked in the lodges anyway.

5. charity's, caseys, and moguls are all you need. free food during happy hour.

6. bear mtn has really good food, and its not rediculously priced.

7. they warm up enough from having people packed inside, i never found it to be an issue.

8. straightline and tuck.

i was just there and had alot of fun but what happened with their parks. They were flat out terrible, nothing big at all. Whatever still a good time and the trees off devils fiddle are sick nasty.

Last year they were pretty good though this year I would wager the money and the sale had alot to do with their park plans.