March Skiing and Riding

SkiCamelback

Forgive me, I'm old. What's a "Gaper"??

From the Urban Dictionary:

"1. gaper

A beginner skier or snowboarder who has no clue as to what they're doing on the mountain. They crash all over the place and get in your way. Refered to as a gaper because of the gap between their hat and goggles, also known as a gaper-gap.

I couldn't ski fast because I was too busy dodging all the gapers

2. gaper

A gaper is a skiier or snowboarder who is completely clueless. Usually distiungished by their bright colored clothes and a gaper gap, the gap between goggles and a helment/hat. Gapers also do the "Gaper Tuck" which is an attempt at being a ski racer by tucking, however, it is done incorrectly with the poles sticking straight up like thunderbolts and lighting, very very frightning! Gapers also sit at the bottom of jumps and try and go big off table tops in the park.

1. My eyes are burning from that gapers bright colored clothes.

2. I fell off the chair laughing at that gaper tuck.

3. Did you just see that gaper getting landed on because he was sitting like a dumbass at the landing of a jump.

3. Gaper

1) noun: One who cannot do, and is generally found as an amazed onlooker when viewing any display of actual skill. Often relating to snowsports. syn; jong, nOOb

2) adj: As pertaining to one who is a gaper.

saw some gaper come up way short on that gap, looked really painful.

I can't believe I ate it on a gaper slope like that.

A non-local snowboarder who has no clue as to what they're doing on the mountain. They stick to the green runs and are found crashing the 3 miles to the bottom.

The bar was empty because all the gapers are on Schoolmarm.

6. gaper

A person found at ski resorts that:

1. is not from anywhere near the resort

2. Looks like an idiot on the mountain and takes gigantic turns on flat cat tracks

3. is totally oblivious to the fact that they look like an idiot and are skiing icy bumps directly under the lift when there is powder stashed all over mountain, or stashed in the trees right next to them.

Known for the "gaping" space between their hat and goggles.

Oh no! its presidents day weekend? The gapers will be out in full swing putting up yard sales.

7. gaper

tourist; referring to the gap in between goggles and hat most frequently seen on Southern Californians and people from Jersey who recreate in the mountains; usually accompanied by a Starter jacket

"Hey gaper, get in your Hummer and drive your ass back to Bayonne!"

So I take it on a "gaper" day we emulate them so as to make them feel at home or all the more to laugh at ourselves and each other?

yeah, get some 80's clothes, (preferably fourescent colors) rear entry boots, straight skis and see who can be the most outrageous...

Forgive me, I'm old. What's a "Gaper"??

Gaper

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Gaper on the front of "Van der Pigge", a pharmacy in Haarlem.A gaper is a stone black man's head on the front of a building in the Netherlands.

It is used to indicate that this building is a pharmacy.

The literal translation of gaper would be yawner; the figure is always displayed with an open mouth. Traditionally, the man depicted is of Moorish origin. The traveling salesmen of herbs and pills, the 'forefathers' of the pharmacies and drugstores now, used to have an assistant who would play the character of an ill man of stage. After taking the pill, the assistant (typically depicted as Moorish) would all of a sudden feel much better and perform a dance.

Later, when pharmacists opened shops instead of travelling through the country, the symbol of the Moorish man (often depicted with a pill on his tongue) would tell the illiterate audience that this was the home of a pharmacist.

Nowadays these symbols are rare, next to collections in museums fewer than 50 can be seen on houses