Stowe Report 12/22/07, Day 1

Justin

Just got back in from our first day at Stowe. Killer day.

Left the hotel around 6:20, hit up some diner a few minutes down the road for breakfast. The locals there were trashing Stowe, saying that its way overpriced, and over hyped. They recommended us to ski Bolton Valley, but we gave a group FUCK THAT and continued on to Stowe.

Rolled up to the base lodge at around 7:35. Booted up, got our 2 day lifts, and hopped on the Fourrunner Quad. Hit Ridge View to Lord for excellent packed poe. Near perfect groomers. After a few runs we hit Nosedive for some fresh powder with some rough ungroomed sections to the Gondola. Got third or fourth gondola and skied Gondolier with awesome hardpack as well. After that we hit Chin Clip. Huge, long, winding moguls that really burned my leg muscles. Generally stayed away from the bumps, although we did hit them again a few times on other trails. Hit a few little tree runs here and there and found a few nice ones, however they were already skied down.

At around 12 the lines really started getting long, so we headed out to lunch. I got this amazing Stromboli with Pepperoni at this pizza place on 108. Headed back and decided to check out Spruce Peak. They had their slalom course running full on with a long line for timed runs. Took the Sensation Quad for some runs on Upper Smugglers, Whirlaway, and Sterling. Headed back over to Mansfield and hit the park a few times. Generally I was kind of disappointed with it. The hits were real nice but the trail was so so short. They had a 2 jump line with three different take offs. I hit the smallest takeoff (20 feet) and clipped the landing a bit like a noob, first jump of the season so whatever. In addition to the jump line they had an A-frame box, flat box, down box, flat down box, up rail, wallride, and some barrel jib. I was hitting the flat box a lot, that thing was pretty perfect. Ended the day with a top to bottom Toll Road run with some interesting ski maneuvers taking place. Took the last lift ride up the Toll Road lift, skied back to the base and left at 4:30. Killer, killer day, and I'm sure I left some things out.

Was a great day. Snow was amazing. I'll try to fill in some gaps that Justin missed. It was funny at the diner. The locals were really trying to push us away from Stowe and go to Bolton Valley. The first few runs were the best runs in my life. The grooming was absolutely perfect. Us + Moguls = Bad News. Our first run down Chin Clip, I think all three of us went down at least 2 times as some time or another. So after lunch we went to Spruce where we were looking for "the mini park". Well we ended up going down the ski school slope. Was kinda funny. And then there was no actually mini park. I also tried my first box of the season. My first hit I fell and landed on my ass on the rail, that hurt. My second attempt I started to get it but then slipped off but no fall. Maybe tomorrow I will land one. So toll road is a 3+ mile run. It is ridiculous. Halfway down I tried to do the "lay down tuck" and my right ski kicked out from under me, and drilled justin taking him down with me, it was comical. Other than that, I think justin pretty much covered it. We got in 19 runs today. Wow my legs burn. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Wow I really enjoyed reading about your day at Stowe. You sure covered alot of ground...pretty much boundary to boundary. Did you eat at Piecasso or Pie in the Sky? Piecasso is on the right side of 108 driving down the mountain road away from the ski area and Pie in the Sky is on the left side, They both have really good pizza. Screw the crusty old locals telling you to ski Bolton Valley..sure you'll save a few bucks on lift tickets but if you're going to drive that far..you want tos ki Stowe. It's my favorite place to ski in the east..hands down..

I don't think their big terrain park is open yet which is on Tyro..

Pie-casso. That place is amazing. Too bad I'm feeling the after effects right now.

They're canning the "big" terrain park on Tyro this year. It's being relocated to Main Street, top to bottom, on the Spruce Peak. We saw the groomers building it from the lift.

Edited by Justin

Wow I really enjoyed reading about your day at Stowe. You sure covered alot of ground...pretty much boundary to boundary. Did you eat at Piecasso or Pie in the Sky? Piecasso is on the right side of 108 driving down the mountain road away from the ski area and Pie in the Sky is on the left side, They both have really good pizza. Screw the crusty old locals telling you to ski Bolton Valley..sure you'll save a few bucks on lift tickets but if you're going to drive that far..you want tos ki Stowe. It's my favorite place to ski in the east..hands down..

I don't think their big terrain park is open yet which is on Tyro..

We ate at Piecasso and they have the most amazing stomboli's ever. The big terrain park is over at spruce upper, and no it's not open. they were on the cats grooming it and setting it up all day. they didn't have any rails or anything over there so I doubt it will be done by tomorrow.

So two funny stories. 1st, we are eating at Piecassa and justin is chompin on his stromboli. We are talking about how we gotta sit and digest after we finish. Justin procedes to say "we have to wait otherwise I will be puking or sh*ting the whole time down the trail". He happens to say this just as our waitress is walking up behind him. She gave a funny look. Then about 20 mins ago we are eating at Applebees. Our waitress was pretty cool. Justin asked if he could get the quesidillas without Pico and peppers. She said No like most waitresses do like joking around. Then was like, seriously, no we can't. They are premade in the morning. Then we are talking about drugs for some reason and justin goes "yeah my social science teacher is a huge coke head" just as the waitress walks up. She replies with "well thats nice". And now justin has been takin huge sh*ts and our room smells terrible.

And one more funny story, I forced everyone on a gondola with these two dudes. Well they didn't know why I did. Well the one dude was wearing tight ski pants, the puffy northface jacket, aviators, and snowblades. I had to keep myself from laughing the entire way up.